IGNORED

Usefullness of bike locks

BarryBrisco

I'm a new member of this forum. I've searche past posts and can't find much discussion about bike locks: types, pros, cons, etc. Seems that most riders don't use them. I understand that bike thefts are rare (but hardly unheard of) and that professional thieves can defeat just about any lock, or just have a few guys pick up a locked bike and put it in a truck. Even so, I'd appreciate hearing opinions regarding the best quality cable locks or brake locks. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, and because of limited garage space, park my bike in my carport right by the front door of my house. I would feel better with some kind of lock on my bike. I've been looking through what's available at http://www.mclocks.com and there are a lot of choices!

Thanks.

If you are asking, do you think bike locks are useful?

My personal answer would be yes... Useful in helping you drop your bike some day!

Beyond that - no.

I think a lock would be useful to provide some measure of protection against my bike being stolen out of my carport (I'm considering drilling into the concrete foundation and epoxying in a large case-hardened eye bolt to thread a cable throuh) as well as when I'm touring with my group of friends: if in a row of bikes mine is the one with the lock, the thieves are going to pass on mine and focus on the unlocked bikes of my friends. Do I sound callous? No, just practical. wink.gif

A lock is not going to stop them, just slow them down enought to, prehaps, make the thief go for an easier target.

And locking the bike to a fixed object is better yet.

You have already taken the best motorcycle anti-theft measure available... you bought a BMW. wink.gif

A lock is not going to stop them, just slow them down enought to, prehaps, make the thief go for an easier target.
Yep. A good lock might prevent a crime of opportunity by slowing them down enough to make them think twice or look for an easier mark... maybe... but if you advertise by parking a desirable vehicle in the same place night after night it will be gone no matter what you do. Being inconspicuous is the best defense.
finallyabeemer

Very wise things said here... ANY lock or other security measure can be defeated if the person wanting it wants it bad enough.

My philosophy? Securing at home is harder than on the road for the reasons already pointed out - the thief has opportunity to research and make multiple efforts. So the security needs to be stepped up.

3 prongs:

1) Out of sight, out of mind. Doesn't sound like you have many options there.

2) Dissuade the lazy ones. Do something obvious to make it look like a really hard job so only the most serious ones continue to pursue. Big hardened chains, locking wheel chocks, and the like. But bike must be locked to something. Many bike thieves work as a team to carry away.

3) Very stealthy notification. Something they aren't aware of that lets me know they're interested so I get the opportunity to intervene. Alarm is the simplest, especially with a pager. But keep in mind, once they know it's there, you need to step up your defenses because they will be ready to disable it the next time. And if they want it, there will be a next time. Think motion sensors and trip wires around perimeter.

milesandmiles

I have a ZENA rotor lock with 110 db motion alarm. Many people are "why bother" types, I'm a "why not" sort. See the "louder horn" thread to observe the different opinions.

Wish I had a picture of my riding buddy going over the handlebars on his V-Strom. Did in a brand new Arai helmet, various plastic bits, 1 rotor, left fork leg, both (yep, both...) mirrors, windshield, scared the bejesus out of himself, myself, and about 3 casual observers.

Cost of lock: 72.00

Cost of repairs: 836.00

Cost to self esteem: priceless

I think common sense trumps disc locks ALMOST everytime. I do carry one under the pass. seat in case I break down somewhere remote and am forced to leave the bike at the side of the road, hoping it might keep some opportunistic thief from repairing my bike and driving off lmao.gif.

Jim W.

milesandmiles

I don't use the lock very much, but it's sure nice to know it's there if I feel I need it. I bought an orange cord to attach from the lock to my handle bar, if the 110db siren doesn't get my attention as soon as I budge the bike. blush.gif

You have already taken the best motorcycle anti-theft measure available... you bought a BMW. wink.gif

Okay, I have to ask...why is simply owner a BMW bike an effective anti-theft measure? I assume that, like cars, stolen bikes are almost always rapidly parted out. Given the high price of BMW parts (!) I would think BMW bikes would be a tasty target for thieves.

Returning to my original question...some have stated that unobstrusive locking devices, like brake locks, often lead to calamity when the rider forgets they are there and attempts to drive off. grin.gif No doubt that happens, but the models with the built in motion detector/siren surely eliminate that problem.

Leaving that aside, I am interested in opinions on which integrated cable loccks are the best. I assume that "thicker is better", to a point, but more interested in the quality of one manufacturers locking mechanism compared to others. This is something that I cannot judge just by looking at them. Any lock experts out there?

Thanks.

Okay, I have to ask...why is simply owner a BMW bike an effective anti-theft measure? I assume that, like cars, stolen bikes are almost always rapidly parted out. Given the high price of BMW parts (!) I would think BMW bikes would be a tasty target for thieves.
I don't really know, but BMWs seem to always appear at the bottom of 'most stolen bike' lists. Perhaps because they aren't wrecked with the same frequency as sportbikes, plus there are relatively few sold here (compared to Japanese bikes and HD), thus less demand for parts.

Okay, I have to ask...why is simply owner a BMW bike an effective anti-theft measure?

Because the market for stolen BMW parts is pretty much non-existent. There are fewer of them than most brands, they crash less than other brands (except for members of this board!) and most owners refuse to purchase stolen parts.

There's a huge demand for parts for replica-racers (multiple crashes), track bikes (same), and Harleys (biggest market share). This is part of the reason that the insurance cost for most BMW's is lower than other bikes.

It's kind of like stealing a station wagon...why bother?

The most stolen vehicles are once that are the most common with the highest demand for parts. That makes BMW's less desirable. At 630lb wet, it's not easy for 2-3 guys ot lift, compared ot a 400lb sportbike.

BMW's aren't "cool" and aren't as easy to sell to peole that buy stolen bikes. A BMW is an "enthusiast" machine. Not a bike someone buys in a dark alley in a cash only transaction.

I have a garage at home, and on the road, it's usually at a well lite, well populated area like a hotel.

Just found a good article on how to prevent your bike from being stolen:

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_9812_motorcycle_theft/

It advises locking your bike with a good cable lock to an immovable object, though it doesn't get into the specifics of what makes a good lock. But disc locks suffer from not preventing the team "lift and go" approach, unless of course they also activate a siren. The article also lists the 10 most frequently stolen bikes (all Japanese makes) and the top 10 states for bike theft (California is at the top, darn!).

I think I'm on the right track for keeping my bike safe in my carport: a good cable lock attached to an eye bolt drilled into my house foundation.

Haven't had the bike long enough to offer much on this subject, but I can say the Kryptonite Lock company sure stands behind their products.

I bought the 3" disc lock for the helmets and clothes from the BMW dealer, just in case. I then dug out an old Krypton bicycle lock, for the front wheel, just in case. Found I could not find but one key, and no one had any blanks in the area. I contacted the company. They stated they also did not have keys, and offered to replace the lock, at no charge. They also sent two more keys for the helmet lock, no charge.

If you get stuck on the road and lose a key or forget a combination, they will provide that for you as well. You must register your lock with the company to do so.

Appreciate the questions on the post, as that has made me think twice about using a lock on the front wheel.

Like they say: it won't stop them. But it will slow them down - maybe long enough so they move on to an easier target. And that does the trick in my book.

We park our bikes in the condo carport every day. A couple weeks back my girlfriend caught a guy stopped in his truck and staring at the bikes at 5:30am. The next day I bought a big ass chain and locked them together and to the carport. Knock on wood, they're still there. It's quick and easy enough that I don't see a reason not to. I don't, however, drag that big ol' chain around with me everywhere I go. Just at home, where it's there all the time - presenting itself as an easy 4am target. good luck!

the models with the built in motion detector/siren surely eliminate that problem.

One would think wouldn't they?

But I know at least one person, on this board, who shall not be outed by me, who put on his gear, put in his ear plugs, mounted, started the bike, wondered, "What's that noise in the distant background?" and three seconds later dumped the still disk-locked bike.

Two weeks ago I went down to my garage (I live in a large apartment building with underground parking which is gated off) to find my MV Agusta had been fiddled with. The mirrors had been twisted around, every switch had been moved, and greasy fingerprints were on every painted surface. Thoughts of justifiable homicide went through my head.

I went out that afternoon and bought the biggest, thickest, hardened chain lock and now I chain the wheels of the MV and the GS together. It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to a stationary object I have in my particular parking situation. At the very least, they won't be able to carry the MV away easily.

On a recent one month trip, used a trackside bike cover and on occasion used the rotor lock with orange line to throttle grip. Depended on the neighborhood and location. Usually parked under the Motel/Hotel portico with the cover.

Don't waste your money with a lock. People don't steal BMW's, plain and simple.

If you want to protect it from vandalism, put a ratty cover on it, don't wash your wheels, and put it in an inconspicuous and DARK area. Why not well lit? You attract a lot of attention to yourself when operating in the dark with a flashlight.

Don't waste your money with a lock. People don't steal BMW's, plain and simple.

Blanket statements like that...are usually wrong. I know a BMW RT owner who had his bike stolen. It does happen.

I do agree that they are less likely to be stolen than the latest Japanese road rockets.

Archived