IGNORED

Baehr Communications Systems

GoldenK9

Anyone out there familiar with the Baehr Ultima XL Communications System? I am having a hell of a time trying to get rid of the wind noise at highway speeds (above 50) while riding 2 up. Below 50 and around town it's crystal clear as is the GPS and Valentine One that I have on the system. confused.gif

The problem with Baehr is that they do not fully shut off their VOX circuit when you stop speaking. Therefore, as wind noise increases, you're going to hear it.

Autocom uses a full-on/full-off VOX.

Sometimes German engineering ist nicht überlegen.

Thanks EffBee,

But I'm not all that sure if that's true or not. You can hear the VOX kick on as you speak, or if the wind is strong enough to break it, and you can hear it shut off a few seconds after you stop talking. Maybe I have the wrong workings of the VOX system in my brain??

Perhaps I should have provided greater detail. The VOX stays open, but reduces the volume of sounds it takes in (below the full activation threshold) to about 15% of normal (or so I've had it explained to me). Inside of a helmet, you can't hear these sounds through your speakers. However, what it accomplishes is that it keeps the VOX active to help minimize the loss of the first syllable when you suddenly start speaking. It actually does a decent job of that, although Autocom's dynamic Vox response is just as quick, without leaving the VOX open.

Anyway, with the VOX still open, it doesn't take much to trigger the VOX into full activation, which is what the wind appears to be doing.

I've had the wind trigger my VOX on my Autocom as well. But it takes a pretty good side-wind to accomplish that. At 120mph on a windless day, it's quiet as a mouse.

Two different solutions to the same problem. Both work well at solving one problem. But the Baehr has a side-effect that causes a secondary issue.

As for solutions, the only thing I can think of is either a wind sock over the mic, or try this old trick. Take a band-aid and cut off the sticky arms, leaving maybe 1/16" on either side of the gauze. Now place the gauze over the mic, using the little bit of remaining sticky part to secure it to the mic cover. This will help add some muting to the mic and may reduce or even delay the triggering of the VOX by highway riding speeds. If one band-aid helps, but isn't enough, try two.

UPDATED INFO: I should have mentioned, with regard to the band-aid. Be sure it's the kind with the perforations over the gauze. If not, there's no way for your voice to get through without it being severly muffled/muddled by the plastic over the gauze.

OK, now I'm starting to understand what you meant and it makes sense. I was going to send my helmets and the box to the Baehr Distributors in Ill. and have them check it out, but I think I'll give your suggestions a try first. Can't hurt. I really like the Beahr system except for this one little hitch. Thank you so much for your help and a little learning on my part.

Ride safe.

As the owner/user of both a Baehr Ultima and Ultima XL, I can say that Fernando's explanation is spot on.

I, also, have the problem with what you are experiencing. More sound damping material does help, but does not eliminate the problem entirely. We tend to go with unplugging the mic and just have our Arizona Al ear plugs for the music.

As the owner/user of both a Baehr Ultima and Ultima XL, I can say that Fernando's explanation is spot on.

I, also, have the problem with what you are experiencing. More sound damping material does help, but does not eliminate the problem entirely. We tend to go with unplugging the mic and just have our Arizona Al ear plugs for the music.

Phil, I'm sorry to hear that you've had to abandon the use of your mic. Rider/Passenger and B2B are the essence of an intercom system. Having music/radar/GPS piped in is a bonus.

I believe you're selling the ST and have a new GSA. If you're interested in switching to Autocom, please contact me. Our dealership has some whopping deals on Autocom right now.

Phil, I'm sorry to hear that you've had to abandon the use of your mic. Rider/Passenger and B2B are the essence of an intercom system. Having music/radar/GPS piped in is a bonus.

I believe you're selling the ST and have a new GSA. If you're interested in switching to Autocom, please contact me. Our dealership has some whopping deals on Autocom right now.

You know you're killin' him with this...

He has an XL out in the garage for the GSA. He's kinda too "invested" in Baehr at this point to switch over. We had this discussion yesterday as we were re-installing my S-Pro Avi to try to get rid of that ground issue (hopefully) we (Whip and I) mentioned at Torrey.

You know you're killin' him with this...

He has an XL out in the garage for the GSA. He's kinda too "invested" in Baehr at this point to switch over. We had this discussion yesterday as we were re-installing my S-Pro Avi to try to get rid of that ground issue (hopefully) we (Whip and I) mentioned at Torrey.

Oops. Wasn't aware that he was already so committed to Baehr. Just wanted him to know that there were options and those options were on sale.

Regardless, if he can tone down the Baehr's VOX sensitivity by use of a wind sock or the band-aids or both or whatever, he will have "garage-engineered" a solution that makes that unit usable for him. Given that he already owns it, that may be the better answer for him.

Oops. Wasn't aware that he was already so committed to Baehr. Just wanted him to know that there were options and those options were on sale.

Regardless, if he can tone down the Baehr's VOX sensitivity by use of a wind sock or the band-aids or both or whatever, he will have "garage-engineered" a solution that makes that unit usable for him. Given that he already owns it, that may be the better answer for him.

Committed?? No!! Committable??? Yes!!

Any of these systems cost so much with the unit and associated cables that making a change is not an easy thing to do!

Matt is correct though. For now, I'm a little far down this path to change. You (Fernando) and I have talked before and you had a great set up designed around what I want to do and I know that once I am in a position to swap, you WILL be the call I make to do it.

Farkles!!! The nemesis of all that is motorcycling!! lmao.giftongue.gifcrazy.gif

EffBee and all,

Hey guys, thanks for all of the suggestions. I see you're all in So Cal as I am way up here in Nor Cal so there's no chance of getting together in someone's garage and solving all of our problems, but I DID want to pass along my thanks.

I forgot to mention that there ARE wind socks glued to both mics, so I'll have to either cut them off or play with the band aid thingy over the top. Either way you've given me some more ideas to play with. You would think for $1000 bucks you would not have these problems to deal with. Just goes to show, the price doesn't always reflect the quality. I'm just glad I was a dealer when I purchased the Baehr unit, so the hurt isn't quite so bad. And the distributer has been really good at working with me to solve the problem, so far.

Take care Guys and ride safe out there!

<whistling heard>

Diamond Springs is 30 miles east of Sacramento!! Right outside of Placerville!!

Come on by anytime!! wave.gifwave.gif

Before I drop this situation and move into the testing of your much appreciated suggestions, I assume you have played with the adjustments of mic sensitivity/wind noise, etc.?

I have adjusted to the extremes with little or no effect.

Well, out to the garage I go.

Thanks again. smile.gif

Archived