IGNORED

Our 99 R1100RT

yechave

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/07101913/pcnodv3e0a/

Double click the first image, left click to enlarge, back to continue, arrow right to scroll. Expires in 30 days.

Thanks to all the excellent advice provided to us via this forum, our bike of just a couple weeks, is now ready for our first long trek the end of the month. The top saddle bags are Cortec, as is the tank bag. Have a $300 Magellan GPS, EZ pass on the way, First Gear mesh top and bottoms, and the Nolan 102 NC's.

We named the bike, "Wontonka!" Had it out in the rain a bit today, trying to get the feel for wet roads.

Leaving for rider's safety class in a few minutes, and hope to have some great rides, weather permitting, the remainder of this year.

Greatly appreicate everyone that offered their suggestions!

russell_bynum

Have a great trip, and be sure to take lots of pictures to share when you return!!!

If you think you like the bike now, just wait until you've been on the road a couple of days. IMO, that's when an RT really starts coming into its own.

Looks great Wayne. Hope you really enjoy the RT. That seat cover looks like it came from in front of the fireplace! Ya-ll won't want to get off the bike. clap.gif

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/07101913/pcnodv3e0a/

Double click the first image, left click to enlarge, back to continue, arrow right to scroll. Expires in 30 days.

The top saddle bags are Cortec,

I like the way you mounted the Cortec saddle bags. Are they just held on by strapping thru bungee buddies? Anything protective being used between the tops of the stock cases and the bottom of the saddle bags? Which model Cortech saddle bags are they? I have a small pair of Cortec bags and was wondering if they are the same.

Hi Lenny,

As far as I know, these are the small bags, #HH82-332, retail at $129. They have neoprene straps that go between the velcro under the sheepskin.

I then used the quick on/off, 360 swivel clips, shortened and sewed the straps to fit, and used bungie buddies fore and aft. They come with the male/female nylon buckles, but that would not have done much to attach it to the BB.

The other nice feature is, we still can access the BMW bags, without having to remove the Cortec bags. To take the entire setup off the bike, I remove a piece of parachute cord holding down the rear of the sheepskin, the rest of the bags just lift off, and there are four quick release clips for the straps, all which stay with the luggage.

Tried it out today, works great. Only thing I might change is to sew cut outs in the rain covers for the mounting straps to go through, and not risk losing a cover. I am not sure if they would come off, but the bags were not designed to be used in this manner, and I would rather not find out.

They also have very large pads of neoprene completely under the bags, which is actually the sides, if they were in their proper position. This prevents slipping on the BMW bags.

The reason we went with these was it allowed very easy Zippered access to the contents, they expand, and were a good medium between going with waterproof stuff sacks or more costly storage bags. We rode in the rain today, no covers, and not a drop on the bags by the time I pulled in the driveway.

This is a far cry from the advertised, $2k dealer special that got us to the BMW shop, just to look.

Certainly is a great time of year to enjoy a ride like what we have planned. Very much looking forward to it!

Wayne

If you think you like the bike now, just wait until you've been on the road a couple of days. IMO, that's when an RT really starts coming into its own.

That was my thoughts as well. I bought my RT with the initial plan of only keeping it long enough to drag my butt to CA and back. That was a little over 2 years and 25k miles ago. It was "just another bike" until I got out to WY/MT. I broke away from the group I was traveling with (all goldwings and harleys), and did a little traveling at my OWN pace. I was was riding close to an extra 100 miles a day, and still getting to our night time destinations before anyone else. At that point.....I started to realize how much I really enjoyed the RT, and that I wasn't going back to a crotch rocket (at least as my #1 bike). A few days later, I picked up Danielle from the airport in Spokane, WA and continued to lay rubber up and down the west coast for another week before turning back and heading for PA. The total trip was 20 days.......week one I thought I bought a nice bike that I could get my money back out of, week two I started to realize how much fun and capable it was, week three I spent cursing the bastards in Kansas for paving all their roads in straight lines grin.gif. Now I have every intention of keeping it until I blow it up or I win the lottery.

Enjoy your trip. I hope your face doesn't hurt from the grin that will be stuck on your face.

great idea with the cotech bags. I have a pair I bought for my sv650. I'm going to have to rethink their use now for the rt. Only problem is they are blue. the rt is grphite, great color.

We just got back from Nova Scotia. You'll love traveling.

mike

Archived