IGNORED

Some Guidance for MetroGuide

flyinon2

I am fairly new to GPS units, although I have had a Garmin E-trex legend for a few years which I mostly used for the electronic compass. Here is the background - I just purchased a new 2610 which will be coming with the new V8 maps. I have a copy of MetroGuide North America Version 6.X which I purchased a couple of years ago to load some detailed maps into my E-trex. I have a few questions... What is going to be the difference in the City Navigator that I am getting with the 2610 and the MetroGuide software? Do I even need the MetroGuide now? How do you keep the software updated with the latest restaraunts, hotels etc.? I assume that they charge for these updates because I see that Garmin has a version 8 of the Metroguide now and it doesn't look like I can upgrade to it for a smaller fee than what it would be to purchase it new? Sorry if these are stupid questions but like I said, I am new to the electronic mapping group!

What is going to be the difference in the City Navigator that I am getting with the 2610 and the MetroGuide software? Do I even need the MetroGuide now? How do you keep the software updated with the latest restaraunts, hotels etc.?

CN V8 will only come with one unlock code, for the 2610.

Garmin was kind and gave me a second unlock code for my Legend Cx, but I guess that's a rare occurance.

Routes will NOT transfer properly from MG to CN, 'hard' waypoints will, route waypoints will not.

I've found the data even on CN V8 isn't that up to date, but the only way to get updates is to buy the new release from Garmin.

Keep both map versions in your MapSource for now, unless you get another unlock code from Garmin, AND your Legend will support CN V8.

Archived