IGNORED

Driving and Brake Lights-Two Questions

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

To compensate for my aging eyes I installed a set of PIAA 910 driving lights on my R1150RT. They were fantastic; on desert roads truckers a mile away would begin dipping their lights at me.

Now I’ve owned my R1200RT for a few months and I am searching for another set of high intensity driving lights. They should be designed to throw a path of very bright light straight down the highway, as well as provide a small degree of peripheral illumination. The primary use for me would be to illuminate the roadway in front of me so that I could maintain higher night speeds…. grin.gif

What auxiliary lights are you using, and why?

Next, I want to install LED brake lights around my license plates to augment my taillight brakes. I have heard that “Hyperlites” may not work well with the RTs electrical system. Is this true, and if so, what other solutions are out there for me.

Thanks very much for your input-I really appreciate it.

Steve in So Cal

Hi Steve

IMHO you will have to go a long way to beat the PIAA 1100X's actuated by an autoswitch from the indicator cancel switch.

No experience of the hyperlights though

David

I have run PIAA 1100's for years on many different bikes and they are nice for filling in the sides of the road but do not throw a lot of light downrange.

I have just installed a set of Hella DE's (HID) under my directionals.....I cannot describe the amount of light. At least as much as the 910's but much more intense!.

I am also using P3's for aux brake lights.

I had a set of MotoLites installed at Curve Cowboys Reunion about 6 weeks ago and I love 'em, for just the reasons you mentioned. I have even been cussed out by a cage driver when I pulled up behind him at a stopsign, and have had several cagers hesitate at a stoplight and decide to NOT pull out in front of me in DAYLITE !!. I bought them instead of the PIAA (my bud with PIAA's have burned out 3 bulbs in 6 months at $19 per bulb) because I can buy replacements at any Home Depot store (H4's I think) for about $6 and because of the warrantee:

Motolight Halogen riding lights are warranted from defects in materials and/or workmanship for as long as you (the original purchaser) own the lights. This warranty applies to all components of Motolight driving lights, including the lenses, housings, wiring harness and connectors.

In addition to this warranty, Motolight will provide replacement halogen bulbs for those burned out in normal course of usage for as long as you own your Motolight driving lights.

... from www.motolight.com/warranty.asp

My guess is that the Motolite housings are 2-3 times larger than the PIAA housing and have lots more aluminum in them for better heat dissipation.

They are tough enough that you can stand on them when mounted on the bike calipers (I've seen it done by the installers), and have had no problems with the CANBUS system since having them mounted on my 05 12RT

Brightness is very similar to the PIAA's but Motolites have a yellowish cast whereas the PIAA's have a blueish cast. Independent observers split between the PIAA and Motolites mounted on bikes side-by-side for brightness at the CCR reunion.

P3 rear lights are my next purchase.

http://www.p3lights.com/

Hyperlites work fine with the 1200RT - no canbus issues. The install is so easy even a mechanical bozo like me can mount them. I don't have auxiliary front lights but I have a friend with motolights on his 1200 RT and he loves them. I believe he went for them to be more conspicuous and to fill in the edges around the oem lights - not a long distance beam.

AdventurePoser

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Do any of you have pictures of the lights on your bikes? I'd love to see the installations...

Steve

I have both the Hyper-Lites, ( love them, not issues at all...) and the Moto-Lites with the yellow 35w bulbs. I started with the 50w white bulbs but so many folks complained about how bright they were, ( other bikers...) that I tried the 35 yellow's and no people say they stand out nicely without being too bright.

They are still bright enough that on my 200km commute which over half of which is 2 lane back country roads that I love the way they light up the ditches. The stock H7's are plenty bright on low and I use an aftermarket super bulb in the high position. Works well.

I hope the picture attachment works as well...

Jim

475599226_941117-mini-mini-Hyper-LitesbrakeliteLEDs.jpg.4a4361297544c7a3e2555ec249d7df64.jpg

I have an 07 R 1200 Rt with motolights. I was driving after dark to a friend of mine behind a young female driver. I had on a white helmet. when I came up behind and put on my turn signal. She pulled over. It took me about 15 seconds to realize that she thought she had been puller over by a LEO!

I installed PIAA 1100X on Fender mount Martin brackets instead of Moto Lights. I had Moto Lights on my R1100RT and was not impressed with there night time performance.

The PIAA's look to do better.

As tail end enhancement I install the P-3 setup. I think it is way more notice able then the Hyper Lights.

941638-P8260033-1.jpg.66e5d6eaedfc6ba035a672d51ce56a28.jpg

I have terrible night vision, and I have had Motolights and PIAA 1100's. Neither come even close to the light output or beam pattern of the 910.

The Hella Micro DE is a HID setup that will give you an amazing amount of light over a wide pattern. This is what I'd probably choose if I upgrade to an R1200RT. Small form factor and a good amount of light. Wicked expensive. Worth it.

AdventurePoser
I have terrible night vision, and I have had Motolights and PIAA 1100's. Neither come even close to the light output or beam pattern of the 910.

The Hella Micro DE is a HID setup that will give you an amazing amount of light over a wide pattern. This is what I'd probably choose if I upgrade to an R1200RT. Small form factor and a good amount of light. Wicked expensive. Worth it.

I will google this for more information. I agree the 910s were phenomenal-in fact TOO bright to use anywhere there was much traffic. Also, physically, the 910s are very large...

27912540-M.jpg

Steve

CruisinCruzan

Hyperlites no problems with CanBus. I have the dual function 16 LEDs on either side of the plate and another set on the top case that I attach to the bottom set with a small trailer plug. I also have the amber versions under the mirrors to augment the turn signals. For light down the road, HID low beams with a set of Hella DE Xenon driving lights (same as the Touratech), serious light.

AdventurePoser
Hyperlites no problems with CanBus. I have the dual function 16 LEDs on either side of the plate and another set on the top case that I attach to the bottom set with a small trailer plug. I also have the amber versions under the mirrors to augment the turn signals. For light down the road, HID low beams with a set of Hella DE Xenon driving lights (same as the Touratech), serious light.

$699 for the Hella DE Micro lights.... tongue.gif

How did you mount them? Any pix??

Steve in So Cal

Everything about hooking up the Motologhts is quite straigtforward except for the relay being activated via the ignition. I do have an accessory fuse block but that is controlled by an accessory socket that doesn't shut off for 90 seconds.

How did you trigger the relay for the Motolights? I was going to use one of the yellow running lights to activate the relay, but wondered if that would cause CanBus problems.

Everything about hooking up the Motologhts is quite straigtforward except for the relay being activated via the ignition. I do have an accessory fuse block but that is controlled by an accessory socket that doesn't shut off for 90 seconds.

How did you trigger the relay for the Motolights? I was going to use one of the yellow running lights to activate the relay, but wondered if that would cause CanBus problems.

IF you want them on all the time, hook the signal wire to the low beam hot wire. No issues with the bus system, and the lights wont come on until the bike starts, saving additional draw on cold mornings.

Personally, I run my Motolights with a switch, and power it off the fuse box that has a relay. My motolights will come on with the key, I shut them off before starting, but I also have control of them completely.

You can get both by running your signal wire off the low bean, AND using a switch. This gives you automatic lights, and full control to shut them off when you want.

Jim cool.gif

AdventurePoser

Thanks...these are the Hella Micro Lights with Martin mounts, correct? Where did you mount the ballasts?

Steve in So Cal

CruisinCruzan

They are the Hella HID lights, however I made the bracket which consists of a piece of aluminum plate, 2 angle irons and an aluminum bar from which each light is hung. The four ballasts (2 for the low beams and 2 for the hellas) are under the dash. 2 are located roughly where the speakers would go and 2 are attached to a vertically oriented brace that separates the side mirror section from the rest of the dash. There is plenty of room for the ballasts.

Stephen, that set-up looks awesome. Can you run the Hella's while in traffic, or are they so bright they can only be used on an empty road? I'd like to get an outfit like that. dwillie.

They are the Hella HID lights, however I made the bracket which consists of a piece of aluminum plate, 2 angle irons and an aluminum bar from which each light is hung. The four ballasts (2 for the low beams and 2 for the hellas) are under the dash. 2 are located roughly where the speakers would go and 2 are attached to a vertically oriented brace that separates the side mirror section from the rest of the dash. There is plenty of room for the ballasts.
CruisinCruzan

Thanks. I have a switch wired in that in the on position slaves them to the high beam and in the off position they are always off. Since I have HID low beams, having 4 35 watt HID lights on all the time seems a bit much. The other aspect is that I have them aimed to supplement my high beam so keeping them on all the time would be inappropriate. If you had them mounted low like a set of motolights and aimed them low it could probably be done but I'm not sure why you would use them in that manner. I will say that when all of my lights are on I am putting out some serious light (my high beam is an overwattage halogen bulb).

Steve

If your hi/low beams are seperate bulbs....I'd suggest that you replace them both with HID's. Then for the "to be seen" thing, I'd install the Moto's or other optional lights. Once you have the HID's...they'll just about overpower ANYTHING else....unless you have them pointed out into the brush or up in the trees......and then I'd use the "yellow" bulbs in them for the added "can you see me now" factor.

Pat

AdventurePoser

Hi Pat,

Yes, they are separate bulbs. Switching them out to HID bulbs would probably be most cost effective.

BTW, will we see you for dinner at the Three Crabs when we are in Sequim over the Holidays?

Cheers,

Steve

Would these replacement bulbs (#4690, H4 (55w/60w)) from RiderWearhouse be any good for my R1150RS? Good bang for the buck or a waste? TIA.

IMHO they wont last any longer than stock, and wont be much brighter.

I have purchased a set of H7 HID lights complete for $87 at VMI.

Jim cool.gif

PS Not sure if you want both to be HID though. The ramp-up time is slow, and flashing your headlights isn't as effetive. Your call. Also, don't start your bike with the High Beams on, or you will reset your clock and your trip meters.

Archived