IGNORED

Sputtering and spitting

bobmorris

"96R1100RT , just had 24k service completed and now when I go to ride, about three miles into the ride the bike starts to spit and sputter. frown.gif Almost like it was not getting enough fuel. This lasts for a bout a half mile and then every thing smooths out and is fine for the rest of the day.

Next ride, the same thing again. It has done this three times now.

Any thoughts? confused.gif

Bob Morris

"96R1100RT , just had 24k service completed and now when I go to ride, about three miles into the ride the bike starts to spit and sputter. frown.gif Almost like it was not getting enough fuel. This lasts for a bout a half mile and then every thing smooths out and is fine for the rest of the day.

Next ride, the same thing again. It has done this three times now.

Any thoughts? confused.gif

Bob Morris

Bob, you could have about anything from bad fuel to a failing HES to improperly reinstalled fuel tank lines, to who knows????

Any chance you have an aftermarket fuel controller on that bike (like a Techlusion unit).. If so, start with that as that is how those things act just before they fail.. If you have one, just turning it off might not help the problem & it should probably be completely disconnected..

If no fuel controller then take it back to the repair shop.. If it didn’t act up before the 24K service & it does now you have a pretty good idea who caused the problem..

Other than that about all you can do is go over the fuel system & test that,, then do what you can to test the ign system.. Verify all the fuel & fuel tank vent lines are reinstalled properly.. Look for a vacuum forming in the fuel tank after a short run.. Look for improper routed spark plug wires or a cracked spark plug.. Possibly even the 02 sensor going crazy for a minute at a certain temperature (it is probably just going into closed loop at 2-3 miles of riding) ..

You have a tough nut to crack there unless it acts up for long enough to quit completely or stay non functional long enough to find the problem..

Hope it is as simple as you having an aftermarket fuel controller & it is failing..

Twisty

daveinatlanta

I had a similar set of symptoms on my 04 1150RT - (two spark) and the culprit was a bad primary coil on one side. Apparently when the engine warmed up, the spark from the secondary plug in the bottom of the cylinder was sufficient to make the engine run smoother. You don't have the twin spark but you may have a defective coil that works when it is hot.

Bob:

If you just had the 24k service and now it's doing that, 99 out of 100, something that they did is causing your problem. If they replaced the fuel filter, it could be related, etc. They could have taken all the gas out of your tank and replaced it with some bad gas. Try some fresh gas. When the tank was off they could have messed with a sensor connector. They might have changed the TPS. Spark plugs could be related too if replaced.

Tipover Bob

Hold it for a moment you just paid for a 24k service and the bike is doing this? Hum, I would bring it back and ask for it to be running correctly as part of the 24k service. They should not charge you.

Howard

Archived