IGNORED

2007 r12gs startup knock

franko

Greetings all!

Got my 07 R12GS back in June and still am smiling. Now have about 6000 on the clock. However, on a couple of occasions at startup it has made a knocking noise that lasts for a couple of seconds then goes away. Both warm or cold, on center stand or side stand. Sounds exactly like the noise you hear after changing the oil and starting. (And yes I do fill the new oil filter completly with new oil). I have had two K series bikes and never had this issue. My question: is this normal and not to worry? Many thanks

My 07 R12RT does it--in fact it will do it continuously just off idle if I barely twist the throttle--less noticeable when warmed up. Sounds just like a rod knocking--kinda scary, but so far everyone says "don't worry, all boxers do it".... eek.gif

Greetings all!

Got my 07 R12GS back in June and still am smiling. Now have about 6000 on the clock. However, on a couple of occasions at startup it has made a knocking noise that lasts for a couple of seconds then goes away. Both warm or cold, on center stand or side stand. Sounds exactly like the noise you hear after changing the oil and starting. (And yes I do fill the new oil filter completly with new oil). I have had two K series bikes and never had this issue. My question: is this normal and not to worry? Many thanks

Yes it is normal. For the oilheads since about 1996 in fact. The noise is the camshafts' chain slapping a bit until its oil pressure activated tensioner pumps up. There have been several versions of the tensioner in attempts to reduce the noise, but actually it is harmless.

Yes, my R1200RT does it, or rather it did. I changed to 20-50 and it went away!! By the way, I have ridden a further 7000 miles since my 'knocking, experience - so I wouldn't worry. I'm told the noise is related to the hydraulic cam chain tensioner. I too thought I had knocked the bottom end out..

Archived