IGNORED

02 1150rt headlight condensation problem

misterhoneysir

misterhoneysir

Has anybody run across their headlight fogging up/getting condensation on the inside? My bike is stored outside, no garage. When I go out in the morning, 39-50 degrees, there is condensation on the inside of the big glass lens. Some condensation is still there after about 30 minutes with both the headlight on & the fog lights on. Is there a seal that is broken? How big of a deal is this to fix?

There have been reports of the seal failing on occasional R1150RT's. They were at one time being covered under warranty, but of course that has passed. Sort of replacing the whole lens ass'y, you could maybe drill some vent holes in the back rear top?

Seal?

There are at least five openings into the headlight cavity, one for each of its five bulbs, including the parking light. Do any of these five bulb fittings have an airtight seal?

I definitely don't recall hearing a hiss when I changed a bulb, due to air rushing in or out when opened on a day when the barometric pressure was different.

Make sure the rear access cover is closed completely.

I inadvertently left mine open after a bulb change, & had an inside fogging issue.

Once I cleared the fog from the inside of the lense, & closed the cover, I had no further problem.

misterhoneysir

Thats a start. Thanks! How hard is it to get the glass lens off or out? Take the whole front fairing off? Would it require just a new seal or would clear silicone be better?

You could possibly run a bead of clear RTV silicone around the edge of the headlight lense to reseal it. But that would require removing the nose. Not too hard but can take some time. I had to do a similar job to my E320 wagon before it was killed beaten and mutilated.

I had to do a similar job to my E320 wagon before it was killed beaten and mutilated.
At least it was already dead before the beating and mutilating took place! lmao.gif
Thats a start. Thanks! How hard is it to get the glass lens off or out? Take the whole front fairing off? Would it require just a new seal or would clear silicone be better?
You do have to take the front faring off to get to the lens assembly. It is not considered a repairable item. I.e.- The seal is not available as a separate item. As mentioned you could try a bead of silicon caulk around it. Can't hurt, might help.

I know your bike is outside, but if you can drape a little heating pad(low setting) over the headlight assembly it will dry out. I ride in the rain a lot and do this every few days of riding. Seems there is a cumulative factor, eg. a heating treatment keeps me clear for many days.

Archived