IGNORED

Warranty Extension on Parts?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I saw a little piece of thread over in "Bike Related" things, where 'Kinsley' was talking about his final drive failure. This is NOT A FINAL DRIVE FAILURE THREAD. This is a warranty question.

This tale is looking like it will have a happy ending, though it's not a done deal yet. I may come out of it with a "newer design" final drive and a 2 year warranty on an 05 GS with 35K on it for little or no money . I'll keep the thread updated as it unfolds.

My bike is used, and long out of warranty. BUT, my brother and several friends have BMW cars. They have said on several occasions that replacing a part does NOT extend the warranty. In my brothers case, his transmission went bad on his BMW 5 series a few months before warranty expired. BMW replaced it, no charge. 18 months later, the second trans bit the dust. BMWNA told him, "Tough toenails. The warranty extends to the VEHICLE, not individual parts.

I hope to buy a new bike someday. lmao.gif So, what's the experience in MC side of house. If a final drive, clutch, ABS unit goes out under warranty, does BMWNA extend the warranty on those parts? (I didn't ask Kinsley only because I realize that different people may have had different experiences)

DaveTheAffable

Sorry I put it in Motorcycle talk initially... In retrospect since we're supposed to tlak about stuff like extended warranties here... it's a better choice. smirk.gif

first, for background, I used to be a service manager at a BMW motorcycle place in the netherlands, a few years ago. Had this explained to me a number of times smile.gif

BMW warranty: a part that is replaced does not extend the warranty. A part that is replaced and charged to the customer, does carry it's own warranty (one year, generally, Ymmv on the other side of the pond..)

so, if you did'nt pay for it, it has no effect on the warranty.

HTH, Daniel

Had an ABS unit replaced a year + out of warranty and BMW picked up 50% of the cost. Then, the new unit failed 11 months later, and BMW replaced at no cost because inside the 1 year warranty of the "new" part.

I had an ABS pump just replaced by local dealer. Bike is almost 6 months out of warrantee. Part is about $2000. dollars (Thats 2 thousand!). Dealer verified that bike had been maintained. BMW NA bought the part for me, and current part is (I think) warranteed for another 2 years.

clap.gif

Archived