IGNORED

Lodging at John Day

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Here is where we are with the Grant County Fairgrounds. They are providing camping spots with showers for $5 per "campsite" per night. See the agreement for specifics. There is also electricity available for an addl $5 per night. $10 is pretty cheap...I'll have to camp myself and we'll use the campground as HQ.

We can easily accommodate the tent campers in your group as well as provide a large conference center for meal service. New this year, there is wired and wireless internet in all of our meeting for the convenience of those who can’t leave their computer behind.

What I need to know is how hands on you would like the fairground staff to be. For the annual BMW Rally, we provide the caterers (upon consultation with the group), provide all the setup and cleanup and coordinate with the Chamber of Commerce any information that would be pertinent to your group.

My contact is also contacting the local motels to get favorable pricing. I have a feeling that she can do better than we ever could. At least, I hope that's true. I impressed to her that I need that pricing info promptly so that we can post the official notice to the greater good.

Here's the agreement that I'm going to sign as soon as I return to Seattle:

AGREEMENT FOR FACILITY USE Grant County Fairgrounds

411 NW Bridge St., John Day, OR 97845

Phone 541.575.1900

gcfair@grantcounty-or.gov

This is an agreement between the Grant County Fair Board and

Organization Name ____________________________________________________________________

Contact Name___________________________________ Phone________________Cell______________

Address ______________________________________________________________________________

City State Zip __________________________________________________________________________

Event Name/Type _____________________________________________________________________

Date of Event: July 8 – 11, 2008 ____________________________________________________________________________________

Expected Attendance: 150 BMW Motorcycle Riders more or less, with approximately 60 staying on the Fairgrounds for dry camping (See Below).

The Board agrees to rent the following described property located at the Grant County Fairgrounds, 411 NW Bridge St., John Day, OR 97845, to wit:

• Camping spaces (no more than 2 adults & 2 children per tent) with the use of restroom and shower facilities at the rate of $5 per night. Electricity (one hookup) is available at an extra $5 per night. The camping spaces will be paid by the tent camper not the organization.

• The Fairground staff will also contract with the caterers for at least one dinner and breakfast to be held in the Pavilion for the BMW motorcyclists. The meal selections will be decided by the BMW motorcycle group.

____________________________________ ___________________________________

Stephanie Walters, Fair Manager Contact

I'll post hotel prices when I receive them. I don't know if I mentioned that we're getting around the typical insurance requirement since I'm having the Fairgrounds coordinate the catering with menu/pricing input from me.

I'll show you my suggestion of the official public notification thread before I post it. We're getting there...

smile.gif

I like it!!

I say all the UN coordinating staff have a MASH 4077 tent set-up!!!!

Leslie can be Hot Lips. Steve, you can be Potter. Whip and I can be Hunicutt and Pierce. Wade, how about Radar? Phil can be Burns (much to the chagrin of Leslie's Jamie!!), Doc can be Father Mclcahy. Mike as Klinger. Pat as Winchester. Rod as McIntyre. Bill as Penobscot.

Miss anyone????

1122559302_006692100.jpg

I like it!!

I say all the UN coordinating staff have a MASH 4077 tent set-up!!!!

Leslie can be Hot Lips. Steve, you can be Potter. Whip and I can be Hunicutt and Pierce. Wade, how about Radar? Phil can be Burns (much to the chagrin of Leslie's Jamie!!), Doc can be Father Mclcahy. Mike as Klinger. Pat as Winchester. Rod as McIntyre. Bill as Penobscot.

Miss anyone????

Can I be Sidney?

Can I be Sidney?

Done!

250px-Allan_arbus.jpg

Thanks. He shows up occasionally, plays poker, gets drunk, does a little therapy, disappears. My hero.

Good God!! Winchester?? How about a 1 Star....or the helicopter pilot......or the anesthesiologist.........

.......or maybe the ambulance driver?? Hey...I know.....how about I just stand in the corner and break windshields with frozen chickens??

Pat

Good God!! Hey...I know.....how about I just stand in the corner and break windshields with frozen chickens??

Pat

You wanna be a Mythbuster??????

Adam or Jamie??????

Can I be Sidney?

Done!

250px-Allan_arbus.jpg

Thanks. He shows up occasionally, plays poker, gets drunk, does a little therapy, disappears. My hero.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice.

Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Greater words were never spoken.

Penobscot !!! Cool. Hey Hotlips, are we still married? BTW --- that's Lieutenant Colonel to the rest of you. At ease. I'll go back into the sun now. cool.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Have a look at this Google map.

I've plotted all of the hotels and the fairgrounds, denoted by the tent flying the flag. I still think we should headquarter at the fairgrounds. That's where I plan on staying...probably the way I can afford to go at all, by the time I get done buying farkles and so forth... grin.gif

The two hotels that look good are the first two listed on the map.

City of John Day has some good links. So does the Grant County Chamber of Commerce.

From the BMWRO Site:

Hotels Accommodations in John Day

Best Western John Day Inn

Budget 8 Motel

Dreamer's Lodge (closest to fairgrounds)

John Day Sunset Inn

Sonshine Bed & Breakfast

(541) 575-1700

(541) 575-2155

(541) 575-0526

(541) 575-1462

(541) 575-1153

Lodging Options in surrounding area

Bed & Breakfast by The River, Prairie City

Fish House Inn Bed & Breakfast & RV Park, Dayville

Mt. Vernon Motel & Trailer Park, Mt. Vernon

Oxbow Ranch Bed & Breakfast, Prairie City

Prairie Creamery Bed & Breakfast, Prairie City

Riverside School House Bed & Breakfast, Prairie City

Strawberry Mountain Inn Bed & Breakfast, Prairie City

(541) 820-4470

(541) 987-2124

(549) 932-4712

(541) 820-4357

(541) 820-4369

(541) 820-4731

(541) 820-4522

RV Park

Grant County RV Park (adjacent to fairgrounds) (541) 575-0110

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I have all of the basic information. What I need to find out is what sort of amenities the fairgrounds offer, in addition to showers. I know they have WiFi, but other than that I don't know what they have. Maybe a few picnic tables? Perhaps we can have some of them moved to our area. Hey Doc: where should I request our camping area be located?

I'll probably be camping, makes it much more affordable.

Edit: I need to find out what the RV rates are...surely some of our folks will want to bring the motorhome, like Team Schnauzer. smile.gif

...surely some of our folks will want to bring the motorhome, like Team Schnauzer.

Team Whip may do the RV this time. That is if we can't find some sucker to buy it first.

Do we, as an UNRuly bunch of UNorganizers, want to try and keep us together or not. Prolly doesn't matter but a MASH that sleeps together . . . gets in trouble together.

It might be good to try to keep us as close together as possible. Best Western is the most expensive one, but America's Best is in the same range as all the others. If those two seem to be the best, they might be the ones to try to work with to get enough rooms for all of us (if they're big enough), and use the others for overflow. The Best Western and America's Best seem to be very close together, facilitating walking between the two of them, and there's also a pizza place in between them.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

So I guess a good question for the UnCommittee is who will be camping and who will be staying in a hotel? I'll probably be camping...will significantly reduce my expense for the trip. OTOH, sharing a room with a pair of beds gets the cost down to $33 a night.

Keep in mind that the Fairgrounds has said that they can give me a room to use as a planning room for the duration. So it might be best to keep close to the camping area.

From most of the hotels to the campground is only 1/2 mile, so maybe this is a non-issue?

I would like to be as close to the camp ground as possible, and prolly in a room.

In Gunny it got old ridin across town between the camp ground and the hotel.

After midnight all the street lights just blinked yellow. That helped.

Whip

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Do we have an idea of the number of rooms at each motel?

40 at America's Best

39 at the Best Western

14 at Budget 8

25 at Dreamers Lodge

13 at Little Pine Inn

In addition, there are other Bed & Breakfasts and Motels not listed here.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Any "deals" (group rate discount) available from one of the hotels?
Apparently these are the discounted rates. The rates were put together by the Fairgrounds folks.
Any "deals" (group rate discount) available from one of the hotels?
Apparently these are the discounted rates. The rates were put together by the Fairgrounds folks.

Which one is close to the camp ground???

.....stumbling distance would be good.

eek.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Which one is close to the camp ground???

.....stumbling distance would be good. eek.gif

Either of the first two. Have a look at the UnMap .

So, what hotel do we want to commandeer for the UNpeoples that they call the UNorganizers?

Do we get a day or two in advance of the onslaught to put our reserves in??

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
So, what hotel do we want to commandeer for the UNpeoples that they call the UNorganizers?

We definitely get first grabs at the lodgings. Keep in mind for the camping folks that, at this time, they don't take credit cards. You can certainly put your name on a list but you'll have to mail them a check or money order. There won't be any problems for space considerations.

The only thing I'm waiting on before going live, is the RV prices at the Fairgrounds.

For the UnOfficial UnHotel I decree the America's Best Value Inn. Mrs. Wiener has spoken so it looks like I'll be at the hotel too... wink.gif

Try to get reservations tomorrow or Saturday and I'll try to post Sunday.

1. Little Pine's clean and cheap. No frills. A bit of a walk from the Fair Ground, though.

2. FWIW, I'll be camping.

3. Steve, I'd suggest the camping area by the river. It is close to the RV area, is the most secluded, and has afternoon shade, which might be real, real welcome. Disadvantage is that it's a bit of a walk (100 meters or so) to the plumbing facilities, but not too bad.

4. John Day is a lot smaller than Gunnison or Cody, so no matter where you stay it isn't far to get together.

Steve,

When do you need/want some/all of us to be there? Figured that we will have some last minute details to wrap up? One day before, two, three?

I am pretty open and flexible to what we need. I bid for my time off for next year next week so the timing is perfect!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

For the UnOfficial UnHotel I decree the America's Best Value Inn. Mrs. Wiener has spoken so it looks like I'll be at the hotel too... wink.gif

Some (minimal) info about America's Best Value Inn in John Jay.

http://www.bringfido.com/hotel/11358214

Pet friendly... smile.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
When do you need/want some/all of us to be there? Figured that we will have some last minute details to wrap up? One day before, two, three?
I'm going to arrive on the 7th so I figure the rest of youse should arrive then too, if you can swing it. Maybe the 6th, dunno exactly. Part of the arrival thing is determined on when we want to have registration open. Should we have reg open all day on the 8th? Meaning 10a-6p? Then we arrive on the 7th, have a group dinner, just us UnPlanners and prepare for the onslaught?

Reservations made at America's Best Value Inn in John Jay, Oregon for July 7th thru the 11th. thumbsup.gif

Registration "all day on the 8th?" There's enough of us to do so if you decide to.

Kinda turns in to a old friends/new friends "meet & greet" anyway. Plus gives attendees a place to go & be welcomed no matter what time they arrive.

And here I had grand visions of a military canvas tent with a still in the corner and a wood stove to warm my toes by. bncry.gif

Sorry I haven't been around much, they have me working 14 hour days seven days a week here in South Carolina. Cheers all.

And here I had grand visions of a military canvas tent with a still in the corner and a wood stove to warm my toes by. bncry.gif

Sorry I haven't been around much, they have me working 14 hour days seven days a week here in South Carolina. Cheers all.

Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the still, etc. is not gonna happen!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I hear ya on the friggin' work thing!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Jamie and I are confirmed IN on the 7th. Prolly gonna roll in on the 6th and roll out on the 12th!!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
OK, our reservations are made for July 7-11 at the Americas Best Value Inn, John Day.

Likewise! Me & Kitsap are gonna be roomies! grin.gif

We definitely get first grabs at the lodgings. Keep in mind for the camping folks that, at this time, they don't take credit cards. You can certainly put your name on a list but you'll have to mail them a check or money order. There won't be any problems for space considerations.

The only thing I'm waiting on before going live, is the RV prices at the Fairgrounds.

Mrs Wiener, Mr Wiener, and Kitsap in the same room??????????

Did I miss somethin????

Did I miss somethin????

Mr. Weiner must have spoken. Mrs. Weiner is camping!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Did I miss somethin????

Mr. Weiner must have spoken. Mrs. Weiner is camping!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I already warned him about noises from next door eek.gifdopeslap.gif I'll just make sure I go to bed with Al's earplugs in, AC/DC's Back in Black can drown out anything.

I already warned him about noises from next door eek.gifdopeslap.gif I'll just make sure I go to bed with Al's earplugs in, AC/DC's Back in Black can drown out anything.

Including sleep!

Archived