IGNORED

Riding Suits

Vicious_Cycler

Vicious_Cycler

I am considering getting rid of some JoeRocket gear and getting a higher end suit. I would prefer 2-pc gear that zips together in the interest of utility. Front runners are: Roadcrafter 2-pc, BMW Santiago or Rallye Pro, or Olympia Phantom(although its a 1-pc).

My riding consists of 10 mile daily work commutes, weekend breakfast home before supper rides, and an occassional ovenight to the Dragon, I am also hoping to make a longer distance trip e.g., Tennessee to Colorado round trip next year.

Any opinions?

I can't comment on the other brands, but I'll never buy another suit as long as Aerostich keeps making the roadcrafter. Go anywhere, do anything. Top drawer all the way around.

I commute over 15K mi per year, all year, in Seattle. My suit is about 4 1/2 years old now. It's plenty wet up here, and I've never been wet in it. Plenty of vents so that the whole suit is tolerable, if not comfy, up to the upper 80's. The pants come off easy enough when it's really hot out.

Just do yourself a favor and plan to order a few sizes right off just to try them on, and don't be shy - get a custom size if you need it. You won't be dissapointed.

YMMV, of course. I've got a Roadcrafter, but I rarely wear it, because I'm nearly always too hot in it. I find the underarm vents useless. In fact, the only time it seems to me that the Roadcrafter flows lots of air is when it's cold out and I don't want it to! THEN, I can feel the vents, and even the fabric, flowing air. When it's over 65, I'm sweating. But maybe that's just me and my RT.

The Darien jacket and pants from Aerostich are more versatile than the Roadcrafter suit IMHO. I sold my Roadcrafter because it was too hot for most of my riding. The Darien has excellent protection without the lining. It can be used in colder weather by wearing heated gear or other clothing underneath. In the heat, the venting is much better.

ordered darien pants about 2 weeks ago. did the test fit and sent back for a slight modicication. on fedex truck for delivery today. looking forward to having a pair. i have a couple of moto jackets for use depending on the season.

Another vote for the Darien coat and pants especially for wet weather or temps below mid 80s. You can ride in hot weather with the pants and a mesh jacket and not stop for thunderstorms.

Bill

I can recommend the Olympia AST and Ranger 2 pants with is basically the Phantom in a two piece. The venting is excellent and is excellent up to 90 or so. Then its tollerable as long as you are moving. The venting is awesome with forearm to shoulder vents. The chest vents open and can be made into little air scoops. There are two rear 8 inch vents in back for good airflow. Another nice feature no one ever mentions is the liner is waterproof by itself and can be used as a jacket alone around camp or whatever. I have gotten a little seepage in all day rain when riding on my R1100S when not using the liner. I am talking torrential downpour. I've never gotten wet with the liner in. The pants are bone dry although a little hot. You might also want to scope out the Airglide. The quality of the Olympia is great. I highly recommend them. The Aerostich stuff does nothing for me. The venting seems poor. The biggest thing to Aerostich to me is that you can customize the fit. The BMW suits are fantastic and workmanship is top notch. I am not sure if they are twice the price better than the Olympia but if you can swing it, go for it.

Over the years I have used many differnt types of ride wear. I now wear a two piece Roadcrafter. I comute 35 miles a day here in Colorado pretty much year round, and ride 15-20k a year. The only thing I would complain about is heat/venting. Any thing over 90 or so becomes VERY uncomfortable if not moving. Anything over 100 is uncomfortable period, but over 100 is uncomfortable on a motorcycle no matter what you are wearing. If you do a RC, don't be in a hurry, talk with the folks at Aerostitch and have them send you one to try on. If it doesn't fit perfectly, send it back and get it modified. Nothing worse 10k miles from now than having sleeves that are 1/2" to short! You will spend a bit on freight back and forth, but it is worth the hassle is the long run. RC's are stiff when new, after 10k you don't notice it any more. I use the optional back pad to help keep the suit off of my back. This seems to help the hot weather issues a bit. I don't use the hip pads, they seem to make things hotter. Get a zipper pull thingy for all of the zippers. Can't get hold of them with gloves on if you don't. I can't vouch for crash worthyness. From 40 to 80 degrees the 'stitch is great, don't have to stop and do the rain dance, can vent and seal up while riding. Plenty of pockets that you can use. When this one wears out I will do it again.

Another nod for the Roadcrafter for all the reasons already mentioned, though I prefer the one piece.

I recently got a pair of Darian Light pants to wear with my mesh jacket when it's too hot for the RC and I like it so much, I'm about to order a Darian Light jacket too. They say the Light is better at higher or lower temp extremes than the regular Darian, so I figure that will apply to the RC as well.

finallyabeemer

+1 for Roadcrafter. Even if I wasn't a physical mutant I would seriously consider one. And being a mutant (apparently well outside the norm for leg length based on how off the rack stuff fits), they are pretty much the only choice!

I'm weird.

I bought the Roadcrafter Jacket and the Darien Pants. I travel 2 up with very limited space for my things. I knew I would need a jacket(for walkin around) where we were going and didn't have room to carry an extra jacket if I had a one piece. I also wanted to be able to take the jacket off when on the road and eat lunch without wearin suspenders(which you must do with the Roadcrafter 2 piece). Another plus for me is, I don't like or have room for extra liners. Rain and cold weather liners will take up even more space in my bags not to mention putting taking them on and off and tryin to figure out what to do every mornin. I just put on the Roadcrafter gear and go. Zippers open or closed, only option.

In extreme cold I wear longjohns and bluejeans under and assorted layers with some electric aid under the jacket and I'm good to go.

I can make do with temps up to 95 with open zippers, wicker longjohns and wicker t-shirt. Above 95 I have to open the main zippers and even the top sides of the pant to stay cool. I know this greatly reduces the protection of the suit, but sometimes I have no choice.

Overall I love the Gear and would buy it all again. I wish I had spent the money a view years ago.

I'm 6'2" with a 31 inch waist. The two piece was easy to get fit. A one piece was gonna be trouble.

Good Luck.

Whip

Motoport Air Mesh. It is realistic viable from 45 - 85 degrees. Zips together, or you can buy a 1 piece. Most expense, irritating customer service, terrible customer service, horrible customer service, (did I mention bad customer service) but absolutely the best piece of gear.

I own, Roadcrafter 1 piece, Killimangero Air, and motoport. All are very good, and all can be recommended. but if money is not the 1 priority, and wearabilty and safety are, then Motoport wins (in my opionon) hands down.

Once you get the motoport and wear it for 4 months the terrible, horrible unrealiable customer service is forgotten. However if you can wear off the rack sizing, then sometimes the motoport service can actually be decent.

If you need custom sizing, fitting, etc just go into it knowing that Aerostitch rules in this area, and generally motoport suck. But I still rank my motoport as a 10 and my 1 piece roadcrafter as a 8.5 and my Killimagaro as a 7.0

YMMV, and I am sure there are many more satisfied Aerostitch customers than motoport, but I encourage you to at least check it out.

I'm a one piece Aerostich user. Best piece of motorcycle kit I ever bought.

I've never been too cold even in sub freezing temps during an all night ride (do that frequently). Have been too hot (but not dehydrated) in 90 degree plus days but the venting worked well enough for me.

I'd buy another tomorrow without a second thought.

Beware mesh apparel over a certain temperature. Tests have shown that whilst you "feel" cooler, you're losing moisture faster. Beware dehydration on a motorcycle. Brain function slows dramatically.

Linz smile.gif

Vicious_Cycler

Whip

Is that the gear for the Alaska trip? Also, do the RC jacket and Darien pants zip together? Finally, what is your usual gear for San Antonio, which I imagine to be similar to Nashville?

Thanks

I have had a Roadcrafter 2 piece for about 6 years and it my favorite piece of riding gear by far. I have a ton of other stuff (both leather and textile including some BMW stuff) and the RoadCrafter is always the garment of choice for me. If I am touring there is just no question I will pull on the aerostich. My suit started out red and black but the red is now faded and pinkish looking. When the time comes I will buy another one of these without hesitation.

Whip

Is that the gear for the Alaska trip?

Yes, that's what I used on the Alaska trip.

Also, do the RC jacket and Darien pants zip together?

No, but the pants are made for a belt and hold themselves up very well.

Finally, what is your usual gear for San Antonio, which I imagine to be similar to Nashville?

I wear jeans to work with the RC(jacket) as much as I can, I do have a Joe Rocket mesh/leather for the extreme days. If I leave for work in the early mornin I use the RC(jacket) and really don't mind the heat on the way home.

Two years of experience, 28K mileage. Commute to work daily, 35 – 40 miles one way, with dress clothes, evening and weekend riding on a 2005 R1200RT.

First year with Darien Jacket and leather chaps, second year with Motoport Kevlar Ultra Mesh and Darien pants (better protection). Temp range 32 to 100 degrees.

No question the Motoport jacket is better overall. While standing nothing is going to be comfortable in 90 degree and above, but the Motorport is as close to riding in a tee shirt while moving as anything in 95 and above temperature, some sweating due to back pad protection.

The Darien starts getting uncomfortable in the upper 80’s, even while moving.

Will order the Motoport Kevlar Ultra Mesh pants sometime before next summer. Did not have any problem when ordering Motoport jacket, in fact, Dwayne (?) called to double check the chest measurement, as it was unusual compared to waist. The Motoport jacket fit fine.

Both the Darien and Motoport (with rain liner) remain dry in all rain conditions.

I have been surprised how comfortable the Motoport jacket remains as the weather cools. With rain liner only, comfortable down into the high 40’s or low 50’s, with insulated liner added will be comfortable to 32 degrees or lower.

In my opinion the Motoport fit is better and I would expect the armor would remain in place in a get off more so than the Darien.

Based on forum posts and other recommendations I have considered the Roadcrafter but the Motoport has performed so well for my type of riding, I do not expect to change.

Ah, the riding suit issue again. Here's my take (which means my conclusions, based on research resulting in opinions), based on hours of research, first into what exactly "CE Approved" armor means, and second which suits, forget the armor, will provide the best abrasion resistance, and third, which will provide comfort over the widest temperature range, a critical issue in Texas.

I view riding gear as part of the motorcycle, as essential as a helmet, boots, brakes, etc. It's part of the cost of the bike.

Armor is the first consideration, and there's plenty of controversy and argument about it, but there is one indisputable fact: CE is the ONLY standardized method for testing armor. Most armor for shoulders, hips, knees, elbows is similar if it is CE-approved, following the EN1621-1 standard. Back protectors sold in almost all riding suits may say "CE" on them, but precious few meet the more stringent 1621-2 standard; in other words, the CE back protectors are being sold under false pretenses if they're 1621-1 compliant; better than a t-shirt, but not back protectors as far as the CE-standards testers are concerned.

Even within CE armor there's enough differentiation between brands to be wary. Hard-edged armor may provide CE-standard protection, but I can personally attest to the long-term damage such armor can do to soft tissues surrounding the protected joints. As in years later I still have painful areas around my knees...and yes, my knee joints were not damaged. I no longer wear hard-edged CE armor. I personally would not under any circumstance purchase riding gear that did not meet the 1621-1 standard, and am currently shopping for a 1621-2 back protector. I recommend a couple of hours reading the testing methods.

Abrasion resistance is easy: leather is the best, but leather is not an option for me in the heat, and gear not worn is worthless. The kevlar krowd loves their stuff, and I have no objective reason to doubt it, although it does confuse me a little that kevlar, known for its great tensile strength (think bullets don't penetrate) is very abrasion resistant...I plead ignorance on this matter...and the frequent complaint of discomfort are also a concern; again, gear not worn is worthless.

Beyond leather and kevlar, Cordura appears to off the next best abrasion resistance (Schoeller-Keprotec, and other similar stuff are all about the same in this regard). Good suits put layers of it on critical areas such as knees, elbows, hips, shoulders, even pant seats.

Good CE armor, covered by abrasion-resistant material in critical areas, is as good as you can get without going to leather.

Finally there's the comfort factor. In my climate, mesh is essential, but warm gear is, too. If one suit provides both, that's the one I want.

I'm drawn to the Olympia stuff when I'm in the stores, and several other brands also get my attention, but I've no experience other than fingering the materials in the stores, studying the garment tags, and researching their armor designs online.

One more thing, and then I'll describe the suit I chose: any crash, any crash at all, will bring out the EMS. If you have bad road rash only, you get to go to the ER. If you have bad road rash and damaged limbs/joints/spine, you get to go to surgery and stay in the hospital, and maybe even go to rehab (Like Amy Winehouse, I don' wanna go to rehab). The EMS adventure concluding a the ER is easily several thousand dollars. If they decide you should get a helicopter ride, a favorite of EMS personnel in motorcycle wreck treatment, the ride is thousands, and you don't even get to look out the window.

When I crash again, I want to have a trashed suit, a trashed helmet, gloves worn almost through and boots that completely protected my feet and ankles. Right before I crash again, I want to be riding along in relative comfort.

So I wear a ridiculously expensive Rukka suit. CE-1621-1 armor at all critical joints (except back) using a patented open "weave" plastic material that allows air to pass through while offering CE impact protection; Cordura at all those same critical areas. Mesh torso and pant leg areas that help keep me cool. Zip-in goretex pant and jacket liners, with the jacket having little inflatable pouches for insulation, for cold weather and rain. A vented rubbery area in the seat which absolutely eliminates monkey butt.

VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE. Peanuts compared to that helicopter ride, or worse, the cost of the nice nurse spending a coupld hours picking gravel out of my hide while marveling at the amount of skin that is GONE, telling me no, the doctor won't let her give me any more morphine for awhile.

This is just all my opinion. I don't own Rukka, although I wish I did, nor do I sell the stuff. If I find another brand that offers a package as entire as Rukka, I'll buy it when the time comes. Same with my expensive boots with the ankle armor, same with the expensive gloves with the carbon knuckles and the superstrong leather palms (one, just one little get-off onto your palms wearing really high quality gloves, and you're totally bummed, as you can now see through the thinned out leather on the palm, right before the gloves go in the trash.

With absolutely no offense meant to any poster here, my suggestion to the OP is, don't rely on what others say they like (including me); research the critical issues, find gear that best meets the requirements, and spend the money.

Maybe thinking about it this way helps: look down at your right arm, lower and upper, and the right side of your torso. What would you pay me to NOT take a blowtorch to that area? That's what road rash looks like. Or what would you pay me to NOT hit you really hard on the elbow with my three pound sledge?

And yes, I know the stories about the saved Aerostich riders, and the guys who walked away from bad get-offs wearing cheap gear.

Remember, boys and girls, the statements here are my opinions only, based only on my (fairly extensive) research. Your results, god forbid you have any, may vary.

I have a Motoport air mesh kevlar and a stich.

The stich gets worn up to about 85 degrees then I switch to the kevlar.

Both are fantastic pieces of equipment.

I can't anything more that has not been said about either

Whip,

Why the RC Jacket vs. the Darien Jacket (w/o liner)?

I have the Aerostitch Darien pants. They're great, albeit here in winter riding they can be a bit chilly (there is NO insulating liner). That's easily remedied with proper undergarments, however.

Mike O

Mike O

I used the Darien for two seasons. The reason that I switched from the Darien to the RC was the lining. The Darien being unlined, led to the GoreTex laminate wearing off of areas inside of my Darien in one season. The places (mostly shoulders) that it rubbed/wore off were to the point that the fabric "weeped" in long wet rides. Not good for the long ride. AeroStitch patched all of the leaky spots, no charge, but by the end of the second season the patches were wearing through also. My only other "complaint" was the armor in the Darien catching on my shoulder when I put it on if I'm not careful. Both of thiese issues are solved by the lining in the RC. I figure part of the reason mine wore through so soon is comuting. I take my gear on and off at least twice most work days, many days three times.

Vicious_Cycler

I must admit I've not heard of the Motoport gear (I found this interesting discussion at webBikeWorld: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/ ).

I'm a little surprised there are so few recommendations for BMW gear. Does anyone have any experience with the Rallye Pro or Santiago gear from BMW? How might these compare to Motoport or Aerostich?

Darien Jacket & Pants year 'round. Initially I did order the Roadcrafter (several years ago) but tired of the back & forth shipping to get the right size & shape and just went with the Darien. Never gotten wet and haven't tested its crash worthyness either. I do use both the optional back and hip armor.

The Roadcrafter is the finest piece of gear I've ever seen and will get one some day. The Darien is the second finest (hence no RC yet).

I love my 1-pc Aerostich which I've had for about 5 years, but I'll be the first to admit that the design could stand some improvements and updating. It definitely needs more and better venting, more velcro on the pockets and a better collar design.

to follow up..rec'd the darien pants friday...fit was great. had a chance to wear them on rides this sat/sun. hot and rainy. they felt fine, were great for walking around in and were not overly hot. i'm happy with the purchase.

Motoport...

Here in Florida it is the only suit I can wear comfortably ALL year long and have no concerns over the quality or comfort of the suit.

Expensive ...yes....

Worth it....With out a doubt..

IN VIRGINIA FROM DEC. TO APRIL WE SEE TEMP DROP TO 40s TO 50s MOST MORNINGS, WITH A 50 MILE RIDE TO WORK EACH WAY I PURCHASED BELSTAFF PANTS AND JACKET. VERY WARM AND WATER PROOF. JUST PULLED OUT THIS WEEKEND FOR ANOTHER WINTER.

In January of 1997 my wife and I bought the BMW Kalahari suits with the removeable Gore-Tex liners. 50,000 miles later in October of 2000 we bought the Savanna I suits, we kept the Gore-tex liners form the Kalahari suits. We had those suits for over 5 years thats another 100,000 miles.

About 2 years ago we bought the Santiago suits, we splurged and got new Gore-Tex liners.

Thats almost 11 years and 200,000 miles with the BMW suits. 7 round trip cross country trips, 2 trips to Alaska.

I don't see the problem.

If it is cool or it looks like rain you put the liners in.

On one trip to Alaska in July of 2004 we had the liners in for 2 weeks.

Its a suit with a Gore-Tex liner that you can remove when it gets hot, unlike the asto-stitch which you can not remover the liner from.

I must admit I've not heard of the Motoport gear (I found this interesting discussion at webBikeWorld: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/ ).

I'm a little surprised there are so few recommendations for BMW gear. Does anyone have any experience with the Rallye Pro or Santiago gear from BMW? How might these compare to Motoport or Aerostich?

I'm on my second season with the Motoport kevlar mesh suit, also known by the name, Cycleport. Best $$$$ spent on riding gear to date. Customer service has been good, very responsive to my needs. The gear has worked for me from 25-115 degrees. It gets worn every day.

I've worn Rev'It Cayenne jacket with Ultimate riding pants. Each has a removable goretex liner and a removable fiberfill liner (you can use either or both liners independantly). I've had the gear for 3 seasons. Starting to show a little "fuzzing" at some of the zipper seams. Decent ventilation and exceptional good in wet riding. I have a friend who is very picky about riding gear - he sold his Darien gear after 2 years and replaced with Cayenne/Ultimate. If I were to replace the Rev'It suit, I'd be looking at various 3-season suits from Rev'It, BMW or Rukka.

Whip,

I have the Aerostitch Darien pants. They're great, albeit here in winter riding they can be a bit chilly (there is NO insulating liner). That's easily remedied with proper undergarments, however.

Mike O

Hey Mike

Everything I bought at the time was for the Alaska trip. The 2 piece set up and even the gloves and boots I bought later. The RC fits a tall ugly dude better and the liner was supposed to help. The elbow pads were better fixed and I like the weight of it for get offs. I would get another one if something happen to this one. If I didn't answer your question. Let me know.

Whip

Vicious_Cycler

Thanks to all for your thoughts on gear. I have decided not to go the one-piece suit route or with the BMW gear for now. I have decided to try the Olympia AST and Olympia Recon Transformer Cargo pants. I figure I can add layers if necessary.

I have a pair of JR Alter Ego pants with liner and JR leather Velocity jacket with quilted liner that performs pretty well in cooler weather. Rode 200 mi yesterday to Fall Creek Falls State Park in Spencer, TN in 40-50 degree overcast and was perfectly comfortabe.

I'll post an opinion after I've worn the Olympia gear long enough to offer a fair evaluation.

Glenn

I have a Rallye 2 suit, and it's freakin' awesome. With the liner, I can ride in any weather, any temperature. When it's hot outside, remove the liner, open the many vents. Sleeves even unzip on a really hot day (although I wouldn't ride this way)... either way... the vents on the arms go the entire length of the sleeve. You just unzip, or zip as much or as little as you want.

I have an Aerostich roadcrafter, and I rarely wear it. It's too damn hot for me. The thing I DO like about it, is it's convenient, and I can wear jeans under it, where on the Rallye 2, I can't.

The BMW Rallye 2 suit is the best riding gear I've ever had. The quality is outstanding, and it's quite durable.

I've crash tested it, and it performed very well.

Come to think of it...

I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter for sale.

It's a size 40L. Black with Silver ballistic, and in excellent, like-new condition. It has the back protector and hip pads. Also has velcro for knee-sliders.

$400. I'll pay the shipping.

What he said!!

Motoport Air Mesh. It is realistic viable from 45 - 85 degrees. Zips together, or you can buy a 1 piece. Most expense, irritating customer service, terrible customer service, horrible customer service, (did I mention bad customer service) but absolutely the best piece of gear.

I own, Roadcrafter 1 piece, Killimangero Air, and motoport. All are very good, and all can be recommended. but if money is not the 1 priority, and wearabilty and safety are, then Motoport wins (in my opionon) hands down.

Once you get the motoport and wear it for 4 months the terrible, horrible unrealiable customer service is forgotten. However if you can wear off the rack sizing, then sometimes the motoport service can actually be decent.

If you need custom sizing, fitting, etc just go into it knowing that Aerostitch rules in this area, and generally motoport suck. But I still rank my motoport as a 10 and my 1 piece roadcrafter as a 8.5 and my Killimagaro as a 7.0

YMMV, and I am sure there are many more satisfied Aerostitch customers than motoport, but I encourage you to at least check it out.

Archived