IGNORED

Front Wheel Removal Tool

rbstone

Or, just line up & tack weld two 9/16 nuts on a bolt, .59 cents at the surplus store.....cheers grin.gif

Plus the price of welding equipment for those of us that don't already have some thumbsup.gif

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I went to my local Ace hardware store and bought the largest Metric bolt they have and two matching nuts. The head fits the front wheel perfectly. I then put the two nuts on the bolt and twisted them tight together. Works great and is small to fit in my tool kit on the bike.

Why would a rational person buy Parnes wheel removal tool or even bother to cut the head off a socket to create a front wheel removal tool? As has been repeatedly mentioned on this forum, a 45 cent bolt and two 5 cent nuts work perfectly! confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Why would a rational person buy Parnes wheel removal tool or even bother to cut the head off a socket to create a front wheel removal tool? As has been repeatedly mentioned on this forum, a 45 cent bolt and two 5 cent nuts work perfectly! confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Why would a rational person introduce a concept like rational behavior into a gadget discussion on this forum dopeslap.gif??

I use a 22mm nut welded to a 9/16" 3/8" drive socket. The local welding shop tacked them together for me for free grin.gif!!

BTW, I LOVE my Mark Parnes wheel balancer!

Because sometimes the right tool makes the job easier.

I have the MP tool, and it works reliably and easily, as well as being light weight. I have tried double nutting a bolt, and had it slip on more than one occasion. I also have the cut off spark plug socket, and it works just fine, and was free.

Why buy bolts and nuts, and the gas to go get them, and the time to go get them, when you can order one online for about the same amount? dopeslap.gif Or, make one from a socket you probably have lying around! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Snap-on HXD22 works for me .lots of chrome on this baby!!

Ok it costs $$ but remember I've got the biggest tool box on the planet clap.gifclap.gif 30' long and self propelled too lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Motion Pro also makes a hex tool (17/19/22/24 combo), but it costs more than the Marc Parnes tool. Given that I already have a 19/24 tool for my rice grinder, I thought it would be nice to save a few bucks on the MP tool (compared to the Motion Pro) and support a BMWST member while I'm at it. As to using the suggested bolt/spark plug socket options, let's just say that I could screw up boiling water without written instructions... a tool maker I am not. lmao.gif

Well Jim, let'see why.

Option A: Buy a bolt and screw two nuts on it. Presto, you have a front wheel removal tool that works perfectly. Cost-trivial. Tools required to manuafacture - nil. Skill required to manufacture - niller still! Time to manufacture - nillest! And if you happen to be caught without it, well the "tool" is as close as your nearest hardware or Home Depot.

Option B: Find the right size spark plug socket, cut the hex portion away, weld the hex to a ratchet extension. Cost - spark plug socket, ratchet extension, welding equipment. Tools required: vise, hack saw, welding equipment. Skill required to manufacture - welding. Time to manufacture - 45 minutes.

Option C: Order Parnes tool. Cost: $25 plus shipping. Tools required: a pen, envelope and stamp OR a computer with internet connection. Skill required: writing or computer skills. Time required: Depends on former! ADDED ADVANTAGE- When you log on Parnes web site, you can read promotion for VonBaden's video! Oh, and Jim, surely double nutting a bolt so it won't slip requires less skill than that presumed in your maintenance video! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Well Jim, let'see why.

Option A: Buy a bolt and screw two nuts on it. Presto, you have a front wheel removal tool that works perfectly. Cost-trivial. Tools required to manuafacture - nil. Skill required to manufacture - niller still! Time to manufacture - nillest! And if you happen to be caught without it, well the "tool" is as close as your nearest hardware or Home Depot.

Option B: Find the right size spark plug socket, cut the hex portion away, weld the hex to a ratchet extension. Cost - spark plug socket, ratchet extension, welding equipment. Tools required: vise, hack saw, welding equipment. Skill required to manufacture - welding. Time to manufacture - 45 minutes.

Option C: Order Parnes tool. Cost: $25 plus shipping. Tools required: a pen, envelope and stamp OR a computer with internet connection. Skill required: writing or computer skills. Time required: Depends on former! ADDED ADVANTAGE- When you log on Parnes web site, you can read promotion for VonBaden's video! Oh, and Jim, surely double nutting a bolt so it won't slip requires less skill than that presumed in your maintenance video! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

tongue.gif Very funny. I suppose you make your own wrenches too?

Some people would rather use the RIGHT tool, rather than risk messing up their expensive bikes with cobled together crap.

But hey, have fun! dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Thickasabrick

There is another option. The tool kits from other BMW bikes or the extended tool kit for the R1200RT have some tools that will take out the axle.

See the attached pic.

944740-DSC00002.JPG.490949e3b61c3ee0677e2dc400501e75.JPG

Now come on Jim, get a sense of humor. When you have an untenable position, just admit it! And speaking of "cobbled together crap" as you describe it, doesn't your maintenance video illustrate the use of a "cobbled together crap" funnel/bolt for refilling the ABS pump? I actually found that cobbled together tool to reflect your resourcefulness, just as the double nutted bolt is a resourceful wheel removal solution. And I applaud your cross-marketing with Parnes, but a disclosure would be more forthright!thumbsup.gif

Your choice to use a bolt & 2 nuts is just that; your choice.

To present "your choice" by insinuating anyone who opts for an alternative other then yours is not rational is, at best, rude.

There are a lot of reasons other then yours folks choose to do what they do; doesn't make them any more right or wrong then you. Just their choice.

I bought (& use!) Jim's CD, I own more then one of Marc Parnes products & I'm happy with my choices. Still feel pretty rational too! smile.gif

"Some people would rather use the RIGHT tool, rather than risk messing up their expensive bikes with cobled together crap." Quote from Jim VonBaden

Does this sound like questioning the rationality of someone's decision?

dopeslap.gif

Been away awhile dealing with various health issues blush.gif - more or less back in one piece now, with newly acquired '05RT en-route clap.gif.

As my DIY skills are legendarily awful(*), I've bit the bullet and purchased both MP's wheel and his plugcap removal tools. To me, they're high quality, lightweight and a necessary addition to what passes for an RT toolkit these days. I've also just obtained the GS-911 diagnostic kit but that's another story!

(*) I can't help thinking that if I tried to make a DIY wheelbolt tool by welding two bolts &c together, the resultant disaster over here would be front page news as well.

The discussions in this thread also remind me about the sequence in "Zen and The Art Of Motorcycling" where one of the characters refuses to believe that such a sophisticated machine as a BMW motorcycle could be kept going by shims made out of a Coca-Cola tin ... grin.gif

The discussions in this thread also remind me about the sequence in "Zen and The Art Of Motorcycling" where one of the characters refuses to believe that such a sophisticated machine as a BMW motorcycle could be kept going by shims made out of a Coca-Cola tin ... grin.gif

They remind me of several 6 year olds saying...my daddy has a bigger car than yours. Very meaningful discussion!

After reading this thread I decided to go with the Motion Pro Hex Axle Tool

The additional sizes may prove valuable if a buddy on a different bike needs help as well.

That's what I use. Looks like we're both stupid for wasting $20 on a versatile tool.
$20.00? The link says it's $29.90. Where do I get the $9.90 rebate coupon?
Dunno. That's just what I thought my local shop charged me. I might be mistaken, but still, I'm pretty sure it wasn't $30.

We purchased an alleged "BMW shop tool" front wheel removal tool from our local independent shop for under $20. It looks like a 3" straight piece of hex tool (for lack of a better description) that you can put a wrench or a socket on. tongue.gifblush.gif

Just got the MotionPro tool... I chose to go with the CrMo tool instead of the aluminum - glad I did... rated to 150flb and not overly heavy, IMHO.

It fits all three of my bikes, the 19mm for the warrior, the 22mm for the R1200ST, and the 24mm for the SV1000S.

Mine was 35$ after tax and shipping - got it in one day - no kidding. As far as cost, $20, $30, $35 - whatever. I got a good quality tool that will always have a place in my tool box, especially since it works with lots of differnt bike's axles.

JT

Just a Quick Question: Can the front wheel be removed while the R1200RT is on the center stand? It seems necessary to raise the front end slightly higher, to achieve clearance to slide the tire out (I'm thinking road side flat).

Anyone?

Thank you.

Just a Quick Question: Can the front wheel be removed while the R1200RT is on the center stand? It seems necessary to raise the front end slightly higher, to achieve clearance to slide the tire out (I'm thinking road side flat).
Load up the back (pillion works fine) with weight, and you should be fine. You'll probably want to affix the center stand "just in case", but I've done it without.
Now come on Jim, get a sense of humor. When you have an untenable position, just admit it! And speaking of "cobbled together crap" as you describe it, doesn't your maintenance video illustrate the use of a "cobbled together crap" funnel/bolt for refilling the ABS pump? I actually found that cobbled together tool to reflect your resourcefulness, just as the double nutted bolt is a resourceful wheel removal solution. And I applaud your cross-marketing with Parnes, but a disclosure would be more forthright!thumbsup.gif

Yes, Mark sells my DVD's, I do not sell anything of his. I am also well known for using alternative tools and parts, but I do not use anything that can very possibly damage a bike, and two nuts on a bolt for removeing an expensive axle, possibly damaging the axle, and possibly slipping (as has happened in my experience) is not smart to me.

If it works for you, great, have at it. I used the end of a 13/16" socket I cut off for quite some time and it worked fine. Marc's tool works better, and has more options, so I advocate it.

I am not the only one who is a proponent of Marc's items, and do not benifit one cent from his sales. There is NO "cross marketing" going on here! I simply like his work, and appreciate the difficulties of selling to a crowd of owners famous for being cheap. grin.gif This is why Marc does so well, and has a good reputation, because he sells quality at a very reasonable price.

Now you can be sarcastic, and I couldn't care less, but you better have more than that if you want to impune my charactor. dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

HI Marty, you are everywhere lately! wave.gif

No attack on your character, just pointing out the fact that you promote a tool from a web site that promotes your video. Your suggestion that the head of a bolt that fits perfectly into the front wheel axle canal could damage the axle where the Parnes tool would not is beyond absurd. Even if the nuts slipped, that would in no way damage the axle. I guess when all is said and done, each of us has a special affection for our own tool!!!! lmao.gif

No attack on your character, just pointing out the fact that you promote a tool from a web site that promotes your video. Your suggestion that the head of a bolt that fits perfectly into the front wheel axle canal could damage the axle where the Parnes tool would not is beyond absurd. Even if the nuts slipped, that would in no way damage the axle. I guess when all is said and done, each of us has a special affection for our own tool!!!! lmao.gif

smirk.gif

Or, just line up & tack weld two 9/16 nuts on a bolt, .59 cents at the surplus store.....cheers grin.gif

Plus the price of welding equipment for those of us that don't already have some thumbsup.gif

Come on now, you can get a muffler shop to tack weld that for a couple bucks, or for free. Go to this web page at http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html and scroll down the page for an example of this tool. Or, you can spend $$$$ for a tool that takes much more space. Space is more valuable in my bike tool kit.

EDIT: Once again I should have read the entire thread before posting. You guys were doing quite well tearing up this thread without my help. lmao.gif

I didn't mean to start WWIII by pointing out how well a plain old double nutted bolt works as a front axle removal tool. I am sure Parnes tool is a fine product. But for me, there are so many more desired farkles and specialty tools that I really need for my Beemer, as one who has to allocate my limited resources, I was delighted to learn that for a buck I could in 60 seconds assemble a perfectly workable front wheel removal tool.

I only regret that some felt the need to raise absolutely absurd arguments to disparage this simple solution.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Max,

Way back on page 1 of this link you and I both suggested a "Double-nutted Bolt" as a small and simple tool to do this job. I went First Class and got a Stainless-steel Metric bolt and it fits perfectly. Also, I got it from my local Ace Hardware, so I didn't have to wait a week or so to have it delivered, when I needed it "right now". Certainly a quick, easy solution when a "Precision tool" is not needed.

I just ordered the Marc Parnes tool and the JVB DVD set.

I'm sure looking forward to getting them.

Makin stuffs fun and cool, but i want the Marc Parnes Tool waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

lmao.giflmao.gif

Archived