IGNORED

R1200ST replacement seat....

HexHead

I've sent several of these in the past. The first couple of times I got reponses like "if we get more demand we will do this" but lately it's been more like "sorry, aint gonna happen".

When I was there they told me emphatically that they will never make a seat pan for hte ST since the bike is no longer in production.

Apparently that ship has sailed.

JT

Hi,

Corbins SUCK.

Now that I've expressed my humble opinion,here is a better solution.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/bmw.htm

Scroll about a third of the way down the page to the section titled premium foam upgrade and click on the 1200ST link.

The ultimate for you is to have Russell,Either Mayer brother or Rick's Custom Saddles build you a saddle.

JR356

Hi,

Corbins SUCK.

Scroll about a third of the way down the page to the section titled premium foam upgrade and click on the 1200ST link.

The ultimate for you is to have Russell,Either Mayer brother or Rick's Custom Saddles build you a saddle.

JR356

I really don't want to just send my stock seat off to have it carved up. If I don't like the results, I'm screwed. Even dealer cost on a low seat for instance (just to get spare pan) is about $200, so I don't want to spend $600 on a seat I may or may not like.

Hi,

Corbins SUCK.

JR356

I really don't want to just send my stock seat off to have it carved up. If I don't like the results, I'm screwed. Even dealer cost on a low seat for instance (just to get spare pan) is about $200, so I don't want to spend $600 on a seat I may or may not like.

Rick Mayer has experience building saddles for the ST, including mine. So far I've only heard positive feedback. Having owned a couple of Corbins in the past, I'd opine that the RM saddle is a much better choice. With Corbin, unless you do the custom ride-in thing, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. My Corbins were okay, in terms of comfort, but much heavier, with not-so-great fit. With a maker like Rick Mayer or Russell, you have the option of further modifications until you get it "just right."

As a side note--and trying to to make this seem like too much of a slam--Corbin's customer service seems to have gone pretty far downhill in the past few years. However, whatever you choose I hope you're happy with the end result.

Corbins SUCK.

Wow.

A lot of hate on this board. I have had 6? corbins now, two of them custom. ALL of them improvements over stock. Corbin is a big company making zillions of seats for zillions of bikes. They do have a custom shop as well, which does a very good job.

Yes, corbin's foam is a bit harder than the typical mush out there, but if a hard foam is cut to the right dimensions it will feel a lot better over long distance/time.

Honestly thoguh, if someone is looking for a replacemnt seat for the ST you are going to have to drive it in if you want to insure a good fit. That is the *only* way Corbin will do it. If you feel comfortable letting one of the Meyer spin-offs hack up your seat and make a SWAG at your butt-size, then feel free to mail your one-and-only pan off and deal with the downtime.

As to seargent, I understand some wierdos like them ( wink.gif), but a rehashed stock seat is not where I would choose to spend my $$$.

JT

Well, I kinda did the best of both worlds. I did a ride-in to Rich's, and I bought an additional stock seat off eBay for about $70 shipped (from Max's no less). You know, just in case. smile.gif

I'm not really a Corbin fan either, but I don't have vast amounts of experience with them either. I've ridden HotJamie's f800 and sat on a cruiser with a Corbin. They're not awful, but both have minor quality issues. However, if one really fits you, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. (And yes, both are an improvement over stock.)

You don't have to have down time with Rick Meyer he has stock pans to build on then you send him your seat after he sends you the new ones. After feeling the demise of Corbin quality and customer service over a 19 year period through six seats I wouldn't touch them again.

I have the low seat, I'd like the stocker for $70, do you know if they're still available?
They come up from time to time. I just search for "r1200st" from time to time. It's not a "normal deal" that anyone is offering. It's just not a really popular item so when someone offers one, no one really bids. And take it from someone who has done several hundred miles on the low seat and the regular seat: The low seat is much more comfy.

Thanks for the "hunting" techniques for Ebay. I will give the low seat a fair shot. I've learned that "counter intuitive" often works when it refers to motorcycling. eek.gif

My knees don't like even the regular seat in the low position.
I actually have a hard time riding with the stock seat in the high position. (Lack of comfort issues aside). It just feels like I'm too high up on the bike - even though I'm only an inch or so higher. With that said, I rarely use the low position any more. My custom seat cut away so much foam that the high position is pretty much perfect for me. I only use the low position to p-utz around town. (gotta love the word filters when the word is used correctly in a non-derogatory way...)
My knees don't like even the regular seat in the low position.
I actually have a hard time riding with the stock seat in the high position. (Lack of comfort issues aside). It just feels like I'm too high up on the bike - even though I'm only an inch or so higher. With that said, I rarely use the low position any more. My custom seat cut away so much foam that the high position is pretty much perfect for me. I only use the low position to p-utz around town. (gotta love the word filters when the word is used correctly in a non-derogatory way...)

In terms of seat comfort, the best was to have the seat articulated. High position in front and low position at rear. Kept me from sliding forward, but my knees were too cramped.

My wife likes me to keep my seat in the high position too, she got too much wind buffeting when it was in the low position.

In terms of seat comfort, the best was to have the seat articulated. High position in front and low position at rear. Kept me from sliding forward, but my knees were too cramped.
Yup - used to do that too.

bikeshot1.jpg

Beautiful pic! Lake Tahoe???

I was riding my stock seat in the front lower, back higher position, but I got uncomfortable with the lack of support in the middle since the rubber support mount does not have a positive contact.

Now I am riding in the lower position even though I am 6'0" with a 34" inseam. The knees are a bit skrunched, I admit, but I agreethat the riding position feels too 'high' if I have the seat in the higher location.

JT

Beautiful pic! Lake Tahoe???
Crater Lake, OR. I think I actually have never stopped to take a pic in/near Tahoe. Hmmm... Next trip I guess.

And yes, the high/low positioning of the seat was just a minor stop-gap for me. It was better, but the low seat was still more comfy for me. I still had a hard time going tank to tank. Of course, my custom one made both of those a moot point.

Hi,

Corbins SUCK.

JR356

Rick Mayer has experience building saddles for the ST, including mine. So far I've only heard positive feedback. Having owned a couple of Corbins in the past, I'd opine that the RM saddle is a much better choice. With Corbin, unless you do the custom ride-in thing, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. My Corbins were okay, in terms of comfort, but much heavier, with not-so-great fit. With a maker like Rick Mayer or Russell, you have the option of further modifications until you get it "just right."

As a side note--and trying to to make this seem like too much of a slam--Corbin's customer service seems to have gone pretty far downhill in the past few years. However, whatever you choose I hope you're happy with the end result.

Rick makes fine seats for the ST, and the GS. I have one on my GS, and Tina has one on her ST. Both are quality, and comfortable!

Rick-Mayer-Seat.jpg

rm-seat-top-best.jpg

That said, his customer service rivals Corbin's for sucking! dopeslap.gif

He was 6 weeks late on Tina's seat, badgered her against his own rules for return of her seat. She had 30 days, and within two weeks was sending threatening e-mails to her, and illegally charged her credit card without her permission for the seat deposit she wasn't supposed to have to pay per their sales agreement she had in writing, then did not give her the items he promised, a T-shirt and leather conditioner.

He was also 2 weeks late on mine, and sent a couple sarcastic e-mails to me, when all I did was ask when my seat was coming.

He has a lot to learn about business, though his seats are fine.

If you decide to order from him, especially if he is supplying the seat pan, be preparred for a lot of hassle, and long wait times.

Jim cool.gif

If you decide to order from him, especially if he is supplying the seat pan, be preparred for a lot of hassle, and long wait times.

Jim cool.gif

That's good to know, but I'll add that my experience was the opposite of yours. They met all their commitments, got the seat to me on time, and were pleasant to deal with. I have seen other posts here, though, indicating that he often gets behind schedule. It probably helped that I ordered my seat during the winter, when there are fewer orders.

This is my seat:

IMG_1668.jpg

Jim cool.gif

That's good to know, but I'll add that my experience was the opposite of yours. They met all their commitments, got the seat to me on time, and were pleasant to deal with. I have seen other posts here, though, indicating that he often gets behind schedule. It probably helped that I ordered my seat during the winter, when there are fewer orders.

Of course, like Corbin, whom I never had an issue with. No doubt more often than not he does well. The true calibur of a business is not how they do when everything goes well, but how they handle mistakes.

Thanks Mike.

Jim cool.gif

Archived