IGNORED

US Motorcycle license valid in UK?

bahetrick

I need some input from riders in the UK.

It looks like I will be relocating to London for 18 to 24 months to work on a Project with my Company. Are US motorcycle licenses valid in the UK or will I have to apply for a UK motorcycle permit?

You may drive on a valid US or international driver's license for up to 12 months, after which you are theoretically required to obtain a standard UK permit. If you are cagey I would imagine there is some way to skirt this requirement for at least a little while longer, perhaps by leaving the country for a certain period of time and returning, etc.

UK Goverment Website on driving in the UK on a foreign license.

As Smiler says, you get one year then have to obtain a UK license. If you run over the 12 months then apply for a UK license you wil be restricted to 125cc 12bhp bikes until you pass the test, then a 33bhp bike for 2 years unless you go for a 'Direct Access' course on a 500cc bike when you get an unrestricted license (assuming you are over 21).

Given the differences in driving and road layouts, I would take a short course with one of the many private motorcycle training orginisations over here.

Andy

You may drive on a valid US or international driver's license for up to 12 months, after which you are theoretically required to obtain a standard UK permit. If you are cagey I would imagine there is some way to skirt this requirement for at least a little while longer, perhaps by leaving the country for a certain period of time and returning, etc.

Not pretending to have the foggiest idea about whether this would work, I can tell you that many years ago, when I lived in the UK, there were some vehicles owned by U.S. forces that, by virtue of how they were acquired, not allowed to be driven on their foreign registration for more than 12 months. The advice that we were given by the Ministry of Transport was that exiting and returning to the UK with the vehicle was sufficient to start the clock running all over again.

This is a somewhat similar situation, but you'd be wise to check with the British Consulate as to how they interpret the driving license requirement. Although our legal system is derived from the UK's, their laws can be substantially different, as can their interpretation of similar provisions.

Not pretending to have the foggiest idea about whether this would work, I can tell you that many years ago, when I lived in the UK, there were some vehicles owned by U.S. forces that, by virtue of how they were acquired, not allowed to be driven on their foreign registration for more than 12 months. The advice that we were given by the Ministry of Transport was that exiting and returning to the UK with the vehicle was sufficient to start the clock running all over again.

There are specific rules applying to US forces personnel based in the UK under bilateral agreements between the 2 governments.

The link that Andy posted is definitive on the issue and what is described there is the full situation.

Anyone residing here needs to be aware that UK insurance policies require that the driver have the correct licence - not having one will invalidate the insurance.

There are specific rules applying to US forces personnel based in the UK under bilateral agreements between the 2 governments.

The link that Andy posted is definitive on the issue and what is described there is the full situation.

Anyone residing here needs to be aware that UK insurance policies require that the driver have the correct licence - not having one will invalidate the insurance.

Right. The exemption for U.S. military forces is established under the Status of Forces Agreement, which carries the same weight as a treaty. Thinking back on it a bit more, I also recall that the MOT looked the other way if the dependents accompanying the military sponsor exited and returned within the 12 month time period. This may have been nothing more than a nod toward maintaining good relations. I don't know if your authorities would be so accommodating for others who tried this tactic; the website doesn't seem to address this specifically.

As Andy says, take a short course in motorcycle riding over here, we drive on the correct side of the road unlike the rest of the world lmao.giflmao.gifwell almost all of the rest of the world Oh!! and as has been posted before, we have lots and lots of roundabouts thumbsup.gif

the website doesn't seem to address this specifically.

It does mention the requirement for a UK licence from 12 months after the person "first becomes resident" I think you'll find that these days there will be no extensions for leaving the country - these may have been allowed many years ago, but nowadays it's common for people to travel around much more than they used to, so the clock will run from the date you take up residency.

12 months gives plenty of time to get qualified under UK rules. You can choose to ignore the rules of course, but my concern would be on the insurance issue, as unlike some other countries insurance companies here will simply invalidate cover if you don't have the required licence.

Thanks for clarifying that. Insurance--or the lack thereof--would be my big concern, if one tried to game the system. As I mentioned, my experience (long ago) involved a somewhat different situation, in which the MOT specifically said that military dependents would be okay doing this.

Even so, we occasionally found that the MOT would, from time to time, suddenly reverse a previous position on licensing, registration, etc., so even those exemptions that were set in stone were not set in stone.

If you want a comfy arrangement for a short course, there was one run out of the bike shop just downstairs from the flat I rented for a week last summer in Penzance, in beautiful Cornwall. They specialized in courses for holiday-makers. I saw them riding around cones in a big municipal parking lot before it filled up with beach-goers early Saturday morning. Then they started riding around town.

I envy you for getting to live in London, but I hope you bring a bucket of money because you'll need it.

I think I saw a website which talked about 'Ride Alongs' with Metropolitan London Police motor officers. You provided your own bike and gear but got to 'patrol' with them for a day. Lots of riding at high speeds.

Only rule was that you couldn't pass the motor officers. I think you'd have a difficult time just keeping up with them on their home turf!

Edit: try this link.

http://bikesafe-london.co.uk/skillsinfo.htm

I think I saw a website which talked about 'Ride Alongs' with Metropolitan London Police motor officers. You provided your own bike and gear but got to 'patrol' with them for a day. Lots of riding at high speeds.

Only rule was that you couldn't pass the motor officers. I think you'd have a difficult time just keeping up with them on their home turf!

You don't actually patrol with them, but they observe your riding (which means that they follow you) and give you a critique with a view to improving your riding. Police Forces all over the UK run these schemes and a number of us here have taken part - they are excellent.

Archived