IGNORED

Compact travelling shoes?

finallyabeemer

finallyabeemer

You guys were so helpful on the tankbag question (Maxpedition M5 on the way!) that I have the following challenge for you:

What shoes do you bring along for apres ride? My Gaerne boots are incredibly comfortable for riding and short hikes, but get some odd stares when walking around in shorts... This seems to bother my wife much more than I, but I do try to minimize how much I embarass her from time to time.

Real shoes in size 11 take up more saddlebag space than I'm willing to sacrifice. So I've been toting Teva sandals for years. Usually hanging off the bike somewhere. But sometimes (like around this time of year!) I'd like something equally comfortable and compact, but in a fully covered keep the toesies warm and dry configuration rather than a sandal. What have you found?

Look up "Keen Newport H2" with socks, baby. Don't worry about someone making fun of you. Some of the most comfortable shoes on the planet. smile.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I like Bali deerskin loafers. They are about as compact as you can get.

Socks, in my neck or the woods, are considered formal wear, akin to a set of tails.

I used to always travel with old school Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars, but the damn things are almost $40 most places now. They were easy to pack, cheap, and the canvas dried easy if they got wet. Considering the recent price increase, I don't think I will be buying them anymore. $40 for a slab of rubber and some canvas.......whats this world coming to?

ShovelStrokeEd

Keith,

Don't even look at the Bali's. The price would probably cause cardiac arrest. Of course, I only have to buy a pair every 10 years or so.

BTW, I also like Merrill footwear. I have a pair of their slip on walking shoes with vibram soles on now. Muy comfy.

I like Bali deerskin loafers. They are about as compact as you can get.

Socks, in my neck or the woods, are considered formal wear, akin to a set of tails.

Anything, in your neck of the woods, is basically out of fashion. tongue.gif

Look up "Keen Newport H2" with socks, baby. Don't worry about someone making fun of you. Some of the most comfortable shoes on the planet. smile.gif

David is 100% correct...I just spent nearly 3 weeks in Europe with my Oxtar boots (very nice to walk in) and a pair of Keen H2's and they were amazingly comfortable and pack down small...it was a bit of a risk as I only got em a few days before we left but I am very impressed with them...they have a closed toe so unless it is really raining or you are walking in puddles you should stay dry enough....

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_wall.aspx?cat=Men

Sierra Trading Post has em pretty often, but you need to be quick as they sell out of the popular sizes. You can sign up for an email alert (brand specific) and when they get a new shipment in they will let you know....great company and great prices...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

ShovelStrokeEd

True dat!

I haven't yet gotten to the sandals with over the calf black socks topped off with fish belly white, knobby knees and Bermuda shorts worn with the waist band on top of the belly yet, but give me a couple more years. I already have the legs. eek.gif

Deck shoes (Top-Siders or such). They smash pretty flat, are comfortable, not affected by water, and, best of all, extremely stylish. wink.gif Well, maybe not "extremely," but they look decent with slacks or shorts (no socks with the latter, please). They're the best solution I've found so far.

I've got a pair of Soggs and a pair of crocs off road. Like 'em both. The crocs have far better cushioning, weigh nothing, are mondo comfortable, and they're about as easy to care for anything you could find. Maybe not all that compact, tho.

I bring my running shoes wiht elestic laces so I can just slip them on (It's a Triathlete thing). I thinmk you're problem is storage space.

I'm a huge pan of dry bags and nylon quick release straps. JUst toss you're extra shoes and jackets in there, press hte air out and roll it closed for a airtight/watertight seal.

finallyabeemer
I think you're problem is storage space.

Yup, that's one way to describe it! Carrying enough for two people to camp "comfortably" is a challenge! I have years of minimalist camping experience, but we also enjoy comfort camping. The external bags are pretty full with tent and sleeping bags and air bed and collapsible wash basin and stove...

My goal is to minimize the volume of everything so I can bring along more extravagances. eg, if I can reduce the size of the shoes, I can squeeze in a couple polycarbonate wine glasses! thumbsup.gif Just cause I can, and it feels so good to do it...

I am going to try a pair of Timberland clogs - relatively thin soles, soft leather uppers, and cut down heel should be almost as compact as Tevas.

Archived