IGNORED

Question on R1200ST

progress49

OK, I was very happy with my 2005 ST, and I'm looking forward to riding my '07 ST. They are great bikes as far as I'm concerned. My question is this: Since they are no longer being brought into this country, what will the availability of parts be like? I know it shares lots of mechanicals with the RT, so I suppose my concern is about the plastic and anything else that is not interchangable. I was on Max's parts fiche and saw lots of "NA" next to available parts.

Any thoughts, any information? tongue.gif

Those NA's sound kind of ominous.

I had to replace the left lower forward fairing on mine in mid '05. The parts quantity for that part at the time was 12 in country. They sent the right side twice before they sent a left. And I was worried about getting the right color!

Frank

Good point!!! Better get this, just in case!!!!

LINKY

Parts will probably not be stocked, per se, but will have to be ordered. Expect long wait times.

Maybe Fernando will see this and give the straight scoop from the dealership perspective.

Great setup on your bike, it would be tempting if I hadn't just bought an '07. thumbsup.gif

Hoping BMW continues its pattern of supporting discontinued models.

I think Phil is right. BMW will still support the bikes, but you may have to wait if you need a specific body part. The running gear shouldn't be a problem for a long time.

Just don't bin it!

P.S.- My local dealer took an '05 ST in trade about a week ago, it's already long gone! It was an exceptionally clean example with less than 7000 miles. I think they were asking $13.8.

Frank

...what will the availability of parts be like? I... I was on Max's parts fiche and saw lots of "NA" next to available parts.

Due to drillbit operator error (read:I'm an idiot) I had to order a new left side internal cover (part of hte plastic). I went to Max's and they had N/A on thier site. So I e-mailed them and then went to my local Malcom Smith BMW dealership as well. Malcom Smith said they could get the part in one week, which they did for me. Max wrote back and said that they did nto know why their site said N/A becasue they could get all those parts.

I suspect what everyone has said is correct - long wait times for plastic. Most mechanical parts are goign to be easy to get for a long time to come.

JT

Does anybody know what the total number of ST's imported in 2005 was? My bike has a build date of 2/2005 and I wonder if that is an early or late build date for that model year. I am guessing that it has to be less than 500 or so.

Does anybody know what the total number of ST's imported in 2005 was? My bike has a build date of 2/2005 and I wonder if that is an early or late build date for that model year. I am guessing that it has to be less than 500 or so.

By serial numbers, the US production for '05/'06 was 536, as far as I can tell. Mine was a 2-05 build also, serial 278. It's been doing great.

Frank

Thanks for the replies, sounds like a small inconvenience for such a great bike. I'll try not to drop mine again. Human nature is funny, scarcity makes something so much more attractive to many. Maybe BMW's marketing analysts are trying to pull a fast one. wink.gif

About 5 years ago, I crashed a R100 Mystic. I believe similar number imported to US. Needed tail piece specific to Mystic. Came from Germany. But it came... along with a few other parts that may have been more generic. So I assume BMW will continue to make parts available.

Now that we know US production, we need a breakdown by color! Who is working on the Rally!

Steve C

NJ

Now that we know US production, we need a breakdown by color! Who is working on the Rally!

Steve C

NJ

It would be interesting to see the geographic dispersion of the STs in the US. I've never seen another one on the road except for at rallys.

By serial numbers, the US production for '05/'06 was 536, as far as I can tell. Mine was a 2-05 build also, serial 278. It's been doing great.

Frank

Where can I find the serial no. and build date on my ST? Is it embedded in the VIN No. or somewhere else?

Where can I find the serial no. and build date on my ST? Is it embedded in the VIN No. or somewhere else?

The serial number is the last 3 digits of the vin. Mine is in the 300's built 04/05, sold 08/05.

I have read (cannot recall where) that there are only slightly over 600 ST's in the US total. Don't know if that's correct, but sounds about right. By used bike distribution there seem to be about 10 times as many 05's as '06's and the 07's are so scarce as to be non-existent

I have read (cannot recall where) that there are only slightly over 600 ST's in the US total. Don't know if that's correct, but sounds about right. By used bike distribution there seem to be about 10 times as many 05's as '06's and the 07's are so scarce as to be non-existent

My '07 is 613, it was picked up from the dealer at the end of July. I've never seen one billed as an '06.

My '07 is 613, it was picked up from the dealer at the end of July. I've never seen one billed as an '06.

That sounds about right... The last known ST sold in the US was from a Chicago dealership in early September.

I never did find out what that serial number was (tried to buy it but the original purchaser wanted to keep it dopeslap.gif )

So... maybe 625 or so? That makes the ST a *very* rare beast indeed.

JT

The build date will be on the VIN tag. If I remember correctly, it was under the seat on my ST. You'll see it displayed in MM/YY format.

My understanding is there are really no '06 STs, but those purchased in '06 were basically unsold '05 inventory. '07s were special order.

Looks like my serial number is #488. I have to check on the build date.

Looks like we may have an instant classic on our hands. Perhaps we should start planning for a group ride, a different kind of 1%s. grin.gif

In addition, I just got this reply to an email:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your R 1200 ST. We appreciate your inquiry.

I am happy to confirm parts all parts are available for your R 1200 ST. Unfortunately, we at this location are not trained in a technical capacity concerning our motorcycles. Please see the service manager at your authorized BMW Retailer who is best equipped to address this concern and offer you technical feedback. I am sorry that we are not able to resolve this issue for you immediately.

Here's what we have so far (I may have missed someone or messed up a name/ss no. crazy.gif)

SN: Rider

595 bmurphywa

488 Ben_Ricci

260 Sliver

602 TedG

036 Bob_Sheehan

335 lightcycle

356 1bmwfan

320 jt1200ST

126 brianbmw

258 Newtfox

613 Progress49

278 duckbubbles

I suppose that Ben is nominated as this site's ST maven.

My local dealer (Lone Star BMW/Triumph, Austin) got six ST's in early '05. All six were sold within six months. Three stayed here in Austin, Two went to San Antonio (80 miles away) and one went to the Houston Area (150 miles). One was non-ABS and was wrecked and totaled.` The one from Houston came back as a trade-in. The totaled ST was replaced by the owner with another from out of the area. I have had the chance to talk with each of these owners and all really liked the bike, like me.

By the way, mine is charcoal/red.

Frank

You can add another one for progress49

RIP 048, totalled 8/7, 42K

Only problem I had was with side stand switch, great bike. dopeslap.gif

Here's what we have so far (I may have missed someone or messed up a name/ss no. crazy.gif)

You can add:

353 jaytee

04/05 build date

Riverside, CA

I love the idea of an official registry - anyone have a domain that could take it? We should include build date and city/state if possible as well...

JT

#379 with an 04/05 build date. Purchased in fall of '05 from Salem BMW, Salem, OR. Now resides in Bend, OR. 14K on it and it just gets better every time you start it.

Mine's #162, I'm the 3rd owner. 1st owner rode it about 700 miles, 2nd owner about 7,000, I bought it in March '07 and the odo sez 21,650. Best bike I've ever owned...

Ed

I would also be interested in the colors that were imported and in what numbers. My bike which is #258 it is in the Dark Graphite Metallic/Granite Grey Metallic.

595 bmurphywa

488 Ben_Ricci

260 Sliver

602 TedG

036 Bob_Sheehan

335 lightcycle

356 1bmwfan

320 jt1200ST

126 brianbmw

258 Newtfox

613 Progress49

278 duckbubbles

Put me down, # 265

And yes, there really was an '06 model. I knew a guy that had one in dark graphite /silver with ESA. I've ridden it. thumbsup.gif

I love the idea of an official registry - anyone have a domain that could take it? We should include build date and city/state if possible as well...
Well, the obvious one would be Shawn Wilson's domain (http://r1200st.us). I haven't seen him on here much lately though (2 posts since mid-July).

Oh, and you can add mine. #542 - June 05 build date.

According to the decoder, mine (#162) was built in January of 2005, and I have paperwork showing that it sold new in September of that year.

Ed

My ST #585 Production started 01/22/07. As far as I can tell it is the first 07 to be produced.

As many of you know I work for a BMW dealer.

I ordered it the day we received notice from BMW that 07's were special order.

We sold 2 05's and 3 07's counting mine.

Here's the latest:

028 SteveinGA

036 Bob_Sheehan

048 progress49 (RIP)

126 brianbmw

162 towboatguy

207 stpitt

233 xoomerite

258 Newtfox

260 Sliver

278 duckbubbles

320 jt1200ST

335 lightcycle

353 jaytee

356 1bmwfan

365 HexHead

379 BobsST

398 kopov260

444 stubblejumper

488 Ben_Ricci

508 grasslander

542 bakerzdozen

585 rbstone

595 bmurphywa

602 TedG

613 Progress49

There is at least a dozen other ST riders on this board who haven't checked in: BMWGirl, MChick, Mike, Rocket Bunny, HexST, DoctorC, Sardineone, Shawn Wilson to name a few of them.

Hopefully a moderator can split this off as a seperate thread?

I have a domain that could host a registry, or we could use the one that already exists tongue.gif.

(I'm not volunteering to be the ST riders secretary though. grin.gif)

The decoder gives me 0328 march 2005 production date. Second owner, the first owner ordered it straight from the Motorcycle show during the winter of 2005 while there was still plenty of snow on the ground... To my delight, he replaced it with a F800ST this year!!!

Archived