FlyingFinn

You saw the Requirement Specs already but just to re-iterate:

- Sporty but simple tourer under 500lb

- Roomy enough for a 6'3" (?) rider, must have plenty of legroom

- 100+ HP

- All-day-after-day comfortable for two-up

- Fuel range 200+ miles per tank

- Good suspension + frame

I'll start with drive train. My suggestion would be the fuel injected 1000cc V-twin from a V-Strom. Superb motor, good usable power followed by a 6-speed tranny and reliable chain drive. Compact and super reliable.

What else do we need, frame, seat, ergos, fairing(?), bags, suspenders, brakes...

Your turn.

--

Mikko

Or, what do we need that an SV1000S doesn't already provide, since you're starting with the L-twin engine?

Better seats? Luggage?

How about a frame and suspension from a Ducati, luggage from a BMW, quality control from Honda, and style from, well, we're back to Ducati?

Seems like you're setting us off to work on the motorcycle equivalent of the first half of this:

"Heaven is where the Police are British, the Chefs are French, the Mechanics are German, the Lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the Chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the Police are German and it's all organised by the Italians."

17 inch wheels......

Brembo radial binders.....

Givi racks......

2 piece seat.....not too much of a step.....

Not a big windshield...but enough to keep the rain outa your undies.....

Able to hoon without the bags.......

6 gallon tank and 45 mpg.....

32-33 inch seat hieght.......

Enough of a stator to handle 300 extra watts.....

Chain drive....

We're gettin close......

Or, what do we need that an SV1000S doesn't already provide, since you're starting with the L-twin engine?

Better seats? Luggage?

How about a frame and suspension from a Ducati, luggage from a BMW, quality control from Honda, and style from, well, we're back to Ducati?

Seems like you're setting us off to work on the motorcycle equivalent of the first half of this:

"Heaven is where the Police are British, the Chefs are French, the Mechanics are German, the Lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the Chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the Police are German and it's all organised by the Italians."

I think you got it Bill.

I love those lines....you don't mind if I use them to start my new bidness..

thumbsup.gif

The SV1000 is actually a very good suggestion (for a starting point).

IIRC, Cycle Mag once gave it the title "The Best Motorcycle You Never Bought".

- The S model has surprisingly agressive ergos, I would replace the clip-ons with regular bars of personal fave bend.

- I think it needs a bigger tank, 200mi range might be tight.

- Set of good luggage, a full-custom set from Jesse maybe?

- Better suspension components from Sweden.

Done.

Francois_Dumas

Better seats? Luggage?

I think you got it Bill.

I love those lines....you don't mind if I use them to start my new bidness..

thumbsup.gif

You forgot something....

heaven is ".... where the Dutch handle the finances".

hell is ".... where the Dutch handle your finances". lmao.gif

Archived