IGNORED

San Francisco to Bella Coola and back

eej1

Early in August a bunch of us in the extended San Francisco Bay Area set out on a trip to British Colombia, with Bella Coola being the farthest point. It was a great ride, and I’ll try and share a bit of it with this ride report. Now I realize that we were having so much fun riding that we didn’t take many pictures for long stretches…but here’s what I’ve got.

The first great road was 32 north from Chico, CA and through Lassen Park. Alas, no pics, I guess we were too close to home to think about it. 97 from Klamath through Bend was a drone, 197 in Northern Oregon was better, but it really got fun on the roads east of Mount St Helens.

DSC03328.jpg

We got stranded in Packwood, WA because 12 west was closed due to a landslide, so the next day we found some nice little roads west of Mt Ranier.

DSC03456.jpg

DSC03457.jpg

530 from Darrington to Rockport, WA was excellent, and 20 west across the Cascades was scenic, but too much traffic. It was HOT from Winthrop over to 97 and north into Canada. Great Japanese food in Princeton, BC. (easy to find, it’s the only Japanese food in town)

DSC03337.jpg

Here is Crown Lake near Lillooet

DSC03340.jpg

Green Lake by 70 Mile House

DSC03353.jpg

And The Hill descending into Bella Coola. The mosquitos at Anahim Lake before the Hill were the worst I’ve ever seen…

DSC03498.jpg

DSC03370.jpg

Not much in Bella Coola, but it was a nice little town

DSC03515.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

Bella Coola Ferry enroute to Port Hardy, Vancouver Island

DSC03380.jpg

DSC03378.jpg

DSC03397.jpg

DSC03407.jpg

DSC03415.jpg

Port Hardy

DSC03421.jpg

One of the great roads up there is 28 from Campbell River to Nootka Sound.

Here is Campbell Lake

DSC03429.jpg

And the Nootka Inlet

DSC03435.jpg

DSC03438.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

Victoria, BC from the ferry leaving for Port Angeles, WA

DSC03455.jpg

Olympic Range, from Hurricane Ridge. A great road, especially early before the cars get there.

DSC03611.jpg

A great find – the Quinault Lodge in WA just off 101. I want to go back…lunch was really good, so was the espresso.

DSC03488.jpg

The Astoria, OR bridge

DSC03490.jpg

DSC03497.jpg

Oh well, I only lost a day…Willamina, OR

DSC03500.jpg

Back in Northern CA, Scott River Road

DSC03503.jpg

West side of 36

DSC03504.jpg

Avenue of the Giants

DSC03508.jpg

Glass Beach, Fort Bragg. Had a good dinner (and beer) at the North Coast Brewing Company

DSC03514.jpg

DSC03521.jpg

This was a great trip with a lot of good times and fantastic roads. Maybe I’m biased, but for non stop curves for hours and hours, the route we took in Northern CA was the best: 96 west from 5, Scott River Road, south on 3, and 36. Can’t wait for the next ride!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Sounds like a fantastic trip. If I remember correctly, the road into Bella Coola was plowed by the local folks when the government dragged their feet for too long. It's downright treacherous when it rains, so good for you getting there before that point. How was the traffic up the Sea-to-Sky Highway? Lots of construction getting ready for the Olympics.

Great photos: here are my favorites:

DSC03370.jpg

DSC03515.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

Steve,

We didn't take the Sea to Sky Highway - we went into Lillooet from the south via 12 and then headed west on 99. So I can't comment on the traffic/construction on that part.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived