IGNORED

Early signs of failing FD

ElevenFifty

At 60K+ on my '04 1150RT, I've started changing FD fluid every 3K or so ...

- no signs of metal flakes

- no wheel wiggle at 12/6 and 3/9

- FD does not get excessively hot

HOWEVER:

...at low speed, riding two-up there is a grinding sound from the read of the bike - it could be a scalloped ME880. The tire has a few thousand miles on it - lot's of highway riding so it's not pristine. At speed, I just hear the normal low growl that accompanies the early stages of normal tire wear.

Those of you who have been through this, could you post a list of any symptoms you observed on the way to an FD failure?

Thanks DH ;~)

If you hear it only riding two up, it may be the tire touching something under load. Some have been touching the charcoal canister. Check the tire to see if there are any scrape marks.

If you hear it only riding two up, it may be the tire touching something under load. Some have been touching the charcoal canister. Check the tire to see if there are any scrape marks.

As always...I agree with Paul. You've got tire noise that is more pronounced two up.

If you don't have a wiggle yet, I'm amazed as your paralever bearings are really hanging in there!

FWIW...

AD

I see no scrape marks on the tire. The noise is when leaned and at low speed. Just changed FD fluid ... still clear with no metal flakes.

I do have HyperPro lowered shocks but there is just no sign of contact between my tire and annything other than the road. hmmmmmm confused.gif

I don't know I've ever heard rubber making a grinding sound. If the tire is rubbing on something I would think you might feel it in the bike more than hear it. On the other hand your FD may be ok but you may have a u-joint going bad. A worn u-joint would be more noticeable at low speed with a load on it.

Just a thought.

thumbsup.gif

The noise is when leaned and at low speed. confused.gif

Sound only when leaned over = Tire Noise

Different tires have different noise patterns at different lean angles, pressures and loads.

My well worn Pilot Roads would howl loud enough to be heard at highway speeds through earplugs, especially the front

Archived