IGNORED

Seeking Thrills and Taking Risks

onmyrt

Being motorcycle riders, we're all familiar with the many thrills that a bike ride can provide, as well as the associated risks.

The acceleration, the speed, the lean, the wind, the sights, the sounds, and the scents.

All of these sensations combine to create an experience that has captivated my soul for over 30 years.

Aside from motorcycling, I used to get my thrills by racing shifter karts, which was an entirely different experience altogether.

Going from 0 to 100 mph and back to 0 in 10 seconds is a thrill beyond description, but it came at a high risk.

A racing incident brought me dangerously close to a spinal injury, and that was where I drew the line.

I have noticed that the older I get, the less it takes to thrill me,

though I do close my eyes on occasion while riding, just for grins. wink.gif

So, my question to you all is this:

Besides motorcycling, what other thrill seeking/risky behaviors do you partake in?

russell_bynum
Airplanes, helicopters, and posting in the nude.

Pardon me while I go poke out my mind's eye.

eek.gif

That just ain't right.

Breathing.

Posting on the internet using my real name.

Snow skiing and water skiing, but a lot less than I used to.

Hanging around with a bunch of hoons every chance I get.

Posting on the internet using my real name.
You are brave! How many of you are there on the Internet now?

I used to kayak out on the bay and ocean (solo), and have gone out in some really bad weather (tropical storms, just prior to hurricane, etc.). Been to busy recently. <Yeah, that's the ticket! Too busy.> wink.gif

Airplanes, helicopters, and posting in the nude.

Big deal! Unless you're posting in the nude while flying the airplane or helicopter. eek.gifwink.gif

Scuba with sharks, skydiving, rapelling and flying helicopters were a real buzz, but living with a mexican woman was the most life threatening experience i have had. Use your imagination. eek.gif

Dr. J

Calvin  (no socks)

No pictures please...........!

I'm just getting over the "goober" nightmares......and

then the mental picture of Kenny in his underwear with beer bottles breaking.....Risky Business...

Thrills.... Taking it over a ton for 30 miles....

Risks.......Deer on the same route as the thrill

Besides motorcycling, what other thrill seeking/risky behaviors do you partake in?

enforce some of the law some of the time in rural East Texas.... wink.gif

enforce some of the law some of the time in rural East Texas.... wink.gif

I knew it! Where's someone that cares enough to have some moral outrage when I need them! lmao.giflmao.gif

I'm with Whip, opening a small business, although I'll raise you... Opening it with your spouse while you have a young child (other than me....) in the house.

I wake up, that's a thrill.

I go to sleep, there's the risk I won't wake up.

That's enough for me. smirk.gif

OH, and post pictures of David posting.

color]

I have noticed that the older I get, the less it takes to thrill me, . . .
count yourself lucky. some of us have to beat it with a stick . . .

aside from sex, drugs and rock&roll? who's gonna answer that one truthfully, except for maybe lawman, and even he isn't going to admit visiting the chicken ranch grin.gif

so the one thing i'll admit to, aside from sometimes stopping at the back end of a stoplight queue instead of splitting to the front cool.gif, is chasing jets down final approach with my old mooney. love it when i'm in trail of a lear and air traffic control tells me to reduce speed for slower trafficthumbsup.gif

quote:

chasing jets down final approach with my old mooney. love it when i'm in trail of a lear and air traffic control tells me to reduce speed for slower traffic!

I WOULD LOVE TO TRY THAT!! That beats my mountainbiking or drinking a case of Bud in a sitting! tongue.gif

I have about 400 hours in helicopters and airplanes.

Worked as a street/detective/motor cop for 30 years and managed to retire with a full pension without getting physically hurt. More importantly I managed to retire without needing psychiatric help. Cop work is not the riskiest job out there but the stress grinds at you in different ways. I used to seek out violent amusment park rides but age caught up with me. Now the rides just give me headaches.

Big deal! Unless you're posting in the nude while flying the airplane or helicopter. eek.gifwink.gif

I'll "Plead the Fifth" on that one, but a certain 'club of altitude' comes to mind wink.gif

And I can't believe no one has mentioned skydiving, That is serious fun!

I'll "Plead the Fifth" on that one, but a certain 'club of altitude' comes to mind wink.gif

I went sky diving as soon as I turned 18. I'd never even been in a plane before that. It wasn't until my seventh plane flight that I was still in the plane when it landed. Great sport, interrupted by college and then life.

BTW, a member of a certain altitude club???? Are you implying you were granted membership into this club while posting and flying the aircraft all at the same time??? If this is the case you are the ultimate multitasker! thumbsup.gif

BTW, a member of a certain altitude club???? Are you implying you were granted membership into this club while posting and flying the aircraft all at the same time??? If this is the case you are the ultimate multitasker! thumbsup.gif

Wellll...I did take a small liberty there; I wasn't 'posting' at the time wink.gif

Besides, at that point the internet was in its infancy, and I don't think there would have been a way to get online up there tongue.gifgrin.gif

I was married for 5 years, consecutively...

Combat Pistol Shooting...

I occasionally chase down people who don't want to be found...

I shop at Wal Mart...

thumbsup.gif

Dave McReynolds

Started daydreaming about seeking thrills and taking risks as a kid, and then started off really doing it when I quit college and joined the Marines in 1964. Besides motorcycling, I've enjoyed mountaineering, rock climbing, skiing and bow hunting. Had a wonderful 23 day backpacking/climbing trip in the Wind River mountains in Wyoming last July. Have had more than my share of misadventures with women and stormy marriages, but like Clint Eastwood said in the Unforgiven, "I ain't like that no more. I ain't the same, Ned."

AdventurePoser

J and I both enjoy paragliding. You might enjoy these shots...

210584090-M.jpg

Here is looking north along Big Sur shortly after launch:

73240531-M.jpg

And last, final approach set up...

210585487-M.jpg

ride safely,

Steve

I wake up, that's a thrill.

I go to sleep, there's the risk I won't wake up.

That's enough for me. smirk.gif

OH, and post pictures of David posting.

color]

Now that's funny no matter who you are. lmao.giflmao.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I've gotta add it although I never really had a problem. Playing pool for big time money in various and assorted sleazy poolrooms around the country. The dollar amounts didn't always have to be all that big either. Toughest score I ever made where there was some doubt about getting out of there with the cash wouldn't have bought a half decent GPS.

Teaching high school in inner city Philadelphia.

No thanks, I'd rather take my chances skydiving! thumbsup.gif

But, thanks for doing it just the same!

THe older he gets the less it takes to thrill him,

Wait until the enlarged prostate hits him and he can't find a public restroom in time...that's exciting.

lmao.gif

Itinerant SRT medic.

Long time swiftwater rescue instructor.

Ditto rope rescue.

Jumped out of a perfectly good airplane once.

Ride the hook out of a helicopter when called for.

Give the cat (nickname Lucifer) pills.

Play the avoid-the-latte-drinkin-cell-phone-talkin-not payin-attention-cage-drivers-while-driving-in-oncoming-traffic-game 48 hours a week.

Yes it is -

oversebastian.jpg

In freefall with a friend from the UK, over Sebastian, Florida.

Thrills...Paying off the house,cars and motorcycles

Risks....Taking my wife to the mountains and her wanting to buy property there.

Well, every once in a while I like to tell me wife: "Beer me Woman!!!"

That's definately a risk.

Oh its way more hazardous than riding my RT to work through heavy traffic.

Probably going out into the Everglades by myself to check out the critters. I should practice the buddy system, and I may very well may next time as I know it's generally considered too dangerous to go out by yourself. However, most of the people I know are busy with family and job- I am on disability fighting cancer and want to get out there before I am totally disabled. Every day out in nature is a good day. smile.gif I think the paraglider and the Philadelphia inner-school teacher are up towards the top. That takes a lot of gumption? Is that a dang word?

Probably going out into the Everglades by myself to check out the critters. I should practice the buddy system, and I may very well may next time as I know it's generally considered too dangerous to go out by yourself. However, most of the people I know are busy with family and job- I am on disability fighting cancer and want to get out there before I am totally disabled. Every day out in nature is a good day. smile.gif I think the paraglider and the Philadelphia inner-school teacher are up towards the top. That takes a lot of gumption? Is that a dang word?

That's definetly up there for risk. I grew up in Miami and used to skip school and go out to the Everglades. There are some truly beautiful places out there, but there are a lotta things that can kill you too.

I was once out there with my dad. I was sitting on a dock, legs hanging over the side, feet dangling a few inches from the water. My dad was with me and he whispered "Danny, pull your feet up on the dock and look down" I did and there was a gator probably 12 feet long slowly gliding toward the dock. He was about two feet away when I looked down.

I also came damn close to getting bit by a rattle snake out there. Helping my dad's girlfriend clear out some land. I was wearing shorts, no shoes. Took a big rake and pulled back a bunch of twigs, branches, and debris and there was a nice three or four foot long rattle snake. He was very unhappy about being disturbed. I called out to my dad's girlfriend, stepped back from the snake slowly and she blew it apart with a shotgun. To tell the truth I was more afraid of her pointing that shotgun in my direction than I was of that snake!

Be careful out there.

That takes a lot of gumption? Is that a dang word?
yep. it's a dang good word.

gumption (gùmp´shen) noun

Informal.

1.Boldness of enterprise; initiative or aggressiveness.

2.Guts; spunk.

3.Common sense.

[scots.]

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

I have, for the past several years, waited until April 15th to submit my federal income taxes. I scoff at danger. dopeslap.gif

motorcycle racing and charging it all to my credit cards

mountain biking down the North Shore in BC

3 months in Guyana South America

Karate testing for various belts

being a passenger in a stunt plane

bungee jumping, skydiving, surfing, scuba diving and the usual....

and for the stupidest of them all

getting in the ring for a real kickboxing match, 8 oz gloves, no other pads OUCH!

What is the craziest, riskiest thing you want to do or dream of one day doing???

Misti

This here is interesting.

How many of you risk takers are ATGATT-preacher types?

To those who are, how many of you want to die in bed?

And if you don't care, why are you anal about a helmet and gear? If you want to minimize risk to your bod, don't do that stuff!

(Oops! That's a semi-rant/digression - couldn't control self - indulging risky business here.)eek.gif

Pilgrim

Misti,

You're a nut (and I love it!) thumbsup.gif

As for me, jetskiing and motorcycle stuff is about as risky as it gets, from track riding, to street riding to dirt riding...but I try to do it all as safely as possible! wink.gif

As for stuff I'd like to do, if I was able to grow a set of brass ones?

Skydiving (looks really scary, but really fun, and it seems like it would have a bigger payoff then bungee jumping...the thrill lasts longer than a few seconds)

Paragliding looks like a hoot too

Motorcycle racing would just be the bomb, but I'd have to get over my self preservation mode and just let it all hang out. I do have racerish tendencies; one time at work we had a teambuilding event and went kart racing. I was second and closing on the lead guy the whole time (he started from pole, and I got held up by a few people at the start, but quickly dispatched with them). All I cared about was catching him...nothing else mattered...a meteor could have struck the place, but I'd still have him in my scope. I finally caught him on the last lap, and he turned around and was so surprised to see me right on his tail! We both got behind a lapper and were yelling and screaming (and the flagmen were waving the blue flags) for the lapper to get out of the way...well he finally pulled over, let the lead guy go buy, and then tucked back in again right in front of me (not sure he knew I was there), forcing me to take second in the race....ooh i was mad at that guy! GRRR. BUT, all that to say, that was just (relatively safe (and slow)) karts...you could (as Kenny Roberts Jr. says so eloquently in Faster) get seriously hurt or seriously killed racing bikes, so that's a whole other level that I don't think my timid self will ever get to, no matter how much of an inner competitor there is waiting to get out!

one time at work we had a teambuilding event and went kart racing.[snip]

....ooh i was mad at that guy!

Sounds like the event was a success. smile.gif
russell_bynum
one time at work we had a teambuilding event and went kart racing.[snip]

....ooh i was mad at that guy!

Sounds like the event was a success. smile.gif

LOL!!!!

Archived