IGNORED

Rider's backrest: sense or nonsense ??

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

I keep seeing photos of RT's (and other bikes) with these funny looking little back rests on them.

I NEVER see them in Europe (except on some cruisers), and I am wondering.... I can understand a backrest for the pillion who is not actively involved in controlling the bike. But for the rider !!?? eek.gif

It seems to me that 'using' this strange part means you have to slump and press the lower part of your spine into it. That in turn has all the marks of a BAD riding position (where normally you'd sit slightly bent forward with a straight back and in full dynamic control of whatever will happen).

Inquisitive minds want to know..... smile.gif

I don't usually have a backrest, but when I installed the Jesse topbox in the rear seat postion of my GS, I found that it was in just the right spot to put a backrest pad on the box. I don't use it all the time, but when traveling long distances it's nice to have that extra position to lean back into. I certainly wouldn't be using that position in the twisties.

29179665-L.jpg

I bought a back rest for my '97 RT thinking that it would help my bad back. Bad idea. It did exactly what what you said.

I discovered that the forward lean was better for my back than the backward lean the rest demanded.

Maybe for the taller riders it could help. But for me, nope.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I keep seeing photos of RT's (and other bikes) with these funny looking little back rests on them.

I NEVER see them in Europe (except on some cruisers), and I am wondering.... I can understand a backrest for the pillion who is not actively involved in controlling the bike. But for the rider !!?? eek.gif

It seems to me that 'using' this strange part means you have to slump and press the lower part of your spine into it. That in turn has all the marks of a BAD riding position (where normally you'd sit slightly bent forward with a straight back and in full dynamic control of whatever will happen).

Inquisitive minds want to know..... smile.gif

How often do Euro riders do 800-mile days? crazy.gif

When covering very long distances, it's good to have a variety of riding positions available. It's not necessary to maintain an "in full dynamic control of whatever will happen" position at every moment; cruising on long straight stretches of interstate highway where you encounter minimal traffic, it's nice to be able to relax from time to time. Stretch out, slouch, put your feet on the highway pegs, let yer guard down a bit. cool.gif

Francois_Dumas
cruising on long straight stretches of interstate highway where you encounter minimal traffic, it's nice to be able to relax from time to time. Stretch out, slouch, put your feet on the highway pegs, let yer guard down a bit. cool.gif

... yes, I figured that. Not much chance of that in Europe.... it's crowded and narrow here grin.gif

I can't imagine not having one..I normally only have the very slightest of pressure against my lower back but it is very comfortable to me..It is adjustable and I can slide the back of my butt sorta underneath it so the pressure is on my lower back..Also, as Mitch says. When on long comfortable rides I use my Sahara Pegs and back rest in a very wonderful combination.. I change riding positions often and the backrest just gives me one very comforatble position that I would not have without it..

You're right, there are kind of two basic ideas, philosophies of riding position: the bent at the waist, arms bent and down, leaned forward style, or the straight back, legs forward, arms out straight style. The former being more the riding position often advocated here, the back rest lend themselves more to the later. And as Mitch said, similar to forward foot pegs, at times useful just for a change of position in long hauls.

We had one when ridin the RT. I never used it, but Mrs Whip liked it because it kept her from slidin forward. Before the backrest we tried velcro on her bottom. It didn't work.

...and besides the little people need somethin to hold on to.

95309350-L.jpg

Francois_Dumas

...and besides the little people need somethin to hold on to.

That's true I guess... before looking at the picture I interpreted that differently grin.gifgrin.gif

Velcro didn't work ?? Bummer ! lmao.gif

... it's crowded and narrow here

François, you really should come south more often!

Personally, I'm glad I don't have to do an 800-mile day between interesting things to see ... tongue.gif

How often do Euro riders do 800-mile days? crazy.gif

When covering very long distances, it's good to have a variety of riding positions available. It's not necessary to maintain an "in full dynamic control of whatever will happen" position at every moment; cruising on long straight stretches of interstate highway where you encounter minimal traffic, it's nice to be able to relax from time to time. Stretch out, slouch, put your feet on the highway pegs, let yer guard down a bit. cool.gif

I think Mitch is 100% on with this one. Having your legs propped up on the fairing (feet up by the mirrors), leaning back into a sleeping bag that is strapped onto the rear seat isn't exactly the "ideal" riding position either........but then again, it worked for me when riding through Nebraska and Kansas grin.gif. They designed and built their roads with a straight edge.

On my daily commute (120 miles), and my normal long weekend trips I wouldn't even consider having a backrest. On the other hand, if I plan another extended high mileage multi-week trip......I will probably buy one. I got by with my sleeping back strapped to my rear seat for the last big trip (8500 miles in 19 days), but I was riding solo most of the time. Its not that I NEEDED the extra support, its just nice to have that extra option on the long days in the saddle when stuck on the highway.

Francois_Dumas

Damn, I'm trying to, but still haven't found a buyer for the house dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Is is just me? They just look like they are perfectly positioned to snap your spine in half if you get rear-ended.

And they can cause lesser back issues in lesser situations. I had one on H-D Road King (yes, I tried the "Dark Side" before I found my motorcycling self), thinking it would help my bad back. Not only did it not help my back, but over bumps that "hobby-horse" the bike (e.g., parking lot speed bumps, pot holes, etc.), it'd kick me right in my low back and cause more pain than relief.

I don't care for them either. I thought I had to have one until I picked one up with the Russell Day Long saddle. When using the rest, it seems to position me too far forward and then causes irritation on the thigh area where they contact the seat. So to sum it all up, 1) it doesn't help my back, 2) it puts me in an awkward riding position, and 3) it hurts the underside of my legs/thighs frown.gif.

I'd pass, but that's just me.

Personally, I'm glad I don't have to do an 800-mile day between interesting things to see ... tongue.gif

I'ts alright for you Nick, not so bad for Francois, and bloody wonderful for those in USA.

Try riding in the UK, you hardly ever get your feet off the ground before having to stop again. I'd love to go 800 yards, let alone miles.

I've started practicing a balancing act so when I stop I just sit there with my feet up. My boots wear out quicker than the damn tyres.

Cheers,

Graham

Damn, I'm trying to, but still haven't found a buyer for the house dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

in florida, we are reducing prices, still not selling.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Is is just me? They just look like they are perfectly positioned to snap your spine in half if you get rear-ended.

I do worry about that, but then I don't keep the backrest in all the time (basically for trips involving long interstate highway cruises), so exposure to potential rear-end collision situations is minimal.

Perhaps many of you folks were fortunate not to have "injured" your back during the early years when we all thought we were a close second to superman. I worked on my farm and carried loads that were in reality too heavy for me. It is now payback time.

I have a backrest on every bike I own as the back will blow out after about 45 minutes without some support. The RT backrest works fine for me on a 900 mile day.

YMMV wave.gif

Archived