IGNORED

Heated Grips, High Setting Not Working

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

I have lost the high setting on the heated grips on my 2000 R1100RT. The low setting still functions. I am thinking that the switch is probably faulty. Anyone else experience the same problem?

Yes I have, not with the heated grips, but with the brights on the headlight switch. I cycled it about a hundred times and it suddenly started to work. I assume I had some corrosion on the contacts and the cycling cleaned it off. I would be interested to know if the switch(s) can be taken apart and cleaned? tongue.gif

I just had the opposite happen, my bright stayed on all the time regardless of where the switch was. You can open the swatch with the phillips head screw on the bottom, then pivot towards the top. There is a tab on the top that locks into a slot. Less comlicated than it sounds.

Anyway, turns out there was a glob of solder that was real close or just touching between two contacts. I stuck my knife point between the glob and the adjacent contact and the hi beam turned off. It happened again two more times, untill I eventually snapped of the extra gob. Working prefect now.

mike

The system works by inserting a resistance in the line when on low, so if they work on low but not on high, I would agree it's most likely the switch.

After being out of use all summer, my heated grips would not come on without working the switch back and forth a

few times. After they start working, everything is fine for the cool season. I'm thinking some switch cleaner

spray might help here.

Steve Kolenda

I have pulled the switch. The switch has 3 wires, black, orange and green with a black stripe. In one position I have continuity between the green with black stripe and the orange and in the other position I have continuity between the green with black stripe and the black wire. Am I checking this correctly? I'm thinking from these results that the switch is fine. Any other suggestions on the problem?

I have pulled the switch. The switch has 3 wires, black, orange and green with a black stripe. In one position I have continuity between the green with black stripe and the orange and in the other position I have continuity between the green with black stripe and the black wire. Am I checking this correctly? I'm thinking from these results that the switch is fine. Any other suggestions on the problem?
You are checking correctly and I agree, that indicates the switch is good. Be sure it is truly zero ohms of resistance though, it takes very little resistance in the entire circuit to result in no heat.

The G/B is power to the switch, black is high heat power out from the switch, orange is low heat power out from the switch. There is a 1.9 ohm resistor in the orange wire for heat, so a bad resistor will cause no low heat but high working. Not the other way around that you have.

There are two connectors between the switch and the grips. X9527 is to the switch, check for voltage on pin 2 going toward the grips.

Connector X9315 is where the wires from each side come together to connect to the bike's harness, check there for voltage on pins 3 & 4 when in the high position.

You've got to be close... There is a break somewhere between the switch and X9315.

One possibility is the resistor. Try to trace continuity through the wiring harness from switch to grips.
A bad resistor will cause no low heat but high working. Not the other way around.
Steve Kolenda

Thanks for your help. The other possibility is that the switch was not working properly then after removing from the bike and cycling for a while it might now be working.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived