IGNORED

r 1100rt / gas reserve light

richd

my reserve light comes on around 235 miles.. says in manuel i have another 1.1 gallons.. so, i would imagine i can go another 30-40 miles? been averaging 40 mpg. is the gas tank 7.1 gallons?

Got our R1100RT 3 weeks ago, been doing the gas check since day one. Filled on the side stand, we get 215 or so before the light comes on. Hwy, I've gone as far as 230 before filling.

I filled it today for the first time on the center stand, it took 5.9 gals to the top.

Having repeatedly filled from the sidestand checking mileage, we are getting 43, riding two up.

I also read in one of the posts, not to count on the additional gal left, as that does not account for leans etc., when the gas will not make it out of the tank.

The reserve light operation can vary among bikes (and on the same bike) because it's operated by a float attached to a wire arm that can get bent slightly when the fuel filter is serviced. You might have 1.1 gallons left, you might have 1.5, you might have 0.8, you might have 0.3. If you want to know exactly how much fuel is left when the light comes on, you have to run it dry (which is not good for the fuel pump) and measure how much you put in. Note that gas pumps aren't as accurate as we would like. Remember also that the mileage range you have left when the light comes on is affected by all the factors that affect fuel mileage - speed, headwind, load, ambient temperature, fuel quality, ethanol content, etc.

People have put 7.1 gallons in the R1100RT tank, though officially it's 6.6. I've measured it at 7.0-something. Filling it on the centerstand instead of the sidestand gains you 0.1 to 0.2 gallons.

When the reserve light comes on, you can be fairly confident you have 30 miles left, unless you're doing 90 uphill two-up. You probably have 40 miles left, but don't count on it unless you've done some measurements. Beyond that, you'll get people chiming in saying "I got 60 miles on reserve!", but you'd be foolish to expect anything other than a nice walk.

I've been able to put a max of 5.9 in the tank with the light on. Milage varies ans the man said on everything. My take on it as that when you have 200 miles on the tank and the next best gas is more than 50-75 mailes away, buy gas!

Don't play the game of how much do I have?

Wifey would be really pissed to sit on the bike in the middle of nowhere while DUMBO goes walking off for gas! dopeslap.gif

got my 2000 r11rt this spring. I fill it on the center stand about 95% of the time. I commute 65 miles a day and the light usually comes on at about 248 miles. Tho on a few weekend rides with very little stop & go traffic I have gotten to 268 before the light came on. The most I have put in is 6 gallons after the light has come on. My mileage ranges from 44 to 46 mpg.

People have put 7.1 gallons in the R1100RT tank, though officially it's 6.6. I've measured it at 7.0-something.

I can't speak to the true tank capacity in my '01, but the "Rider's Manual", supplied with the bike, claims "Total capacity 26 liters (6.68 gallons) (US model: 27.5 liters (7.26 gallons))".

The rough estimates I get from fill ups immediately following the illumination of the reserve light seems to support the 7.26 total value, and the 1.1 reserve, at least im my bike.

I just remembered what a retired BMW dealer told me about your reserve. Dealer wise says it hold 6.2.

He suggested if you really want to know, take a full gas container in your saddle bag and when the light goes on, wick it like you really want to get to gas quick and see how far you get before it sputters and dies. Then you'll know beyond a doubt. And you'll have gas to get to a station. Unless of course you headed too far in the wrong direction. lmao.gif

Light on my '02 1150RT comes on about 210 miles. I fill up within 20 miles and don't worry. At some point I'm sure I'll have to push it farther but I hope not. I also always fill on the side stand.

Now I'm wondering if I should try to squeeze another few drops in on the enter stand.

Jerry Johnston

I always get 60 more miles after the reserve light comes on...... lmao.gif Just teasing. I always start looking for a gas station when the light shows. I was told on this site that the remaining gas may be all that's keeping the fuel pump from over heating.

I have a '03 RT, average 40-45 mpg 2 up. I have traveled as much as 20-25 miles after light went on, and never have been able to fill 6 gallons. On a long ride, usually stop every 2 hours, and top it off. Somewhere I remember reading that although there is a 1 gal+ reserve, it isn't useable because of the submersible pump. I'm certain that there is someone out there that knows for sure.

My reserve light comes on when I've burned about 14 litres. According to the manual, the reserve light is supposed to come on when there are 4 litres left in the tank. The manual also says that my tank holds 21 litres. So, I'm guessing that I still have 7 litres reserve when my light comes on. YMMV tongue.gif

The light varies from bike to bike, at least my 2 have. The earliest I remember it was at 225, and once the light didn't come on until 280. I often run 275 or more on a tank and usually pump about 5.7/6.3 gals. I have run over 300 miles a few times and refueled at 7.1 gals twice on my pair of 1100RT's. The worst tank I ever got was after filling up in Ely, Nevada and running to North Vegas. I was on fumes after running Highway 318 at warp speed. I get all the gas I can into my tanks at fillup. The gas figures are all from my odometer. I'm sure they would be different if it was truly accurate or gps indicated.

Archived