IGNORED

Paved Rides

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I'd like to start two separate threads concerning rides. I think this will help the collating of information, when we get to that point. Since I've never ridden there, obviously I won't be putting together the paved routes. Anyone care to step forward and take the lead on this one?

I don't want to make everything GPS specific although I recognize that the GS rides may require it. I'd like to think that most of the paved rides can be routed via road markers or the other "turn right at the red barn, mile 10.3" and so on.

The BMWRO folks had routes well printed each JD Rally. I will dig thru my boxes 'o stuff and even look online for them.

Also having lived 160 miles west of there for 8 years I may have a couple eastern routes. Stay tuned, got work to do for now.

I tried looking for my old route map from one of the Chief Joseph Rallies, no luck. I'll look some more.

There is also a fold-out map of the local roads put together by a motorcyclist - really a good job. It has some advertisements around the edges and he had distributed it to some of the local businesses. I will try to find that also.

Rod

You did a lot better than me, Rod. I just plain can't find it, but I DID move after all. I went looking online for Oregon rides as well. Someone from this site started a really nice web site - I have to dig that up too as I didn't get it in the google.

There are just stellar rides all around there. Like from 97 I would take 293 to 218 (Antelope) to 19 to picture gorge to 26 to John Day. Brings tears to my eyes just looking at mapquest.

And if you go to Antelope, OR on mapquest, zoom in, you'll see sweeeeeeet GS roads I couldn't even take. There's logging roads in the Ochoco that take you up to 6 or 7 thousand feet and the views are hard to describe.

Seth will tell you about the shortcut thru the Ochoco I did take (and dumped us in a slow mo stop and drop on a rough dirt road).

And then he'll tell it again. dopeslap.gif

Antelope, OR. That reminds me. Remember the Bhagwan Sri Rajneesh? He was headquartered in Antelope.

The people of Antelope were pretty pissed off about all that stuff but after awhile they calmed down and decided to let Bhagwans be Bhagwans.

I found some folks locally that have a copy of the fold-out map I was talking about. See attached for a poor scan of it, but you get the idea. I'll try to track down the guy that made this, maybe we can get a bunch. Note that it has both paved and unpaved routes. It also has comments on some of the roads as well as the number of corners.

Phil - quite some time ago I posted a link to my website that has a few Pacific Northwest roads in it. http://rodjules.com/overall_map.php Maybe you were thinking of that website?? smile.gif

Rod

942763-JohnDayRoads.jpg.1faf812a70c484f9323b16302aa92968.jpg

decided to let Bhagwans be Bhagwans.
lmao.gif

Steve, you know better than to encourage him, it'll just get worse! wink.gif

Continuing with the serious part of this thread, I snagged three copies of the map I was referring to. It really is very nice and even gives mileages to John Day, Oregon - including from Chicago, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, etc. Maybe you could use the table of mileages to John Day in your announcement of the location? It has the name and address of the printer, so I could probably contact them and get more or ??? I could use this to develop some suggested loops if you want. Julie and I have ridden many of these roads.

Rod

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Maybe you could use the table of mileages to John Day in your announcement of the location?
Sure can...just post them here or send them to me. thumbsup.gif

I've got two people sending me copies of the BMWRO maps of the JD routes. I'm not sure if that includes the unpaved routes, but they should be here pretty soon. I'll post them as soon as I get them.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't be difficult to recreate them or even put together some of our own.

eg: a day ride to Terminal Gravity in Enterprise would be fun. Of course, we'd have to take a curvy route back.... lmao.gif

• 3 months later...
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I've sent a map out to all y'all. There's a local Oregon guy who produces around 15-20,000 of these motorcycle maps annually. Generally I think that they are a little too general for our needs, but they give good info to start with. Who knew that there were roads with 75 corners (Kimberly to Hwy 26), 140 corners (Spray to 26--GS road!) or 188 corners (Hereford, north on 245). I think I sent a map to everyone here and a few select others but if you don't see one in a week or so, let me know and I'll post one out to you. cool.gif

• 3 months later...
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

This is quoted from Bruce H in a different thread. I want to keep the paved rides together. There is some good stuff earlier in this thread too.

Cowboy Roads…

John Day is located in the heart of some of the nicest roads Oregon has to offer. I am sort of a “snob” when it comes to where I ride. There are enough nice ones I don’t travel on the marginal ones; however someone else might think they are fine. There are so many choices it is hard to describe all of them. Some imagination will be required. Every turn and intersection leads to new possibilities.

The ones I lined (enclosed map)are my favorites. Some lines do not connect so you would have to use whatever route to get back to your destination.

Gas is usually not a problem in this part of Oregon however some of the stores close up in the early evening; others seem to go in and out of business or might run out of gas. I keep my tank on the up side of half unless I know for sure where I am going will be open and have gas. Oregon does not have self service so once the stations close there is no gas.

US 26 between Dayville and Prairie City is a road I avoid if possible. The part between Prineville and Mitchell is stunning if you do it early in the morning or late in the evening when there is no traffic. There can be motor home traffic, log trucks, cowboys and LEO’s. This highway is a major east west route thru the heart of Oregon.

When riding thru each of the towns pay attention to the posted speed, they might stop for just five over. For those heavy in the fuel injectors there is a good chance the corners have rock in them. When you pass a farm house, lighten up a bit, a little courtesy goes a long way. If there is someone outside “wave” these country folks are sensitive to high speed motorcycles, especially “crotch rockets” going fast or not. They won’t hesitate to phone and the Sheriff has prime spots already picked out, you wouldn’t see him until too late and your radar detector is mostly useless in these hills.

Highway 97 is the major north south route; I also avoid this road if possible. Truck traffic can be heavy at times. Remember I live in rural Oregon so my opinion of “heavy” might be different than someone coming from the city. There are many days I will go one or two hours without seeing another car.

That said my first pick for a day ride from John Day would be east on 26 thru Prairie City to Austin where you would turn left onto the Susanville road. It would intersect 395 near the town of Ritter.

If you have more time instead of turning at Austin continue east on Highway 7 to Sumpter. From here you might go to Granite thru the woods (all paved) or east thru Baker City to Hells Canyon.

Highway 395 north from Mt. Vernon is also a very nice ride. This highway climbs over the mountains and leaves trees behind near the top at 4700 feet in elevation. You then drop down to Long Creek; here there is a decision to make.

Highway 402 turns left to Monument, drops down to the John Day River at Kimberly. Between here and Highway 26 is a nice piece of road and the John Day Fossil Bed National Monument.

A turn right at Kimberly or west, will wind along the river on Highway 19 to Spray. Between Spray and Service Creek is one of my favorite places along the river to ride. If it is hot there are many places for a swim.

At Service Creek you might turn left on 207 to Mitchell or continue on to Fossil. A really nice choice at Fossil would be to turn left onto 218 and ride at least as far as Clarno or Antelope, here turn around and ride back. If you continue up the hill to Shaniko there is a restaurant in the old hotel as well as other shops and an ice cream store. This is the junction with highway 97, you decide how you are going to get back.

From Fossil it is just 20 miles north to Condon and a turn East on 206. You might drop back down at the Riggs, the junction of 206 and 207. Continuing south the highway intersects with highway 19 near the town of Spray. Or 206 continue east to the junction of 395 at Nye and turn south back to John Day.

If your decision at Long Creek was to continue north on 395 you are in for a treat as the highway rises up then drops again to Ritter. Eventually it snake along the river then rises into the town of Ukiah. Here you might turn left on a paved Forest Service road thru the woods to Heppner or right to Starkey. Both routes are very nice if you like trees. The other choice would be to continue north to the junction of 395 and 74 at Nye. Here a turn left or West on 74 to would bring you to Heppner. Your cruise would be rolling hills, valleys and along the ridge lines.

Let's see if this works. It is an attachment with several recommended paved routes that I will also show separately. I want to see if I can attach this one first.

Rod

3735.thumb.jpg.85e6aec22f071ef115c05874b0e627b1.jpg

Galena Route, 111 miles. Be sure to do the western section of the Galena road in the cool morning because this gets very slick when it is hot. Watch for cattle guards in some corners.

Rod

3738.jpg.c581d5f262c6306c1c5fe1771e6aa9f5.jpg

Galena/Doolie Mtn Combo Route, 246 miles. Do the western section of the Galena leg in the cool AM because it gets slick in the heat. Watch for cattle guards in some corners.

Rod

OK, that is what I have for now. Everyone - take exception to any of these, we need the best, so have at it. Doc/Phil, you have ridden these before so chime in.

Julie and I are off for Germany on Tuesday, so we won't be replying after that. See you Monday, July 7.

Rod

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Wow. Thanks Rod! This is exactly what we needed. Travel Safe and we'll see you soon!

This loop is 120 miles and takes approx. 2:40 for a slow rider such as myself. I do this one nearly every year..

309045110_YwfkT-L.jpg

This loop is 128 miles and takes approx. 2:30. The stretch from Long Creek to Kimberly is well regarded by the local sport bike riders.

309045099_XYdnM-M.jpg

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks Wade! Between you, Rod and Bruce I think we have the paved routes covered.

Steve,

I saw the GPS discussion on the Unrally thread. The routes that I sent to you were screen captures from my Garmin MapSource GPS routes. If you want the MapSource file I would be happy to send it to you, probably email rather than on the forum.

Each route had a particular section that was the "prize" for that loop, if you would rather give them sections and let them make their own loops. Sorry I can't do a bunch over the next month, but whatever I can do before tomorrow afternoon, let me know.

Rod

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Cool beans Rod. Please email them to me at stevem@tpnevents.com

Thanks and have fun!

Archived