IGNORED

TPS ----BBS adjustment question

SinNH

Ok, this only my fourth time "tuning" the R11 , the last couple times I had to lower my TPS "stop point" using the left TB stop screw to .303 from .370 as recommended to get my idle down to about 1200 with the BBS's open about one. My TPS lowest voltage is .007 and it acts smoothly up and down through the range.

The bike ran ok, limited surging but the transition from off to on throttle needed help to say the least. Sometimes it's really tough not to completely shut off the throttle.

So today kept the adjusted TPS voltage at .370 and got an idle with the BBS's closed of about 1050.

With the BBS's open about 1/4 out the idle is around 1200.

Question---is it ok to run with the bypass screws only open so little?

Balanced up nice with the Carb-stix, sounds good on the lift,even though the idle is a bit uneven .

Using a Fluke 73.

Valves are adjusted.

Thanks

Steve

the last couple times I had to lower my TPS "stop point" using the left TB stop screw to .303 from .370 as recommended
This is a R1100RT correct? (There is no model R11.) If you are referring the stop screw for the cable bell crack, that is the wrong way to adjust TPS voltage. The stop screw is factory set on a flow meter. TPS voltage is adjusted by changing t's position on the side of the TB.

At this point you have disrupted the flow calibration of the TB. Research "0-0" procedure and start from there.

the last couple times I had to lower my TPS "stop point" using the left TB stop screw to .303 from .370 as recommended
This is a R1100RT correct? (There is no model R11.) If you are referring the stop screw for the cable bell crack, that is the wrong way to adjust TPS voltage. The stop screw is factory set on a flow meter. TPS voltage is adjusted by changing t's position on the side of the TB.

At this point you have disrupted the flow calibration of the TB. Research "0-0" procedure and start from there.

Yes R1100RT year 2000.

After adjusting the TPS to it lowest voltage (.007 ) by rotating on the TB , then I raise the voltage to .370 as described in 0=0 using the stop screw. Before adjusting the actual TPS there is slack in the left cable.

ShovelStrokeEd

Go read the 0=0 procedure, you're doing it backwards. When the throttle plates are fully closed, one adjusts the stop screws till they are just touching. That is the first zero. Then you adjust the TPS to give near zero volts. I actually like a couple of millivolts above the minimum. Then you adjust the left throttle stop screw to 370 millivolts, turn the right throttle stop screw roughly the same number of turns and stop. Now, with the BBS out about 1.5 turns, start the bike and balance the throttle bodies, using only the stop screw on the RIGHT throttle body. Finally, trim the idle speed and balance with the BBS.

Well I guess I answered my own question, after doing 0=0 by Mr.Lentini's suggestions , but only having the BBS's open about 1/4 turn, it's the best the machine has run in the 22,600 miles I've put on it since mid June. The only difference from the last three times I did a 0=0 and sync is that I left the TPS set at it's low point this time at .370 and used a smaller BBS opening to maintain a 1100 to 1150 rpm idle.

Less surging, less backing off thru the exhaust, I suppose that's what should happen with smaller BBS openings since I'm running a tad richer I expect.

Steve, personally I’m not a big fan on that 0=0 procedure.. If done correctly it shouldn’t hurt anything but really isn’t needed..

Just MAKE DARN SURE your TPS voltage is below .400 volts at hot base street idle (preferably around .385 v).. If too low at base street idle it will mess with your decel fuel cut off.. If too high (above .4 volts) the system won’t recognize that the engine is at idle..

Twisty

Steve, personally I’m not a big fan on that 0=0 procedure.. If done correctly it shouldn’t hurt anything but really isn’t needed..

Just MAKE DARN SURE your TPS voltage is below .400 volts at hot base street idle (preferably around .385 v).. If too low at base street idle it will mess with your decel fuel cut off.. If too high (above .4 volts) the system won’t recognize that the engine is at idle..

Twisty

Twisty, thanks , you always have an informative reply, yes the bike runs much smoother with the TPS idle voltage around .370 as opposed to about .300. Most beneficial is the change of the surge/lunge/transition from off to on throttle. clap.gif

Steve

Archived