IGNORED

Fabricated ZUMO mount for R1200RT

Dietrich

This is for you people with basic skills who like to tinker a little. I had looked at a MIGSEL mount on e-bay but the bidding went close to retail. So, for 2 bucks I got a 3"X10"x1/4" piece of aluminum. Made a template out of cardboard, transfered it to the piece of aluminum. With a metal blade in my electric jig saw, cut it to shape, filed, sanded, drilled two holes for the mounting screws and tapped a 6 mm thread (drill 4.8mm hole) for the Ram ball in the centre. Bent it slightly to match the shape of the dash. Haven't painted the piece yet, but it looks ok polished as well. The ball mounts slightly higher and forward of the MIGSEL mount but is adjusted easily to a least view obstructing position. Works well, very little vibration and good positioning. Saved me a ton of dough. And it is a better location than the clutch reservoir mount that I had made before, it distracted from the view in the side mirror.

Centre%20mount%20for%20ZUMO%20003a.jpg

Centre%20mount%20for%20ZUMO%20005a.jpg

Me likey too. Need more specific details re. raw materials and where you got the shape. Maybe some closeups of mount itself. Are the mounting points strong enough--no flexing? Did you place any sort of rubber padding between mount and dash? Where did you route the wires? etc Me likey.

Hi, the material is 1/4" aluminum, the shape I made up myself, I wanted it to flow with the lines of the bike a bit. I used the same mounting points as the migsel mount. There is some flex, but it is the whole dash that flexes, not just the bracket. Rode it, found it ok, in the off- season I will take the dash apart to see if the mounting could be strengthened from underneath. Will send you some more pics when I get a bit more time, maybe tomorrow. It's miserable weather here. So, I wil be inside.

D.

Or if you don't want to drill any holes and would like your Zumo a little lower in your line of sight,( also easier to wire it up...), then you might like the mount I fabricated.

Made a few extra last time at the CNC lathe on my lunch break, if you want one PM me.

Click to enlarge.

miniimg2602bl8.th.jpg

garminmountonrt010sl0.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics002bi0.th.jpg

Jim W.

Yes, that is a nice way to mount the GPS, very solid. Nice job. Just with a tank bag the mount has to be raised quite a bit and then I find it in the way of the gauges. BTW no holes drilled in the bike with the dash mounting, two existing bolts can be used.

D.

There is some flex, but it is the whole dash that flexes, not just the bracket. Rode it, found it ok, in the off- season I will take the dash apart to see if the mounting could be strengthened from underneath.

Nice job and heaps cheaper than the Migsel, which I paid retail for.

Your comments about the dash flex are true for the Migsel mount too of course and the vibration tranmitted to the Zumo is considerable. I have also made a note to dismantle the dash and perhaps try to pack some high density rubber in there to make the whole unit more solid. Has anybody else tackled this problem and found a workable solution?

Here is a more detailed picture with approx. measurements. I do not hard wire the Zumo, but just run the wire to the left side power outlet. Another wire for sound into my tank bag where I keep the Autocomm. I just stick a small piece of double sided foam tape to the centre of the bracket. As I mentioned in a previous post, there is some flex which is in the whole upper dash, so I keep the leverage as short as possible when mounting the GPS. I move it as close as possible to the fully lowered w/shield. The vibrations are not too bad then. The advantage of the centre positioning in my opinion out-weighs the vibration issue. I obtained the material from a local metal shop. They always have some cut-offs lying around at a very reasonable cost. Centre%20mount%20for%20ZUMO%20002-2a.jpg

Just got a Zumo myself and was able to mount it to my RT with the Garmin supplied hardware...nothing additional required! Took the u-bracket and mounted to ball mount to the bend on the left handlebar just inboard from the clutch master cyl. It actually fits and fits solidly. The nylock nuts supplied do not thread fully but by using some threadlocker on the metal threads of the nuts, it is quite solid. I could take a photo if anyone is interested.

Archived