IGNORED

A long ride before the first snow of the season

co_g30

Snow was correctly forecasted for today, it's falling as I type, nice big fluffy snowflakes and its sticking dammit! Oh well, temps in next few days are in the 60s so it should go away pretty quick.

Based on the forecast, went for what was supposed to be a 500 mile ride to Alliance, NE to qualify me for the 500mile in 12 hour certification from the LongDistanceRiders folks, an alternative the the ironbutt organization certification.

I combined the ride with a destination I'd been wanting to see since before the annual BMWMOA rally, a replica of Stonehenge but made up of junked cars. It's pretty cool actually, considering you're looking at junked cars.

More in the blog.

Now to fire up the snow blower.....

1672431851_e67f94396a.jpg

Big Pic here

Francois_Dumas

Damn, and here I am packing swimming trunks.... wish I'd be going to the snow too actually ! More my style!

That pic is funny... when I opened the post I first looked at your 'location' thinking it was England indeed... amazing what people come up with grin.gifgrin.gif

Snow was correctly forecasted for today, it's falling as I type, nice big fluffy snowflakes and its sticking dammit! Oh well, temps in next few days are in the 60s so it should go away pretty quick.

Based on the forecast, went for what was supposed to be a 500 mile ride to Alliance, NE to qualify me for the 500mile in 12 hour certification from the LongDistanceRiders folks, an alternative the the ironbutt organization certification.

I combined the ride with a destination I'd been wanting to see since before the annual BMWMOA rally, a replica of Stonehenge but made up of junked cars. It's pretty cool actually, considering you're looking at junked cars.

More in the blog.

Now to fire up the snow blower.....

1672431851_e67f94396a.jpg

Big Pic here

Well, I'm in the middle of a slightly longer trip with basically the same purpose.

I left Colorado Springs on Wednesday the 10th of October for Austin, Texas (853 mi.) to visit my son. I arrived early Thursday.

We left Austin Friday morning and rode via the scenic route to Marathon, Texas (440 mi). The next morning we dropped down US385 to Big Bend National Park. We went backpacking in the Chisos Mountains for a couple of days, coming back out on Monday morning and then rode out the other side of the park through Terlingua, Texas and other interesting points in west Texas, then back to the B&B in Marathon.

The next morning we headed back up to the Davis mountains, the MacDonald Observatory, a loop through the Davis mountains and back for a night's rest in Ft Stockton.

The next morning is was down to Del Rio (via a trip along the river), some wonderful twisty county roads on the way back to Austin and some excellent BBQ at Sam's in downtown Austin Wednesday evening. Total for our west Texas adventure was a bit over 1400 mi.

I stayed in Austin Thu-Sat, working (my job allows me to work anywhere there is an internet connection) and then on Sunday, I rode to Houston for a weeklong workshop, which is where I am now.

Friday midday I will ride back to Austin and spend the evening at my son's house. Sat morning I will head back to Colo Springs with an eta of Sunday noon.

Total mileage, with side trips and misc excursions should be about 3500 mi.

I hope to get all the photos edited and posted to smugmug the next day or so and then I'll start a separate thread with the pictures and commentary.

A couple of comments:

- I have ridden bikes, off and on, most of my adult life but never considered long distance tours until I got my R1200RT. This bike has made me a believer in the importance of good tools.

- I got my Sargent seat the day before I left. It has made a big difference in my comfort on long days. I still have to stop every 100-150 miles for a brief stretch. With the stock seat I was in pain within 30 or 40 miles.

I'm hoping not to need the snowblower the day of my return eek.gif

AdventurePoser

Sounds like a fun ride, and glad you could do it before the snow falls. Here is So Cal it is presently 92F and fires all over the place!

Congrats on your achievement, too!

Steve in So Cal

Archived