IGNORED

Stuck system cases

Dave McReynolds

Dave McReynolds

The system cases on my new K1200GT seal, really well. In fact, when I return from a trip to the mountains, the vacuum inside holds them shut so they won't open. Sometimes it takes until the next morning until the pressure equalizes enough that I can open them. I assumed that in a while leaks would happen, and they wouldn't get stuck, so I haven't done anything about it yet. But now I've had the bike more than six months and the seal is as good as new. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to drill a hole in the cases, and install a screw with a gasket, so I can unscrew the screw and equalize the pressure so I can open the cases when I want to. But it seems a shame to drill a hole in a perfectly good case. Any suggestions?

You can put a micro-size hole at the rearmost, lowest location on your inner bag half, say something like a size 58 - 60 drill bit from an index set. The hole could be positioned so that it would be very difficult for water to reach it. It would expel air in on the climb and breathe in on the descent.

Dave,

Mine does this also, but after almost tearing my fingernails loose trying to pry them open, I discovered the "trick". You can't apply symettrical force and get it open. I simply grab the top-rear lid corner using both hands (fingertips) and start gradually pulling it away from the case. This apparently "torques" the lid to where a small opening at that corner will start letting in a little air--you can hear a "sssss" for a couple seconds and then the lid pops right open with a big "whoosh". Works every time--at least when descending from 6,000' MSL to around 800' MSL. If you descend from 12,000' to 800' you might have a problem though tongue.gif Man, those seals work!!

Archived