IGNORED

Funny Transmission Question...

When downshifting all the way to first, should the gear lever "bottom" or have a positive detent in first? The reason I ask is that I've been spending a lot of time on my Ducati which of course has a different feel.

The transmission on my RT now is feeling funny and not shifting as crisply as I remember. Sometimes it hangs in gear just a bit. I seem to remember that first feels very positive, but....

Anybody have any ideas? Am I paranoid, or do I just have a bad memory. Seems like as I put 60K on the dang thing that I'd remember!

Thanks for any help.

AD

We have a 94 R1100RS with a 97 transmission in it.

When in first gear there is no 'feel' to it. The shift lever will repeatedly go smoothly to the bottom when you try to shift again.

Our new 07 R1200RT is just the opposite.

When the transmission is in first the shift lever will not move down again... it just stays in the middle if you press down on it.

Check to make sure the shift lever adjusting bolt is tight. If it is loose, you will have shifting problems. It is the allen bolt on the left side behind the shifter.

Joe Frickin' Friday
We have a 94 R1100RS with a 97 transmission in it.

When in first gear there is no 'feel' to it. The shift lever will repeatedly go smoothly to the bottom when you try to shift again.

Our new 07 R1200RT is just the opposite.

When the transmission is in first the shift lever will not move down again... it just stays in the middle if you press down on it.

Don't know about the R1200's gearbox. Can confirm that my '99RT has the same issue as your RS at either end of the shift pattern: in first gear, you can push the lever down again and feel nothing, likewise in fifth gear you can push up and feel nothing. This is in contrast to other brands I've ridden, i.e. in first gear the lever can't be moved down again.

This is one of the biggest changes with the tranny in the hexhead R1200xx series. First now once again has a unique feel / detent to it on the downshift. But on the older R1100xx & R1150xx tranny lack of it is indeed normal.

Thanks for the input! I feel a little better now...I only have to figure out now where my shift quality went. Hopefully it's in the shifter. I haven't done a spline lube yet. I think I'll be pulling the starter and having a look as part of my due dilligence.

AD

Can confirm that my '99RT has the same issue as your RS at either end of the shift pattern: in first gear, you can push the lever down again and feel nothing, likewise in fifth gear you can push up and feel nothing.
Hmm... this is the way that I remember all of my previous bike's trannys acting. Totally seems normal to me.

I'm sure it's normal, but I'm tearing into a spline lube this weekend as it starting hanging up on shifts on a recent trip.

My other ride is a '93 Ducati SS with a gear box that's tight as can be! Getting on the RT gives a totally different feal. While I love the shifting on the SS, the RT will out handle the SS any day...I'm serious too.

On the duc you don't have to pre-load the shifter before you shift! Duc vs BMW which is the truck! wave.gif
I don't know... my '87 Freightliner with the 18 speed RoadRanger gearbox was pretty smooth. Maybe I should try double-clutching the r1100 between gears. tongue.gif
Maybe I should try double-clutching the r1100 between gears. tongue.gif

Glen:

You might have a problem if you can get it between the gears.

Tipover Bob

Clive Liddell

Glen,

Yes, indeed, you can and must "double declutch" (other half spelling) when changing down from 2nd to 1st for a smooth no crunch change smile.gif

Archived