IGNORED

Rough idle after laying 1150RT down

EricAZ

Last Friday I managed to lay my 04 1150RT down (my fault, decided to drive through the puddle of gluck before making a left turn). Luckily there was very little damage to me or the bike. I scratched the left valve cover and the bottom of the left luggage but all else appears okay.

The next time I rode I noticed that it was not idling as smoothly as before. It appears to be a little rougher and slower. Before the incident it idled around 1100-1200 but now it is frequently at or below 1000.

Any thoughts as to what I might have mucked up? Occasionally it seems to clear up at an intersection but the problem quickly returns.

Last Friday I managed to lay my 04 1150RT down (my fault, decided to drive through the puddle of gluck before making a left turn). Luckily there was very little damage to me or the bike. I scratched the left valve cover and the bottom of the left luggage but all else appears okay.

The next time I rode I noticed that it was not idling as smoothly as before. It appears to be a little rougher and slower. Before the incident it idled around 1100-1200 but now it is frequently at or below 1000.

Any thoughts as to what I might have mucked up? Occasionally it seems to clear up at an intersection but the problem quickly returns.

Eric, start with the easy things like the lower spark plugs.. It’s possible that oil ran into the low side combustion chamber & fouled one of the spark plugs..

Sometimes a tip over can dislodge the fuel pump but that usually also effects the high speed operation..

Maybe re-check the TBI balance as it’s possible one of the TBI units moved & pulled a throttle cable..

If you dumped any fuel out through the rear evap canister maybe check that out as a plugged evap system can effect the fuel tank venting..

Other than that look the engine over for anything pulled loose or bent..

Twisty

Check electrical connectors too. Had that symptom on my 1150GS a few weeks ago. Turned out the electrical connector on the throttle body had worked loose. Snapped it back on tight and all was well.

Archived