IGNORED

i think i want one of these bm's

millwallfcuk

hello everyone,

first post here as i'm wanting to trade my triumph tourer in for a bmw rt.

I though i'd seek your good advice on the difference between the 1100, 115o. Obviously there is a difference in cc but cosmetically they seem the same other than the headlight slight differences. confused.gif

Also the topbox looks and odd shape and i'm not sure the usual tent, bags etc for trips into europe will fit... how do people get on with this...

clearly you'll all recomend the bike and i like the looks but whats it like to ride?

thanls in advance! thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

1150 has:

50 more cc's

slightly different styling

Better forward lighting

17" rear wheel (so you can find replacement tires pretty much anywhere. The 1100 has an 18" rim that requires a tire that is not used anywhere else in the free world.)

6 speed transmission. 1100 has 5. Note: many people (myself included) feel that the gear ratios of the 6spd that is in the 1150RT are not very intelligent...5th is too short, and 6th is way too tall.

Servo assisted brakes. Basically power brakes. There's a thread going on in this forum about servo brakes right now...check it out to see the details

fully-linked brakes. The front brake lever actuates the front and rear brakes. The rear brake pedal actuates the front and rear brakes. The rider has SOME ability to control front/rear bias, but not much.

There are a few other minor differences (slightly different switchgear, different motronic, etc), but those are the big differences.

Personally...I don't care for the 6spd, the servo brakes, or the fully-linked brakes. The fully-linked brakes would prevent me from ever owning an R1150RT.

The topcase: Yes...it's a strange shape and you give up capacity for looks.

If the capacity is an issue, you can replace the BMW topcase with a Givi case which is a more traditional shape, and is bigger.

A Millwall fan in Nottingham? That must be as rare as a Man-U fan who lives in Manchester grin.gif

I have an R1150RT and I opted for a Kappa rack and top-box, which Pidcocks fitted for me. I had the BMW one on my first RT and I found you could not get a helmet in it without a lot of messing about and nothing else in there.

Perversely the 1150 is a bit easier on fuel than the 1100, with the later (mid 2003 on) twin-spark model better than the earlier 1150.

Which Trumpet do you have? I had a 1200 Trophy a few years back.

Andy

If you can afford it, the R1200RT is an improvement over the R1150RT (...ducking and running for cover...)grin.gif. The improvements from the 1150 to the 1200 are essentially the same ones as listed by Russell for the 1100 to 1150, with the 1200 being a further improvement over the 1150. The braking system has also changed for the better (...ducking again...)tongue.gif. I personally also prefer the body styling of the 1200, but that is obviously a matter of taste.

R1100RT, R1150RT, R1200RT are all good bikes and I'm sure you'd be pleased with the purchase of any one of them.

I have had both a 1100 and an 1150 and the 1150 (mine is a twin spark) is a better bike. The 6 speed tranny is fine and Ihave no complaints about the ratios...5th is for passing 6th is for cruising.....if you want a sport bike get something else (1200gt perhaps) but the 1150 is a very capable bike (as was the 1100). I know that everyone has their differing opinions on the brakes but personally the first time you need both brakes NOW the linked ones make perfect sense. Want to do some major track days? Buy a different bike so you can do the trail braking thing and drag some hard parts, but short of that the linked brakes are a non-issue in my experince (44K on my 2004)....

The 1200 is just way too ugly to even consider... lurker.gif

russell_bynum
If you can afford it, the R1200RT is an improvement over the R1150RT (...ducking and running for cover...)grin.gif. The improvements from the 1150 to the 1200 are essentially the same ones as listed by Russell for the 1100 to 1150, with the 1200 being a further improvement over the 1150. The braking system has also changed for the better (...ducking again...):P. I personally also prefer the body styling of the 1200, but that is obviously a matter of taste.

R1100RT, R1150RT, R1200RT are all good bikes and I'm sure you'd be pleased with the purchase of any one of them.

I'd agree. If I was on a budget, my preference would be R1100RT, then R1200RT.

If I wasn't on a budget it would be the R1200RT...preferably the new one that doesn't have servo brakes.

Am I the only one who childishly giggles, thinking crude jokes, whenever our friends across the pond call them "BMs"?

Greg, you really need to get your mind out of the toilet {childish giggle...}grin.gif

russell_bynum
Am I the only one who childishly giggles, thinking crude jokes, whenever our friends across the pond call them "BMs"?

Sadly, no...you're not. I have to admit it gets me too.

There you have it folks....me.....the very model of maturity and class, laughing at poo jokes.

Back in the middle 60's was the first time I heard the BMW referred to as a BOWEL MOVEMENT on WHEELS by a member of the Chosen Few MC Club. I laughed at it then!

Nope, count me in. I was honestly surprised that it took this long for the topic to come up.

James, welcome , I've really only rode my 1150 04' and a k100.

I've found that the R1150RT has kept me happy enough that I haven't had a roving eye toward another bike

I have one of the last 2005 R1150RT's I love the 6th gear for highway and the brakes are superb. I was afraid of the linked issue, but I love them too. When I ride a bike without them, I really miss them. No real complaints. If I had to pick one, it would be how little distance there is from the seat to the footpegs. I am only 32 inch inseam and I feel a bit cramped. I put seat extenders on and they work ok, but not great.

6th is way too tall.

Waaaaay too tall IMO. I don't even shift into 6th until I'm over 80.Oops. Is MotomanLA lurking?

Servo assisted brakes.

I could have done without this, but braking is effortless. I wonder what it will be like when I get a non-servo assisted bike say, in 100k or so grin.gif

fully-linked brakes.

I like this feature more than most. At 110k, I just put its third set of pads on. That's right, 110k for two sets of pads. Unreal! Of course, the only reason you need brakes on a Boxer is for traffic control devices anyway.

If I wasn't on a budget it would be the R1200RT...preferably the new one that doesn't have servo brakes.

I did not think the 12s had servo, or is the a tongue in cheek thing???

I would take the 12 if I had money, but I would be happy with 1100. I have been on all three.

The '05's and '06's had servos the '07's do not.

I rode an '05 for about 1k miles and had no issue with the power-assist. The '07 is just more linear with applying brake pressure.

russell_bynum

The '05's and '06's had servos the '07's do not.

I rode an '05 for about 1k miles and had no issue with the power-assist. The '07 is just more linear with applying brake pressure.

Right. I'd agree with all of that. I rode an '05 R1200ST for a day up at Torrey and although I would prefer non-servo brakes, the brakes on that bike would not stop me from buying the bike. Likewise the RT and GS. (I haven't ridden the other R1200's yet, so I can't comment on that.)

In addition to what's been listed so far, while the longevity of BMW bikes is well known, the newest R1100RT are now going on 8 years old, which may or may not be an issue to you. R1150RT's can be as little as 2 years old.

If the servo assisted linked brakes aren't a turn off for you (opinions vary all over the place) the US model '04 R1150RT (and the rare US '05 R1150RT) are the best running as that year added the OEM twin spark engine.

Spline failure issues seem to be the most predominate on US model year '02 R1150RT. But it's still an overall small percentage.

The R1150RT's seem to be a bit more prone to surging than the R1100RT's due to their leaner run mode. OTOH as a result of that and the 6 speed they get better fuel mileage and pollute less.

Another reason to get an 1100...you can get them for dang near free, ride it for five years and sell it for what you paid for it. Nuthin better than owning something with zero depreciation. Ask a 1200/1150RT owner about this.

Archived