IGNORED

Running lights?

milesandmiles

milesandmiles

I just noticed that my fwd blinkers don't act as running lights on my 1100RT. Is this normal? My Goldwing and My wife's Suzuki use the front signals as running lights so I assumed it's the norm, is BMW different? I found a "signal minder" on cyclegadgets.com that claims to turn all four signal lights into low intensity running lights. Is this what it takes or do I just need to check plugs and wires?

BMW do not have running lights. In the EU it is a legal requirement that turn signals fully extinguish between flashes so no provision is made.

I have read here of people who have replaced the turn signal lampholder with a dual fillament bulb lampholder, keeping the stock turn signal wiring and adding a seperate feed for the low-intensity fillament to use as running lights.

Andy

as far as i know BMW bikes in Europe don't come with running lights. I have a signalminder on my '04RT. you can choose between 2 preset intensities. it is also a turn signal canceller in case you forget to turn them off.

milesandmiles

Thanks, at least I know it's on purpose. Last night my wife said she could hardly notice me in her mirror, I never knew. At least I don't have to rip all the plastic off and go on a wire hunt. clap.gif

M&M

It process is easier than first appears. I would alos go with LEDs vice bulbs when making the change over from 1156 (just blinking aka mono filament) to 1157 (running lights and blinking aka dual filament). [For ye Gods of all Electric, I understand that LEDs have no filament, I am just using it a descripter -- but I digress.] The LEDs are about $18 from many places but are shock resistant, have a much longer life and (the important thing)no heat like you get from a incandescent bulb.

I have been told to buy a snap-in type dual element socket from Shucks or your favorite auto parts store. That'll save you cutting the plastic where the old socket used to go. The hole is 1.1 inch(28.1mm) (the socket will say for 1 1/4" or 31.7mm but will fit - at least it did mine. There are two types of sockets one with three ears to snap in place and one with six ears (looks a little like a flower. Its been suggested to use the six ear type.

The LEDs will be polarized so they only go in one way. You should have three wires on the socket a black (neg or ground) and a yellow and a red. One red or yellow is the brighter or turn signal element but when you hook it up just touch a hot lead to each one and you'll know. The turn signal should be the brighter one.

You should hook every thing up before you bring a hot lead in for the running light element.

Most people use the lead from the pilot lamp wire (or parking light); however, you can run it from any source that is hot whenever the key is turned on.

Hope this helps

Michael

I use a signal minder on my 04 RT. It's a direct plug in with nothing else to change. With it you can program how many times you want your turn signals to flash before they turn off by themselves, which is nice if you are the rider that travels for miles with them on. You can click the flasher button and the cancel button at the same time to turn your turn signals into bright running lights (for day use), and clicking the same buttons again it turns your turn signals into medium running lights (night use) or click again to turn them off and they work like they do stock. All you do is replace your flasher with this device and away you go. I highly recommend it. Below is the link to read more about them.

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4

I use a signal minder on my 04 RT. It's a direct plug in with nothing else to change. With it you can program how many times you want your turn signals to flash before they turn off by themselves, which is nice if you are the rider that travels for miles with them on. You can click the flasher button and the cancel button at the same time to turn your turn signals into bright running lights (for day use), and clicking the same buttons again it turns your turn signals into medium running lights (night use) or click again to turn them off and they work like they do stock. All you do is replace your flasher with this device and away you go. I highly recommend it. Below is the link to read more about them.

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4

+1 on the Kisan Signalminder -- it's really great and adjustable too! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

When you install your signal minder, it will take the place of a turn signal relay in your fuse box. That's for an 1150RT, anyway.

When you do this, it's easy to break a tab on one of the plastic parts in the fusebox. No big deal, but maybe if you're forewarned you can figure out how to avoid it.

milesandmiles

Too late John. I busted a tab off the C.B. lid within days of owning my RT. My wife said the crowbar wasn't a good idea. tongue.gif

Archived