IGNORED

anyone wired a US power adapter to the bike?

yechave

We need power for our cell phones, GPS and camera. I don't see any reason to buy BMW adapters. Anyone already done this. The battery will be accessible for the 36k service in two weeks, adding a new battery mender harness anyway. I thought of just having them run another harness to the side cover so I could slice a US power adapter to it. Any reason not to?

Thanks!

finallyabeemer

Yep, very easy to do. The only reasons not to are size and quality - the Powerlets are compact and robust. I have been unable to find US style cigarette lighter sockets that are worth a darn - it seems all I can find anymore are really cheezy chinese made flimsy junk.

Have thought about switching to USB - power?

I have one adapter, Cigarette lighter to USB.

Plug in a USB hub. (four port)

Plug in USB-mp3 player

Plug in USB-cell phone

Plug in camera...no, that doesn't work. Have to charge some AAs for the digicam.

USB is low voltage (5V DC), and the hub is small and removable. USB cables are generally smaller than cig lighter, available on ebay, and often come with an AC adapter. Pick up the hub and cables, and now plug the whole mess into the hotel room, if you really want to.

Have thought about switching to USB - power?

I have one adapter, Cigarette lighter to USB.

Plug in a USB hub. (four port)

Plug in USB-mp3 player

Plug in USB-cell phone

Plug in camera...no, that doesn't work. Have to charge some AAs for the digicam.

USB is low voltage (5V DC), and the hub is small and removable. USB cables are generally smaller than cig lighter, available on ebay, and often come with an AC adapter. Pick up the hub and cables, and now plug the whole mess into the hotel room, if you really want to.

Yep, except I hard wired mine into the tail section, pulling power from the back light. I use that to provide constant power to my MP3 which is also secured under the seat.

Never gave it a thought. Won't work with GPS I have. Also don't see how to hook up the end to the battery with the USB? Will have to see if Advanced Auto has a nice outlet with waterproof cover, or maybe something online.

Most power strips I've seen are very poor quality, not something I want to spend money to have installed, nor have it fail when I need it.

I just can't warrant spending $25 for the BMW adapter, which I can only access from the front of the bike, and would only seem to be in the way for cell phone and camera use.

This trip I am expecting not to use the phone unless needed, take an A/C charger for the camera and GPS.

Just looking ahead in case I want to have a harness added on the Nov 13th when it goes in for service.

No garage, need trifocals the past couple of years now, and don't want to have to play around fixing anything unless absoutely necessary.

Greatly appreciate the tips!!

I hooked up a converter to charge the cellphone/video camera and run a waterpump before leaving on my trip last year. The waterpump was too small for what I was using it for...but I was still able to use the converter for charging purposes. Worried initially about heat, but never had a problem........

Pat

I mounted a standard cigarette lighter type plug in my glove box (radio compartment). I charge my cell phone and PDA in there. Very handy and an easy install. Also, out of the weather.

I'm utterly confused by this thread.

What is "US power adapter" ?

Reading the subject my guess was that this would be about hooking up a 12V - > 120V power inverter on the bike to have a 120V US style power (output) socket... but I guess not.

If this is simply about using BMW/Powerlet connectors vs. Cigarette lighter socket, then what's the question? (and point)

--

Mikko

Archived