IGNORED

ST Melting Headlight Lens Cover

flexibleflyer

flexibleflyer

I have a 1200ST and just had the headlight lens cover replaced under warranty - the cover melted in 2 spots, directly across from the bulbs. Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking that this will happen again to the new lens cover, as it is hot to the touch after only a few minutes of the headlights being on.

Thanks, Bob

I suggest making sure the bulbs are the correct wattage. If they are not the stock bulbs (like 55 watts) and are over 100 watts (for example, I know some H-7 bulbs can be purchased in high wattages), then it would be entirely plausible for the the heat to melt the lens.

The obvious solution is to never stop and keep the speed high to cool the lens....

I heard of that happening to a guy in San Antonio about 2 1/2 years ago. Replaced under warranty. As far as I know he was running stock bulbs. That's the only instance I've heard of until now.

Frank

I have a 1200ST and just had the headlight lens cover replaced under warranty - the cover melted in 2 spots, directly across from the bulbs. Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking that this will happen again to the new lens cover, as it is hot to the touch after only a few minutes of the headlights being on.

Thanks, Bob

Bob are you talking about the front cover or the internal reflector? I haven't noticed this on my ST, but I have to admit I haven't looked at the headlight too closely.

flexibleflyer

Thanks for the input - I am running stock bulbs - I am referring to the large lens cover - if you have the chance, let me know if this is hot to the touch on your bike.

Thanks, Bob

Hot to touch and makes a nice steaming effect when stopped at traffic lights. thumbsup.gif Noticed since new and tonight also when caught in the city in the rain. Stock lamps in use too, well, stock wattage, Philips UltraBrite, which are also lasting much longer than the previous ones too.

Philips UltraBrite, which are also lasting much longer than the previous ones too.
Huh... I carry some of those around (haven't decided which to put in, those or the Osram's), but honestly, after 20k miles and nearly 1.5 years on the thing, I still have the factory installed bulbs. How long did your originals last to know that the UltraBrites are lasting "much longer"???

I'll feel my cover when I get home tonight.

I think I'm on my fourth set. The factory ones were burning out after say, 8k. I put the Philips ones in last year and this is most definitely the longest strech I've had without having to change them.

I have 2 years & 12k miles with my stock headlight bulbs and no trouble with my headlight lens yet. I get an occaisional lamp voltage failure indication but they are still working. So I might be changing my bulbs soon.

I just got my ST back from the dealer and put a couple hundred miles on it yesterday and didn't notice melting or an usual degree of heating when I came home and remembered to check this out. I have Sylvania Silverstars, but they are stock wattage.

Archived