IGNORED

Zumo 550 and simple Verizon phones

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

(Also posted in www.zumoforums.com ..Great site, but you have to register. Well worth it)

I have spent the last few days educating myself about Verizon and Verizon phones. This is NOT a slam on Verizon. Simply information, Verified by speaking with Verizon and doing a lot of internet research. I'm less frustrated now that I'm educated.

Verizon 'modifys' BT capability in virtually every phone they distribute. There was even an attempt at a class action lawsuit over a very restrictive BT blocking in the early Motorola Razors. They are trying to protect their marketplace for data services, ringtones, video, GPS navigating, and other things. I understand. So, in general, their BT in a non Data Phone wont completely work with anything but a common headset. (Blackberry, Treo, others? will work..). This affects any other equipment vendor as well, not just Garmin.

I currently own 5 Verizon phones personally. I work for a company that has HUNDREDS of their phones. I like the company, I like their services. I believe their coverage is the best in the nation.

You just need to know that because of their marketing plan, some or all BT functionality will likely not work with the Zumo (and other devices like them) and their phones. The exact same phone from another carrier will have a slightly different model number, and work fine. Check the Garmin BT compatability chart.

My company has offered me a Blackberry, and I will probably take it. They work with the Zumo because your paying for a phone and services that are designed to allow connectivity with other data devices.

I hope this helps any of you that have Verizon phones.

I LOVE MY ZUMO 550!

Dave... I am glad you posted this here and also over at the zumo forums.

In fact the Verizon phones pair very well with the zumo. My V3M works great, including all functions such as call history, phone book etc. Quality is great and the connectivity is fast.

Some other models are not as well performing, but all reports suggest that verizon performs better then Cingular and some others.

As a moderator over at the zumo board I can tell you what we recommend is to take your zumo to the phone store and try out the bluetooth connectivity. Most stores are easy to work with, especially Verizon stores. Some reports that Cingular has not been as cooperative.

p.s. I have no financial or other intrest in Verizon.

DaveTheAffable
Dave... I am glad you posted this here and also over at the zumo forums.

In fact the Verizon phones pair very well with the zumo. My V3M works great, including all functions such as call history, phone book etc. Quality is great and the connectivity is fast.

Some other models are not as well performing, but all reports suggest that verizon performs better then Cingular and some others.

As a moderator over at the zumo board I can tell you what we recommend is to take your zumo to the phone store and try out the bluetooth connectivity. Most stores are easy to work with, especially Verizon stores. Some reports that Cingular has not been as cooperative.

p.s. I have no financial or other intrest in Verizon.

Thanks Hopz! I'm tempted to take my 8350 back and try the V3M. Thru the day today I'm hearing from others that all is not beautiful with other carriers either!

Like I said, not a Verizon slam... just learning.

I think your advice to take the Zumo in and try it is excellant advice, no matter who the carrier. Verizon store was very polite, but not very knowledgeable, which I understand. Make sure you try ALL functions from the Zumo. My current phone works great except being able to hang up.... eek.gif Who'da thunk it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave, I'm kind of new to this forum and ran across this post and was wondering what the resolution was. My cell phone had a particularly bad day yesterday and I purchased an LG VX8350 which linked up with my Zumo and seems to work fine so far. The hang up feature seems to work fine on my Zumo. Just curious. confused.gif

Ken

Same problem here with a Sprint Katana - Zumo won't hang it up reliably. It works OK with the bluetooth connection that came with the cars but the Zumo gag's when the call ends (most of the time).

For the sake of all the others out there who are thinking about Zumos- be sure your particular phone is on the Garmin list of devices that do play well with others... some work better than others. The good ones are listed.

Go to the Garmin website and look around.... so you wont have to go into problem solving and bitching mode later.

Archived