IGNORED

Feedabck needed on BRAKE! LED tail/brake light

PRC

I have both the brake and tail light kit and HIGHLY recommend. Makes both the tail and brake lights modulate on braking as well as makes both the tail and brake lights running lights. One word of caution is that some states. ie New Jersey, have prohibitions on flashing red lights (other than hazardss). The brake light unit has a dip switch that will cancel the modulation if need be

Michael

I went to the "bike compatibility list" at www.homebody-design.com and saw that for a BMW R1150RT I should order the "BK-R1150RT" module. But that module is not shown on their product listing page .

So which module on that page should I order? I've emailed the company asking this question. Their website is somewhat confusing.

Is this one of the best LED taillight replacement products out there? At $115 it a bit expensive. Any others as good, but cheaper? I don't mind paying the money if it will make a real difference.

Last year I installed LED brake lights on my 1959 356A Porsche (replacing the stock incandescent bulbs and using the original taillight assembly) and saw about a doubling in brightness, but other vintage Porsche owners have told me they don't see much difference at all.

So which module on that page should I order? I've emailed the company asking this question. Their website is somewhat confusing.

Is this one of the best LED taillight replacement products out there? At $115 it a bit expensive. Any others as good, but cheaper? I don't mind paying the money if it will make a real difference.

Barry,

LEDS come in different qualities, but rest assurred that this product is one of the best out there. It is not just a LED but also a modulator, so the cost is where it is.

As for the right model, I would call them to ensure a quick and accurate ordering.

Michael

One of the first things I added to my bike. Has worked great over the last 3 years. Make sure you set the flashing timing before you install it...

Nothing but good things to say about it. I also added the BMW secondary brake light. It works as a running light and also strobes (before staying solid and bright) when applying the brakes.

850661-brakelights03.jpg

I bought them for my LT about a year and a half ago...and don't see them on their listing either!!??? Strange...

I do like how they work though...........

Pat

Nothing but good things to say about it. I also added the BMW secondary brake light. It works as a running light and also strobes (before staying solid and bright) when applying the brakes.

So you have the Brake! unit set to pulse AND the BMW secondary light set to strobe as well? I wonder if that is almost too much for the drivers behind you, it might be rather disconcerting. I know, you want their attention, but you don't want them to get pissed off. wink.gif

I see you are located in California, as am I. Can both units be set to pulse for a maximum of 4 seconds, as CA law allows?

Thanks.

It is not just a LED but also a modulator, so the cost is where it is.

Nonsense.

The cost to modulate the BRAKE! light is zero. They use a $5 PIC microcontroller to run the thing. The modulation is simply programming.

I built a similar unit (with MUCH brighter Luxeon LEDs) with no micro at all. It, too, modulated the brake/tail lights. To anyone skilled in analog design, using a microcontroller for this is absurd overkill. My design was done with no micro and total parts cost (except for the Luxeon LEDs) was about $3.00.

The BRAKE module is made a few miles from where I live, so I had the opportunity to buy my set directly from the maker.

He has modified the original multi-LED plate with a simple module that use two very high output LEDs. In the picture below the upper module is for the brake light and the lower module is an accessory that boosts the tail light intensity and illuminates the licence plate.

IMG_01701.jpg

The two modules only take a minute to install. Here is a shot from behind:

IMG_01781.jpg

I am really happy with the lights. My brother tells me the lights are really irritating from behind, which in my mind is evidence that they can't be ignored. I actually have these two modules upside down. You'll note the top LED is a slightly different shape. This is the one that deflects light downward to illuminate the licence plate.

IMG_01761.jpg

i had one installed ,,,,nothing but trouble until my mechanic said to buy hyper lights and nothing else!!! i did so and never had another problem

i had one installed ,,,,nothing but trouble until my mechanic said to buy hyper lights and nothing else!!! i did so and never had another problem

Mine works great. I'm thinking maybe you need a new mechanic, i.e., maybe he didn't install it properly. Nothing against Hyperlights, though.

Do they make something for the newer R1200RT (07) ???

thanks

Denis confused.gif

No.

R1200-RT uses pulsed DC for both tail and brake light functions, changing the duty cycle to differentiate between tail and brake brightness.

The current brake! product requires steady DC.

I see you are located in California, as am I. Can both units be set to pulse for a maximum of 4 seconds, as CA law allows?

Hey I just learned something new... and I thought I knew it all dopeslap.gif I had to go look it up...

From the California Vehicle code...

25251.5© Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 (this is just the section requiring you to have a stoplamp) may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of the brakes.

I'd never heard of this. I can all but guarentee you'd never get a ticket for it though. First off no one knows its on the books. And secondly, I think most motor cops would just be impressed that you took steps to help prevent yourself from being rearended.

Since the BRAKE! unit has programable settings, there may be a setting that does comply with this. I know the default setting mine on flashes WAY more than 4 times in 4 seconds.

The BMW secondary brake light I bought I think does comply. If I recall correctly, it flashes 3 or 4 times before staying solid.

I just called the Brake! company. As they are Canadian, they were polite and helpful. grin.gif (full disclosure: my spouse is Canadian). The apologized for their website being out of date, the module numbers they show online are all incorrect, they've gone to a new system. For a BMW R1150RT the module # is BK0105.

Also, their lights are adjustable to flash for 1, 1 1/2, or 2 seconds, no longer. But really, 2 seconds is plenty. Much more than that and I think it would get annoying.

I've ordered one, total with shipping is $120.

Note: they're having problems with their toll free 877 number, so call them at 250.370.0802 or email.

I have both Brake! modules in my bike. In addition I added the RTP warning light plate and installed Whelen 500 series brake lights. The Whelens flash four times before going steady state. But with the Brake! modules flashing they are hardly noticeable. The round lights are just marker lights I picked up at a truck repair shop for <$10 ea.

dscn0261yn7.jpg

I have developed a rear tail & brake light system, P3 Lights, that works on the R1200RT, as well as the R1200GS and K1200GT (and all other motorcycles, actually). These BMW models use the new BMW system of activating the brake light as a tail light by sending it reduced power. P3 Lights detects this automatically and pulses the supplementary brake lights when the brakes go on. I am not aware of any other brake light system that works with these models.

The tail light function is also modulated, at a just-noticeable rate that makes your bike very conspicuous from behind. It is of course CAN-bus compatible.

The system is programmable via the brake lever - no need to fiddle with switches, and can be configured to flash 4 times, 8 times (4 fast/4 slow), or not at all. It also offers several emergency modes.

Much more information is available at P3Lights.com

I have both Brake! modules in my bike. In addition I added the RTP warning light plate and installed Whelen 500 series brake lights. The Whelens flash four times before going steady state. But with the Brake! modules flashing they are hardly noticeable. The round lights are just marker lights I picked up at a truck repair shop for <$10 ea.

Could you clarify in your photo which is the " the RTP warning light plate" (I don't know what that is) and which are the "Whelen 500 series brake lights"? I'm confused. confused.gif

I assume the "round lights" are the lowest ones that are round. Guess I'm not totally confused. wink.gif

Thanks.

Well I met with a nice fella from Jax and bought his two that he wasn't using anymore (and then went for a nice ride with him) and what a difference. Took a whole 7 minutes to install. Nobody seems to want to get close to me. I highly recommend the BRAKE! LED's.

Could you clarify in your photo which is the " the RTP warning light plate" (I don't know what that is) and which are the "Whelen 500 series brake lights"? I'm confused. confused.gif

I assume the "round lights" are the lowest ones that are round. Guess I'm not totally confused. wink.gif

Thanks.

I don't have a pic of the reat of my bike in the day or a front view of the plate but here is the Code 3 version on a Winston Salem PD bike.

dscn0192dv0.jpg

here is the back view of the plate that is on my bike. the Whelens are the ones that say Whelen wink.gif

dscn0249ae6.jpg

here is a rear shot with the Whelen strobe lights, red and blue rectangles. The round blue lights are steady marker lights.

r1150rtprearkb0.jpg

Archived