IGNORED

Sam needs a new bike

sgendler

Well, after a long time agonizing over it, it is readily apparent to me that, much as I like it, the GS has to go because I can't ride it for more than 20 minutes without thinking about a certain passenger that I'd really rather not be thinking about. Riding time is headspace time, and I don't like having her in my head, anymore. But that leaves me with wondering what I should be looking to replace it with. I'm only just starting the decisionmaking process, so I probably haven't ridden any of the candidates, meaning I could use some input from others. Just bear in mind that I'll probably ignore logic entirely once I find something that tugs at my heartstrings a little.

1. 1200GS - My 1150 served my needs admirably, but lighter and more powerful is always better. Not really keen on servos or on brand new bikes, so I might be screwed on this one. Plus, it kind of sucks replacing a bike with a near identical model when I could try something entirely new.

2. KTM - adventure or supermoto - The folks who spend time in the dirt universally agree that the KTM adventure does a better job in the dirt than a GS, but I never rode around on the dirt on my GS all that much, mostly because none of the folks I ride with do that, either. I certainly appreciate having the ability to do so when the inclination strikes me, though. Also, both the GS and the KTM can take Jesse luggage, and after my experience on the current GS I'm not sure I ever want to be without Jesse luggage again. On the other hand, I really don't want to do the 2-up thing, so I'm not sure it matters. My next serious girlfriend is going to ride her own bike, dammit! KTM supermoto is probably usurped by item 4.

3. Triumph Tiger - Probably too similar to my speed triple, and even less dirt focused than the other two. I do like the motor, though, and it would make keeping parts spares around a lot cheaper.

4. Ducati Hypermotard - drool. drool. drool. This might be the one. Utterly impractical for any kind of distance riding, but seriously, who the hell cares? My one fear is that it would completely obliterate the need to keep the Speed triple around, too, as much as I like that bike, I'm sure I'll like the Hypermoto more for the same kind of riding. Maybe I could ditch the GS AND the S3 and replace with a hypermoto and a Tiger (or something else). That's a lot of brand new bike for a guy who prefers to buy used, though.

5. Sport bike - I've never been one to shy away from sport bike touring. And I do miss having a sport bike around, particularly one with character like my old Mille. The 1098 gives me wood, but that's a new bike again, and an expensive one, too. I could do another Mille, but BTDT. I won't buy another non-GS BMW and the Japanese sport bikes just don't touch my soul as a general rule. And my luck with bike theft rules out the japanese bikes, too.

6. I could go back to my sport touring roots, ditching the dual sport concept entirely since I'm no longer willing to worry about passenger comfort and luggage capacity. I can't say that there's any sport tourer that particularly calls to me right now, but I hven't been paying a lot of attention, either, and I haven't ridden anything that qualifies for the genre in years. Suggestions in this category are potentially interesting

(this is off topic, but my office is in a movie studio lot, and there is a parade of cars from Gone in 60 Seconds - including Eleanor (a reproduction, I'm sure) - rolling past my office window right now. I think they are reorganizing the parking lot. Talk about big wood! We have the fast and furious cars here, too. Sorry, no camera)

OK, back on topic. Character and performance are my two most important criteria, although I'm not sure which should come first. Comfort and Luggage capacity come next. Twins and Triples tend to have the most appeal, unless the sticker says MV, anyway. Of course, there's always the "sell the GS and don't replace it" argument, which has a lot of merit, assuming you don't look at the sale of a motorcycle purely as an opportuntity to buy another one. So, given a budget of $8-$9K on top of the resale value of the GS ($7K-$9K, I think), what would you buy if you were me (my knees and back are perfectly happy and uninjured)? And yes, for argument's sake, it is allowable to consider swapping out the S3 in the budget.

--sam

I hate these damned threads. I just know they're gonna cost me money.

I'm torn (as others are) between a new GS and this little puppy.

artikel2484.jpg

Any reason the Multistrada isn't on your list?

Seriously, I really hated the feel of the bike. I didn't like the riding position, I didn't like the chassis, and I find it incredibly ugly, to boot. I've never really understood its appeal, since it isn't really a dirt bike, and the Monster does the street better. I guess if you really want luggage capacity, its the ducati for you, but I'm used to touring with a tankbag and a couple of throwovers, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

--sam

ShovelStrokeEd

Sam,

Have you considered a hyperbike? I have owned my Blackbird for almost 2 years now and the thing can still bring a silly grin to my ugly old face. They don't make bad long distance bikes either.

There room in this boat for one more? confused.gif

I went to the house of orange today and looked at a Super Duke since I've ridden the 950SM.

If I could get decent bags for it and a maintain decent enough range for commuting I'd be all over it...

Anybody wanna buy a DL1000? lmao.gif

If you're happy with the speed triple and are not going to do the 2-up thing, what role are you looking for the second bike to fill? Sounds like you don't need anything more than the speed triple unless there's a specific application you're looking for. Long distance roadtrips? If so I've always lusted after that Aprillia Futura that Eric posted.

If you're happy with the speed triple and are not going to do the 2-up thing, what role are you looking for the second bike to fill? Sounds like you don't need anything more than the speed triple unless there's a specific application you're looking for. Long distance roadtrips? If so I've always lusted after that Aprillia Futura that Eric posted.

Future is definitely an option if I can find a clean one in slate grey like the photo. I guess the role I'm looking for it to fill is to reinspire me back into riding. I haven't thrown a leg over a bike for anything other than running an errand in many months besides a single abortive attempt at a weeklong trip with a girl who turned out to not like touring at all. Generally a new bike fixes that problem, and once I remembered that I got kind of interested in the idea, which is a good sign. Gotta go, bela fleck just walked on stage. Gotta love the iPhone...

Gotta go, bela fleck just walked on stage. Gotta love the iPhone...
lmao.gif That's too awesome.

Also, that new 1098 is sexy so if it's just to reinspire you that would probably fit the bill as well.

Price is right! There are not a whole bunch on Cycletrader. What is listed seems to be around the price range you are looking at.

I don't think I'd pay more than 6500 or so for a future with miles on it. There was a time when you could get new old stock out the door for 10k or so and that bike is effectively unsupported by aprilia. If you crash it, you are going to be going naked rather than repairing, especially if you want it fixed in a timely manner. You texans are at least close to AF1, which makes things a little better on that front. But for 6.5k or so, I'd take the risk.

--sam

I do wish this iphone would stop friggin' correcting my spelling of futura.

I was about to note that the future probably loves the iPhone's predictive typing better than the Futura does.

I guess the role I'm looking for it to fill is to reinspire me back into riding.

Buell and/or Ducati. The two best handling machines on earth. Engines with a great sound and character. If you're seeking inspiriation on two wheels, you need not look further than anything made by those two manufacturers. Once you ride them, everything else is about as bland as tea and toast.

Someone suggested a 1098 - a great choice, but the ergos are a little aggressive. Alternatives (if you're open to the sporting lines) would be the Ducati 1000ds or 800ss supersports or the Buell XB12R Firebolt... They don't have quite the get up and go or top speed of the 1098, but keep all the fun of the right at real world speed limits.

...of course, if you wait another few months, Buell is releasing the 1125R, with Rotax power. Ergos not as aggressive as the 1098, with performance that's right up there.

If you're thinking Aprilia, I'd go with the 1125R instead.

I was gonna' suggest a Monster S4RS or a K12R (I've seen you ride grin.gif), they're sort of bookends to a Speed Triple, but if you're looking for an Ash Grey Futura I think I know someone that has one. It's a long way from Santa Monica, but it does have one of the best seats ever put on a sport tourer. smile.gif

Someone suggested a 1098 - a great choice, but the ergos are a little aggressive. Alternatives (if you're open to the sporting lines) would be the Ducati 1000ds or 800ss supersports or the Buell XB12R Firebolt... They don't have quite the get up and go or top speed of the 1098, but keep all the fun of the right at real world speed limits.

Just so you're aware. I once did an 8,000 mile road trip that touched 40 states on an Aprilia Mille, so aggressive ergos aren't generally an issue.

...of course, if you wait another few months, Buell is releasing the 1125R, with Rotax power. Ergos not as aggressive as the 1098, with performance that's right up there.

Yeah, that's the first Buell I think I'd consider purchasing. I like where Eric Buell comes from on a design standpoint, but I've never had any interest in owning a bike powered by that Sportster motor. Having owned more Aprilias than any other brand, I'm pretty enamoured of what Rotax are able to do with a v-twin motor, so if I find myself waiting that long, it is a real possibility. Id love to be able to buy a US made motorcycle with a killer dealer network.

--sam

Yeah, that's the first Buell I think I'd consider purchasing. I like where Eric Buell comes from on a design standpoint, but I've never had any interest in owning a bike powered by that Sportster motor. Having owned more Aprilias than any other brand, I'm pretty enamoured of what Rotax are able to do with a v-twin motor, so if I find myself waiting that long, it is a real possibility. Id love to be able to buy a US made motorcycle with a killer dealer network.

Buell? Killer dealer network? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I don't mean to beat the dead, rotting, bloated carcass of the horse but as I see it, the biggest threat to the success of the 1125 is in fact, the dealer network. While there are some competent Buell dealerships, too many Buell owners are treated like red-headed stepchildren when trying to have their bike serviced or trying to purchase parts and accessories. (I have experienced this first hand.)

It will be interesting to see what (if any) changes are made to the Buell dealer network to adequately sell and support the new bike.

I spoke with three local HD dealerships when - in a weak moment of 1125R lust - I almost put a deposit down on one. They all openly admitted that they were old-line HD dealers first when questioned about Buell service. It will take major, major success of this bike to turn that glacial attitude/practice around. If the latest Motorcyclist mag was right, they still have some nits to work out on that bike, but it looks promising. So, if I keep the RT, maybe the Tuono or Street Triple enters the picture. Lose the RT, then GS. I wish the VFR was lighter and had more character.

Sure, I get that Buell is definitely a 2nd class citizen at a Harley dealership, but still, when you break down in the middle of nowhere you know you are only going to need a tow for a 100 miles or so to find the nearest dealer, even if you have to wait a day or two for parts to arrive. Break down in Iowa on an Aprilia and see just how far you have to go to find parts - and if you break anything significant, you'll be leaving your bike behind for months, in the worst case, while you wait for the slow boat from Europe.

I checked out the Buell site and I have to say, I like the potential of the 1125R. It has got that "so ugly its kind of pretty" thing going for it that I've always like about the GS, plus the exhaust is completely out of the way of any luggage I may want to install, it's a V-twin, and a Buell chassis without a Harley motor. It sounds kind of ideal, really. Not sure I want to wait months for it, though. When is it expected to be in dealerships?

--sam

When is it expected to be in dealerships?

Production for retail bikes was scheduled to begin this coming Monday (10/15) but according to some postings I've seen from those in the know, production has been put back a couple of weeks - putting bikes in US dealerships probably around the end of November.

If you didn't already have a Speed Triple, I'd suggest the Street Triple or a Super Duke.

With that said, try the Buell. My friend didn't like it when he rode it at Miller a few weeks ago, but then again, you've got a lot more riding experience under your belt than he does...

You could always go a completely different route and just keep the ST until something really grabs you.

I know where you can get one of these!!!! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Yeah, but I'm not a BMW dealer, so what the heck would I do with that? The GS is the only BMW that gets any consideration from me, as its the only BMW that isn't outperformed by a similar model from another brand for less money. Granted, 'outperformed' is a subjective measure, but for what I value in a motorcycle, none of the other models can't be bested by something cheaper from someone else. Shaft drive, heated grips/seats, and ABS brakes just don't do much for me, but light weight, great handling, and power do.

And that answers the question on the blackbird/busa class of bikes, Ed. The shorter the wheelbase, the better, as far as I'm concerned. That's why there are so many naked bikes in my past. Even without a purposely short chassis like the speed triple, the wide bars and upright seating position provide leverage that make the bike feel like its short - meaning it goes where you think it, rather than where you point it. I've never ridden a 1200RT, but the fact that it handled like a much smaller bike was always the 1100RT's selling point for me, especially when compared to the K bikes.

--sam

Of course, the most beautiful modern motorcycle in the world now comes in the most beautiful color...

Yeah, I'm all too aware of that. Would I get my motocycle license revoked if I dropped a Givi topcase on the back of that thing?

--sam

Yeah, I'm all too aware of that. Would I get my motocycle license revoked if I dropped a Givi topcase on the back of that thing?

With a 3.3 gallon tank, you might not need a topcase. Ducati's selling a "system" tank cover and rear luggage rack; it seems it would be hard to complain too much about a topcase.

With a 3.3 gallon tank, you might not need a topcase.

It's been so long since I've ridden a bike that can travel much more than 130 miles between refills, I can't see that dropping down to 100 will have much impact. It is the only reservation I have about the bike, though. If it could get a reliable 130-150 miles per tankful, I'd have written a check today.

--sam

So what did we decide on for Sam anyways grin.gif

Actually, after putting in a nice 65 mile day on my bicycle, I think I've decided to just hang up my leathers for a while and wait and see if my interest doesn't come back of its own accord. Buying a new bike is a nice idea and all, but could wind up being an expensive experiment if I'm just done with riding for a while. I'm sure I'll still be on the board (after all, the only alternative would be to actually work all day long on weekdays), but you all may be seeing even less of me for a while, unless I show up with a bicycle strapped to my moto. It's a hard decision to make, as motorcycling has been a huge part of what has defined me for the last 7 years, but I think its the right decision to make.

Funny, I bought my first motorcycle as basically a suicidal impulse. I was massively depressed, but not quite suicidal, so figured I could buy a motorcycle and probably find resolution accidentally. Instead, by my 2nd mile on the bike, I knew I'd found something totally special and that was the last I saw of depression until this year. Now I'm giving up riding (or maybe I've started cycling again, depending upon point of view) to see if I can't find that kind of purpose again. Talk about coming full circle (and no, I'm not suicidal, so don't worry)

It's been a great period of my life, which I hope is only temporarily at an end, and I've met absolutely amazing people, who I'm sure will remain in my life for many years to come, but I think this is me officially bidding adieu to my identity as a motorcyclist for awhile. Thanks for the very many happy memories, everyone.

--sam

Buell? Killer dealer network?

All those who have had a customer support guy drive to the factory, grab parts and a design enginer to take to your dealership to take care of your bike before a track day all because the needed parts weren't in stock at the dealer (and the owner was too much of a dufus to schedule the repair with enough lead time).. please raise your hand.

I know local dealer support is just that, local, so on a global discussion board you'll get huge variances. Same applies to BMW, or any make.

Anyways, Sam, if you've not ridden the "thunderbolt" or whatever they call it motor, give it a shot. Sportster based or not, it's a good motor and a blast to ride. Having said that, a few more hp never hurt, and I'd be tempted by a Tiger or 1125R.

Maybe a 675 for you? smile.gif

All those who have had a customer support guy drive to the factory, grab parts and a design enginer to take to your dealership to take care of your bike before a track day all because the needed parts weren't in stock at the dealer (and the owner was too much of a dufus to schedule the repair with enough lead time).. please raise your hand.

I know local dealer support is just that, local, so on a global discussion board you'll get huge variances. Same applies to BMW, or any make.

Totally agreed - and I know from frequenting Badweb that there are a few Buell dealers who truly "get it" and their customers are benefiting as result. Unfortunately, that's not currently the case down here in my neck of the woods (North Texas).

I'm keeping a very close eye on the 1125 and will be watching to see how the dealerships step up. I'm not too optimistic though - the first bikes are supposed to be showing up in dealers beginning late November/December and as of this week, there has yet to be any 1125-specific training made available to the dealerships' service departments.

All that said, I'd own a Uly in a heartbeat if weren't so tall. It makes my GS look feel like a mini-bike. wink.gif

Sam, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I stopped commuting by bike earlier this summer and just haven't ridden much at all since. I just isn't what it used to be. I'm looking at selling my bikes and, while I'm fairly sure I'll get something new, I have no idea what that is right now. I don't feel that burning desire to ride, but that's OK.

A couple weeks ago, after about 3 months, I woke up wanting to go for a ride and ended up in Wrightwood. It was nice.

If you need to sell your speed triple, that's one thing. If not, how about putting it up for 6 months?

...I think this is me officially bidding adieu to my identity as a motorcyclist for awhile. Thanks for the very many happy memories, everyone.

--sam

We'll miss you, Sam. Be well.

But in case I can tempt you to change your mind, how about this nice Futura for $4900?

But in case I can tempt you to change your mind, how about this nice Futura for $4900?

Bastard!

I can't actually sell my bikes, as I don't own a 4 wheeled vehicle, but I could drop down to just the sidecar for plus something for freeway duty when I need to get somewhere farther than 50 mils away. That's the kind of deal I should be looking for, really.

--sam

russell_bynum
Sam, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I stopped commuting by bike earlier this summer and just haven't ridden much at all since. I just isn't what it used to be. I'm looking at selling my bikes and, while I'm fairly sure I'll get something new, I have no idea what that is right now. I don't feel that burning desire to ride, but that's OK.

A couple weeks ago, after about 3 months, I woke up wanting to go for a ride and ended up in Wrightwood. It was nice.

If you need to sell your speed triple, that's one thing. If not, how about putting it up for 6 months?

I stopped commuting on the bike because it was ruining riding for me. It got to the point where I only rode when I was commuting, or when I was doing a long trip. No little fun rides in the afternoons. No weekend day rides. Nothing. Just drone to work and back day after day, then go on the occasional trip to Torrey or whatever. On the long trips, it usually took me 2 or 3 tanks of gas (on at RT, that's a LONG way) before I started enjoying the ride and I wasn't in "Commute mode" anymore.

Now I ride whenever I want to ride (and I have time), and I'm enjoying it more than ever. I'm not doing anywhere near the miles that I used to, but who freakin' cares?

Sam, I think a break is what you need right now. Do whatever it takes so that you don't throw your leg over your bike unless you're absoluting BUZZING to go for a ride. If that means you buy a cheap car for running errands, so be it. I think after a while, you'll rediscover what you loved about riding.

The other option would be to take 6 weeks, throw some bags on the triple, and just GO. Don't take anyone with you, don't have a plan...just ride. I don't know if your current financial/job situation would allow for that, but I know how much you used to love those long solo trips.

i mIGHT (*note...M I G H T*)... be selling my 2006 Sprint ST/ABS..nice sled - I just got back from doing the Falling Leaf in Potosi, MO where it was flawless..hauls enought gear for a week, tent clothes, etc and does it super fast...very comfy...ping me offline and talk if interested....

hannabone@msn.com

Archived