IGNORED

UnRally '05 TOTW & Location Information ...

Spike

This week's tease:

20040904_108.jpg

The location of UnRally '05 will be in Staunton VA. Staunton is just off of I81 in Virginia and lies in the valley between two of the mountain ridges that make up part of the Alleghanies. North or South out of Staunton will put you into farm country with some beautiful views of the mountains on either side and plenty of opportunities to gaze at farmlands and the associated beasts of the field. Twenty miles to the east will put you at both the foot of Skyline drive and the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway where they meet. An hour to the west (thats an hour of back roads) puts you into the state of West Virginia where there is some excellent twisities in the western range. The 1.5 lane unmarked wooded road is king here where the riding is both rewarding and technical.

Announcements concerning accomodations, etc, are sometime down the road as we continue to put the package together. In the mean time feel free to talk amongst yourselves...

-- Spike & Crew

Though never having been there my wife had a dream about us moving to Staunton. Her exact quote was, "Some guy named Spike is going to invite you to Staunton."

Mark

A whole hours ride to get to the rally clap.gifclap.gif

Good location Spike,I believe the insane asylum is still there,we ought to fit right in. grin.gifgrin.gif

When? I'm thinking that this would be a great trip with the lone exception being I70 across Kansas at about the hottest time of year.

When? I'm thinking that this would be a great trip with the lone exception being I70 across Kansas at about the hottest time of year.

Early June is the "hottest time of the year"? If you believe that, you haven't been in Kansas during July and August! smile.gif

By now I've been a few times across Kansas, and after the first time I don't take I70. From Colorado Springs I would go South to Pueblo and then take 50/156/56 to Kansas City. About as fast as the Interstate, and you own the road. No traffic, easy passing if you have to, no bears - no business to be made. Just slow down for the one stop sign towns.

Awwwe Spike! So nice of you to put the Un at our back door... or did we move to make sure the Un was at our backdoor? dopeslap.gif

Eh... Whichever! It's all good! thumbsup.gif

It's only 78 miles from Lynchburg. I guess Shawn and I can make it. grin.gif

Right around 2550 miles for us. A nice little jaunt cool.gif

C'mon Kalifornia Krew! How many takers? clap.gif

If some of us easterners could make it to Torrey and/or Cody, you westerners can make it to Virginia. Unless you want to be thought off as sissies! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Well, the planning is already beginning in my brain and on MicroSoft Streets and Maps! Of course I'm still not 100% sure my boss will let me go - but I think between skeeming, lieing, and all together downright every form of trickery I can think of - Sun-joo and I will be there!!!

Of course, just as in the '03 UnRally we refuse to take the most direct route. Early planning says something like:

Across Texas to Houston (Sister)

New Orleans (never been)

Florida

Up the east Coast to Maine

Niagra Falls and Finger Lakes

New York - Visit YOU Rita Vira!!! thumbsup.gif

Down to the UnRally

Then home - however we want

What do you think??? Sound like an UnPlan???? thumbsup.giftongue.gifthumbsup.gif

Hmmm, suddenly Cody seems like it was in my backyard. 2450 miles for me and nothing but prairie and midwest traffic until the last couple of hundred miles. Still, it would all be new for me and maybe I could hook up with some of the Illinois or Michigan people on my way through.

Well, I booked off the time anyway and we'll just see what next spring brings.

Mike Cassidy

Lone_RT_rider
Awwwe Spike! So nice of you to put the Un at our back door... or did we move to make sure the Un was at our backdoor? dopeslap.gif

Eh... Whichever! It's all good! thumbsup.gif

It's only 78 miles from Lynchburg. I guess Shawn and I can make it. grin.gif

Yeah! What my better half said.... IN!!!

Shawn

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
New York - Visit YOU Rita Vira!!! thumbsup.gif

Down to the UnRally

Sounds awesome to me! Sylva should be going to the Un. This would be amazing we could all ride down together. Wooohoo!

Mark

Hey 1st Shirt,

Your bike will feel homesick. This is where you got it

No, not really. The bike was still an infant and doesn't have many memories of that area. And besides, I'll just show her pictures of Maryland during all your winter weather, and then open my garage door and say "Would you like to go riding today?" as she sees all this beautiful Arizona sunshine!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

And Mark - put us down. There's no way I'm taking Sun-joo back east and no making the Big Apple. (Even if I hate the Yankees - NYC's just something everyone should see. Just like D.C.) Tell Sylvia to start getting ready clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
And Mark - put us down. There's no way I'm taking Sun-joo back east and no making the Big Apple. (Even if I hate the Yankees - NYC's just something everyone should see. Just like D.C.) Tell Sylvia to start getting ready clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Hmmm... NYC is about 2 to 2.5 hours away from me. I know you western folk think all states here on the east coast are small, and that New York means NYC, but really it's a ways away from me. Also not a fun place to ride unless your crazy like mjames. tongue.gif

But you and Sun-joo are most definitely welcome here. We can work out the details later. Maybe a day trip to the city or something like that.

Mark

Hmmm... NYC is about 2 to 2.5 hours away from me. I know you western folk think all states here on the east coast are small

Mark - it's not a matter of what we think, it's a matter of actual square miles. Many of the eastern states would not even be counties out here. thumbsup.giftongue.gifthumbsup.gif

2 to 2.5 hours. That sounds like a grocery store run! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

But I will agree whole heartedly about New York. Most of what is best about New York is well outside of NYC, and many people don't know about it. I really look forward to riding out there again - it's been far too long. And besides, it will all be new to Sun-joo so I'll get to hear her over the intercom saying "Oh my, look at that!!!" I love the sound of her voice when she does that. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

C'mon Kalifornia Krew! How many takers? clap.gif

I've been to Kaliefor-i-a more than a few times, so I guess you aughta just count me IN!!

Um, let's see.... if I head out to Washington first and then make it to Staunton, that should be just about right.

(Yes, I do mean Washington state, not D.C. dopeslap.gif)

Can't wait - seriously. I had to take a weekend trip to Maine just to somewhat settle myself down. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all your hard work on this,

Kirsten

Hey Steve,

I was in Seattle with my bike, right? (Even if it got there on Pilgrim's truck)

If I can do it, you certainly can do it! wink.gif

Hey Steve,

I was in Seattle with my bike, right? (Even if it got there on Pilgrim's truck)

If I can do it, you certainly can do it! wink.gif

True, Paul, but you don't have an honest job!!! grin.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

C'mon Kalifornia Krew! How many takers?

Negotiations have begun, and may be ongoing for some time. Lets hope for a "no-strike, no-lockout" situation.

Right around 2550 miles for us.
And 2816.3 or thereabouts for us Emerald City folks. grin.gif
Steve: does that mean that you're IN?? thumbsup.gif You know it just wouldn't be a party without you! grin.gif

Kirsten: feel free to ride out with us if you need to put on a few extra miles--it'll be a pleasure to see you again!

Boney: are you talking about getting a "Kitchen Pass", or are you really in that hot a water with contract negotiations? dopeslap.gif Sure hope you BOTH can make it! After all, her bike knows the eastern part of the country better than yours! clap.gif

and BTW, we are SO IN!!!!!! We wouldn't miss it! (Oh, and Paul--we're gonna ride there! *cough* Sissy! *cough* ) dopeslap.gifclap.gif

Glad to see Jamie and Leslie Have committment- It will be great to see you both again-- clap.gifclap.gif Is that Old Guy from Washington state that dances with Marlene and has a religous cult, going to grace us with his smiling face confused.gifdopeslap.gif

OH by the way I am SO IN ---just one state and some great roads away from me thumbsup.gif

I can tell right now that one of the "long" routes will be a loop through New River Bridge W.VA. Probably be 300-400 miles but wow what great W.VA roads and views!

416130-NewRiverBridge.jpg.6f68ebcf3e1e6f1022df07d653f5e172.jpg

" Oh Shenandoahhhhhh, I long to see you. Far awayyy across the wide Misouriiii "... ahem... okay I'll quit singing.

but seriously folks, being a Virginian out here in the Wild, Wild West, I look forward to seeing the Shenandoah Vally and Blue Ridge again. Haven't been back in quite a few years and never on my moto. So plans are being made, conniving will commence so that my K can "Carry me back to Ole Virginnyyyy"

clap.gif

thumbsup.gif

C'mon Kalifornia Krew! How many takers?

Negotiations have begun, and may be ongoing for some time. Lets hope for a "no-strike, no-lockout" situation.

I too have begun to sit across the table, and with my newfound recent experiences, plan to crush the opposition!!!

However, the reality is much more leaning towards my own "crushment" !!!

I am tentatively in... assuming 8 months is enough time to complete negotiations, and United Airlines still exists this summer...

(edit)

And Jamie, the first reference is to the kitchen pass, but we are also going into "gun to the head" negotiations again for work.

smirk.gifsmirk.gif Let's see, from our home in Waynesville, NC, that would be 8 miles of regular road and 438 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway, plus the 20 miles west to Staunton. That would be a nice ride! I hope I can get the leave to make it to meet some of you!

Well, now Jamie - I might just have to take you up on that. Staunton, VA from Stafford, VA via San Diego, CA... sounds like that could be fun!!! grin.gif I keep talking about making plans to go to Alaska next year, but family stuff might make that a tad difficult. But Kaliforniaa... now that I might could do.

In any case, count me in - I'm working on getting Jennifer to come as well. clap.gif

Cheers,

Kirsten

(aka "that's Ranger Kiddo to you")

Hey, bring it, Ranger Kiddo! thumbsup.gif

But check with us if you're serious, cause it looks like we might be going to Virginia via Torrey! grin.gif I've got all my leave and sick time back on the books and we might just start saving up for a 3-4 week cross country trip! Lessee, the IBA meeting in Omaha in mid May, Torrey in late May, hang out in SW CO for a week getting the "feel" and looking at property, Staunton in early June, take the scenic way home--sounds like one helluva summer! cool.gif

I'm definetly IN... Going to make one heck of a trip out of it as well. clap.gif

Guess I'll have to stop buying photo gear to save up... Or just sell what doesn't fit on the bike anymore blush.gif

Anyone who missed the last Un.... well let's just say you don't want to miss this one too grin.gif

Rode up to Staunton yesterday to check out a few roads,the leaves are almost gone but the area remains beautiful.I like the back roads and there are hundreds of them in the area,here is a few shots of my favorite one.

DSCN1396.jpg

DSCN1411.jpg

DSCN1405.jpg

Gotta work on the photo part confused.gif

Todd, after our run down Wayah Bald Rd. a few weeks ago, you mentioned that there were many roads like that in VA. That last picture reminds me of that road.

Lone_RT_rider

David, you have no idea. Va has some incredible roads! I think I've died and gone to heaven. And trust me, if I forget where heaven is Mr. Falwell is about 300 ft out my front door to remind me. grin.gif

Keep teasing. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Finally a rally with a day's ride. grin.gif Well a loooooong day from S.Floriduh tongue.gif

It looks like it is a gorgeous area too, although I didn't expect anything else either clap.gif

Ok, I've been away for awhile, but when are the dates again? I want to come play. When I lived in Md. I rode my little Honda CB 750F on some amazing W. By God Va. roads. thumbsup.gif Un4 in Virginny, mighty fine. clap.gif

Archived