IGNORED

Intermittent high pitched whine

MotorinLA

Bike: 2002 R1150RT

Recently the bike has intermittantly been making a high pitched whine on 100+ mile rides. The pitch of the whine varies with the speed of the bike, but is independent of engine speed. There does not appear to be any reduction in the performance of the bike, at least not so far. confused.gif

Should I be worried?

How are your tyres? as they start to wear you get a noise from the tread pattern. This is louder id trhe tyre is cupped. I had a set of Avon Azaros on once that was so noisy the dealer stripped the final drive and gearbox looking for the problem - luckily this was on warranty.

Andy

How are your tyres? as they start to wear you get a noise from the tread pattern. This is louder id trhe tyre is cupped. I had a set of Avon Azaros on once that was so noisy the dealer stripped the final drive and gearbox looking for the problem - luckily this was on warranty.

Andy

The tires look okay. The noise doesn't change with the angle of the bike. confused.gif

You don't mention it, but do you have any communication systems attached to the bike (in helmet audio, Autocomm intercom...).

For the longest time I tried to track down a similar noise in my bike that resolved itself when I made an adjustment to my Autocomm. Wasn't the bike at all, it was the speakers in my helmet that were making noise.

Given that you've said it shows up after 100+ miles, this is really a longshot, but figured still worth the mention.

Archived