IGNORED

Any rule of thumb for valves going out of adjusment over 6K?

yechave

Since this maintenance item seems to be rather significant, I wondered if there were any idea how much the valves might go out of adjustment, after 6-8K+ miles?

We got the bike with the 36k service included as part of the sales agreement. The 36k rolled around in just 10 days, and surprisingly, I found we could not get in for service for another 5 weeks. I expect we will put on another 1,200+ miles by then.

Anyone intentinally not make the 6K valve adjustments, or not see much of any adjustment needed in that amount of use?

Thank you!

At 36,000 miles on the bike, you will more than likely not even have an adjustment to make. By this time, the valves have settled in and will not vary much for the next 50 - 60,000 miles.

Another 1200 miles is not going to make a bit of difference. Go rde and get it done once you're back.

Yes he's right about the not needing adjustment.

When you do do an adjustment, make it on the loose side and they won't close up for a looong time.

If you're worried about the loss of power due to loose specs, you are riding the wrong kinda bike.

My 2000RTP runs fine and I haven't checked valves in 20000 miles. Starts good gets good milage and is entirely too heavy to concider a sport machine except in my wildest imagination, which is every time I pass some crotch rocket in the twisties. dopeslap.gif

Just like Phil said. I've checked mine every 6,000, but haven't needed to adjust them other than the first time I did them. That was right after I bought the bike, at 59k. They were spot on at 65k, 71k, and 78k.

Greatly appreciate that info! Other than tires and brakes, possibly we can use this without having to worry about getting the bike in for future services. Any ideas on how long brakes last F/R?

I've been asking the dealer for the service records, even prior to the purchase, and not quite sure why I am not being provided that information. He has now sold the bike to all three owners, as well as provided all the routine service.

Now knowing this, I kind of wonder once it gets in for service, if the dealer will acutally go through the routine of checking all the valves or not. I felt the valve adjustment was one of the most important items they would do with this service.

I was getting quite concerned over the expense of having to have the dealer servicing this bike twice a year, if the current rate of use continues.

This is the only local BMW dealer in the area I am aware of. I thought I would have tires installed elsewhere, until my buddy had a 2pm appointment yesterday for an inspection sticker on a new Triumph with 1700 miles, and it took the shop nearly one hour to process the paperwork and take the money.

Thank you!

I was getting quite concerned over the expense of having to have the dealer servicing this bike twice a year, if the current rate of use continues.

The simple solution. Learn to do it yourself. It takes about 1/2 a day to do a full service on your bike. More if you have a cool one or two while you work. It save you $$$. Plus, you know what was really done. Plus, it just plain feels good to do things your self.

Look for a tech day to learn how.

Stan

Now knowing this, I kind of wonder once it gets in for service, if the dealer will acutally go through the routine of checking all the valves or not. I felt the valve adjustment was one of the most important items they would do with this service.
I agree with everyone else that it's not a problem to put another 1200 miles or so on before the service. You really should learn to do it yourself for the exact reason you state. I'm sure the dealer will look at the valves and TBS but I'm equally sure they won't go to a lot of trouble to make either adjustment exact and on the oilhead this can make a significant difference.

Brake life is hugely variable depending on your usage of the bike, lots of stop and go wears them out where long trips can result in very long life. Again they are very easy to check and change when needed.

I've been around and or working in garages since I was 12 (39 yrs). I've had my share of fun building a number of street rods, worked on auto, truck, marine and semi desiels. Getting to the point now having to use trifocals, it is a real hassle just trying to see doing any kind of work like this.

Words can not express my delight and amazement to even have a motorcycle to ride at this point.

That being said, I hope to keep any maintenace done by me, to a minimum. However, it sure is nice to know what is going on with the bike, just in case.

Speaking of which, I noticed what looked like a factory tape job on the male ends of the side covers on the bottom are falling off. While not appearing to be loose, do you replace the rubber tips, or tape over what is there? I was going to put some black duct tape on just for safe measure.

Thanks!

My bike was missing those on one side. It doesn't really seem to make any difference. At first I was going to use some Plasti Dip (also called Plasticoat?) but that was too tedious. I ended up rapping some electrical tape on them to keep them from vibrating and possibly wearing on the tabs.

I'm in the process of doing the 36K service on mine, and I adjusted the valves today. The upper exhaust valve on both sides was a little bit tight, though not really out of spec. Just more drag on the gauge than the lower valve. The intakes were perfect. Oh, and current mileage is 37,716. Yeah, I'm a little late. Oh, well.

russell_bynum

I wouldn't worry about an extra 1200 miles...especially with a bike with 36K on it. Unless it has been babied all its life, it should be fairly well broken in by now so the valves shouldn't be off by much.

I wouldn't worry about an extra 1200 miles...especially with a bike with 36K on it. Unless it has been babied all its life, it should be fairly well broken in by now so the valves shouldn't be off by much.

I absolutely agree!

That said, I also agree to doing it yourself. It takes little time, and is a very simple procedure every 6K miles. IMHO a lit faster than taking it to a dealer, less hassle, and you get a more thorough job than many dealers do.

Jim cool.gif

russell_bynum

I absolutely agree!

That said, I also agree to doing it yourself. It takes little time, and is a very simple procedure every 6K miles. IMHO a lit faster than taking it to a dealer, less hassle, and you get a more thorough job than many dealers do.

Jim cool.gif

For sure.

Archived