IGNORED

Sirius Radio Installation Question

Ben_Ricci

I’m trying to decide the pros and cons of using the accessory port to power my Sirius receiver or hard wiring it to the battery. I want to share the receiver with my pick up truck and portability is a key factor in my thinking. The receiver will live in my tank bag for weather resistance and portability. It will not be mounted to the bike. Is there any downside to basically leaving the receiver plugged into the accessory port indefinitely (other than obviously not being able to use the port for another accessory)?

Is there a major advantage or disadvantage between these?

Option A: Use accessory port 100% of the time

Option B: Hard wire and power tank bag

Thanks in advance!

The ZFE controller (on your RT and 800) will leave power on to the accessory socket under some conditions if it sees a ongoing power drain. If you turn the Sirius off each time that shouldn't be an issue, and I don't think the power drain of it would be enough for the socket to be kept live anyway, but it might be something you'd want to experiment a bit with. E.g. - Turn the bike off with the radio on and make sure after the time delay it actually shuts down the socket and the radio.

On my Sirius radio you have an option for it to turn off after 1 hour of in-activity (no buttons pushed). I think you can set the time intervals. It works fine for me.

I don't think the power drain of it would be enough for the socket to be kept live anyway, but it might be something you'd want to experiment a bit with. E.g. - Turn the bike off with the radio on and make sure after the time delay it actually shuts down the socket and the radio.

I messed around with it tonight and it shuts the power outlet down and with it the radio. I also noticed in my poking around the ST has a spare unused connector piggybacked onto the power outlet, which eliminates the issue of not having the outlet available (should I decide to add another one--at least it's pre-wired). I might power the tank bag anyway, that way I can easily swap it to the F800 (The F8ST is pre-wired with an SAE connector that could power the bag). Thanks for your input.

Archived