IGNORED

R1200RT

SK_in_AB

Just test drove an '06 RT with 10k miles on the odo. Compared to my 2002 RT it was much smoother - except I noticed a lot of mirror vbration at traffic light idle. The vibes didn't come through the bars, pegs or seat however.

Is this typical? Perhaps an indicator that the carb sync is off?

Just test drove an '06 RT with 10k miles on the odo. Compared to my 2002 RT it was much smoother - except I noticed a lot of mirror vbration at traffic light idle. The vibes didn't come through the bars, pegs or seat however.

Is this typical? Perhaps an indicator that the carb sync is off?

Depends on what you consider "a lot of vibration" to be, but yes they do vibrate. Not to the point where you can't make out the reflection.

You may also want to make sure the mirrors are secured. They're only held in by friction(three posts and recieving bushings) If the mirrors aren't seated correctly, the vibration will be more pronounced.

My mirrors shake a bit at idle and the balance is perfect. Once off idle the mirrors are crystal clear at any rpm. My RT now has about 48k. It is far smoother than any oilhead I've ever owned. Smoother than the airheads I've had as well. My RT is so smooth now I think I am spoiled by it. grin.gif

My RT now has about 48k. It is far smoother than any oilhead I've ever owned. Smoother than the airheads I've had as well. My RT is so smooth now I think I am spoiled by it.

This is what I like to hear - only 36k to go till my bike is silky smooth too!

Mine keeps slowly getting better even at just 4000 miles. I like the vibration at idle, it reminds me I have a twin, not a boring I-4. thumbsup.gif

I'm hoping my 6000 miles service in the spring or the end of this month, will make it another increment smoother.

I do find it runs smoother if you use a lower gear to keep it over about 3500RPM. I don't bother using 6th until at least 60-65mph and 5th until 50-55mph. I like that this engine feels more "relaxed" and will rev happily when needed but it's not normally required.

I didn't notice mirror vibration at idle on my 06 RT. It may be becuase I haven't paid attention to it. I agree it gets lot smoother above 3500rpm or maybe above 3000 rpm. I like to keep rpm higher than 3000 rpm. But above 4500rpm vibration comes back. I happened to find it became much smoother sometime after 8k miles.

Last year my wife and I were on a 2006 Honda ST1300. The 1300 V4 engine is arguably one of the smoothest engines ever built.

Does my new RT vibrate more than my ST? It absolutely does but the difference is not enough to give me any pause about my choice of having switched to the RT.

The one place that you'll notice a big difference is at idle.

You could start the ST with your helmet sitting on the seat and walk away, not giving any thought about it falling off the bike due to vibration. (That’s how smooth the V4 is). If I did that with my RT my helmet would end up on the ground in no time.

Nearly all of my riding is two up. My wife sees no difference regarding vibration once the bike is moving. I admit that I do see some difference at most speeds but the RT is plenty smooth enough for long distance comfort.

The suspension is another issue. She and I both feel that the RT wins hands down.

Archived