IGNORED

Tire on the Wrong Way

Perlova

I just noticed that the BMW dealer mounted my rear tire on the wrong way. The rotaion arrow is on the right side of the tire. It's a Metzler Z6. Been on for about 500 miles.

Are there any issues with putting it back on the right way now that its been on the bike?

While I don't think there are any issues, if the dealer did it I would be asking for a new one. After all, those first 500 miles are the best miles of a tyre's life. You can send the old one to me, somebody will need it

Bob's Tyre Repository

Tyrrey, Utah

grin.gif

The grooves are optimized in the direction for optimal water elimination. The actual pattern of grooves is in almost all cases opposite for the rear tire, as compared to the front one, when installed with the arrows pointing in the correct rotational direction. The reason for this is that the front tire is optimized for braking forces, whereas the rear one is optimized for acceleration forces.

Having said all that, take the bike to the dealer, tell him to smarten up and reinstall the tires PROPERLY, so the rotational arrows are pointing correctly! What do these guys use for brains?! I mean, just how hard is it to interpet the direction an arrow is pointing??

Tell him it must be rebalanced too!

I just noticed that the BMW dealer mounted my rear tire on the wrong way. The rotaion arrow is on the right side of the tire. It's a Metzler Z6. Been on for about 500 miles.

Are there any issues with putting it back on the right way now that its been on the bike?

You say the rotation arrow is on the right side of the tire? Not to insult you but when you rotate the tire does the arrow circle to the front of the bike? You could have an arrow pointing to the rear of the bike when the arrow is on the bottom of the tire but it would point to the front of the bike when the tire was rotated so the arrow was at the top.

No...the arrow rotates to the back of the bike....opposite the way that the arrow is pointing. I suppose if I had a reverse, it might work... grin.gif

Perlova, shouldn’t have hurt the tire to rotate backwards.. Unlike a front motorcycle tire a rear motorcycle tire can be used on the front of a bike IF the rotation arrow is reversed.. So the tire was designed to rotate either direction..

Just to be sure you won’t have any future warranty issues you might call or E-Mail Metzler help line..

Twisty

This exact same thing happened to me a few years ago, except it was a Michelin tire. I too was concerned, so I contact Michelin via email. They told me that I should expect no problem from having had the tire rotating the wrong way for the short time.

If you're concerned, I'd suggest emailing Metzler for their advice.

Good luck.

On race tracks with a predominant direction (faster, tire-wearing corners all going the same direction), we'll regularly wear one side of the tire out and then flip it around and run it the opposite direction until that side wears out. Never an issue, though you do lose the tread pattern advantages when displacing water.

I had a dealer do it to me too. While after some digging I concluded the tyre would probably be fine, I insisted on a new one just on the principle of the deal.

Then I bought a tire changer!

If it's mounted backwards won't it gain tread and last longer as it's used?

Seems like reverse Polish notation but it do have a place in the universe. lmao.gif

I thought the issue was the way the tire ply's are built and the direction they are going, that the tire can come apart. Just something I heard.

I thought the issue was the way the tire ply's are built and the direction they are going, that the tire can come apart. Just something I heard.

Kenneth, most M/C tire manufactures will allow the rear tire to work either direction as most suggest the rotation direction be reversed if a rear tire is used on the front of the motorcycle..

Twisty

I took the wheel off and returned it to the dealer. They were very apologetic and re-mounted the tire the right way and re-balanced.

I'm glad that I noticed it before too many miles went on...

In addition, the force of braking is at least as strong as the force of power application to the rear.

Actually that was the issue, braking. The ply's could pull apart with the wrong direction force. Again just something I have heard over the years and a long time ago at that.

Archived