IGNORED

New member NW area

ANZAC

Well, I have my sights on a 2000 R1100RT at a local dealer. Bike looks like shes in great shape - 18k miles, luggage - local bike etc..

Any suggestions for things to look for on a used RT? Right now I ride a ZXR1200R and the wife hates it. She loves the RT - much happier camper. I need something that handles the highway well (wind blast, stability). I am 5'11" and 175lbs

Thanks in advance thumbsup.gif

SEATTLE_RIDER

Welcome to the community............and pull the trigger on that RT. I put 50K on my '03 R1150RT and loved every mile. I also had the chance to put a few miles on friends' R1100RTs. Great bikes, easy to maintain, lots of protection from the elements, great looks, and lots of reasons to spend all your extra $$s on farkles.

good luck with your purchase........

thumbsup.gif

Two questions to ask?

Have there been any final drive failures? If so how long ago? IMHO and experience the final drives are good for about 60-80,000. This said by one who lost two one at 60 and one at 80.

Second:

Any transmission or clutch warranty work performed. Again I had a factory rebuilt transmission fail at 40,000 .

I loved my RT (replaced it with Honda ST 1300) but I encourage you to go in with your eyes wide open related to Final drive, transmission and cost of ownership. Even if you do your own maintenance there will be lots of Saturdays where you will be maintaining and others riding. Good luck. BTW PM me and I will share in more detail. I live in Marysville, WA

Thanks Steve,

I will check into the transmission for sure. The other bike I am looking at is a Honda 2002 ST1100. Both pretty solid bike and NO I don't want to be wrenching while others are riding. My ZRX has been a great bike - only oil and filters for now.

Although the RT does have a 6000 mile service requirement it's all easy stuff that most owners can handle themselves. I've been riding oilheads for about eight years now and currently have a 2000 RT. I also have 3 friends and a brother that have either 99 or 2000's. Of these five bikes, none has had a transmission problem or FD failure. One of the five did need a clutch. Frankly I think the best years for RT's are 98-2001. '97 and earlier had head gasket and transmission problems that affected a LOT of bikes and post 2001 you have to put up with servo (powered brakes).

I see you live in Vancouver, WA. I'm down I-205 in Clackamas. If you have any other questions about these bikes just PM me.

Thanks Bob!

Yes, I have my ZRX on Craigslist waiting on a buyer and will test ride the RT tomorrow. This one only has 18k miles and all the books - in fact the salesman sold the bike to the owner back in 2001.

The main thing is my wife loves the bike clap.gif We both fit on the bike like it was made for us. I can't wait for the heated grips and adjustable windscreen thumbsup.gif

The main thing is my wife loves the bike clap.gif We both fit on the bike like it was made for us. I can't wait for the heated grips and adjustable windscreen thumbsup.gif
Welcome aboard ... er, ugh ... <Ahem! Please fill out a bit more on your profile so we can know a bit more about you like what to call you besides ANZAC. It's not a requirement but is considered ... hmm ... polite.>.

The RT is indeed a great 2up bike. And besides the heated grips and adjustable windscreen there are a bazillion other farkles to continually explore (especially during the cold months).

Pull the trigger or ride a bike you don't like? I'm thinking it's "Pull the trigger!" thumbsup.gif

Profile filled out - better wave.gif

ANZAC is Australian New Zealand Amry Corps - my uncle was in the AIF in WWII. All Aussies and Kiwis know this.

Looking forward to riding her tomorrow and will get her as soon as the ZRX sells if everything works out.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Hi Mark...you're gonna love the RT. I'm in Seattle and put 98,812 miles (or thereabouts... grin.gif ) on my 99 RT. Several of those miles were on roads, where, err, the RT might not have been the best choice. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My wife is bugging me to do just that anyway, since two-up on the 640 is a real treat! tongue.gif

I replaced the clutch somewhere around 75K and again at 98K. I replaced the big-assed bearing that bolts to the rear wheel around the 75K mark too. The RT flies down the road. Passenger comfort is very high.

Have fun. You coming to the UnRally in July?

Hey Steve,

Yes, my wife highly approved of the RT. She liked the way the rear seat tilted her into me smile.gif I will need to get the top box - the rack/mount is there.

Sounds like these bike are pretty tough and with the right care can last a long time. Doing maintance is one of the things I like doing and it helps you bond with your bike.

What is the UnRally?

Mark

Went and saw the bike again today. Very clean - no leaks and the wheels/bearing are tight.

Raining this afternoon so no test ride bncry.gif

It's also got a funny throttle lock that looks like a big thumbscrew mounted on top of the right side grip area. It this BMW's version or aftermarket?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
What is the UnRally?

Rather than answer here, I've posted that question in the UnRally forum. Keep your eye on the thread, I'm sure more people will chime in...

Go here: LINKY

It's also got a funny throttle lock that looks like a big thumbscrew mounted on top of the right side grip area. It this BMW's version or aftermarket?

Aftermarket. A lot of people use them for the long stretches of superslab.

To understand the concept of the Un Rally it helps to know the Rally concept. The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America (MOA) holds it's annual national rally once a year usually in July. Attendance has been 7,000 and growing. Most people camp out at the rally site, there are lots of vendeors selling every imaginable part, trinket, farkle (Accessory) and related equipment for your BMW motorcycle. Think T-shirts, Beer Tent, Live Bands and lots of food vendors. A good time for sure, but too many people to meet over a 4 day 3 night rally.

An Un Rally, not so much. I haven't been to an Un Rally yet, I hope to next year, but there are others who can expound on the event.

Good luck with the "New" Bike.

thumbsup.gif

Everyone,

Did the test ride thing today and that bike is sweet thumbsup.gif

The bike ran great and the transmission is smooth as butter. I did not get any surging or clunking transmission problems.

I really like the heated grips and adjustable windscreen. Now I am spoiled - I should not have ridden that bike smirk.gif

I do have one observation - what's up with those turn signal buttons. That's a very funky design and hard to get used to. I keep fiddling for the buttons then had a hard time canceling them. How do you guys cope with these things?

So, please, someone buy my ZRX so I can get this bike! The other thing I have been considering is to trade in the ZRX which will offset the cost of paying taxes as I get the bike for a much lower price.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I do have one observation - what's up with those turn signal buttons. That's a very funky design and hard to get used to. I keep fiddling for the buttons then had a hard time canceling them. How do you guys cope with these things?
I disliked the buttons for about a week. Then I loved them for 8 years...

Now just the reverse is happening...I miss my BMW signal switches!

My suggestion is to trade in the ZRX. You're gonna have a harder time selling it now that the rains are starting. Take the hit on value and trade it in since you have that option.

Have fun now...

Archived