IGNORED

Mileage Question

DrFood

I am looking at a 2002 R1150RT that has just over 100K miles on it. It appears that the owner has done an outstanding job of maintaining it. It has lots of farkles, which I know don't ad much to the reliability.

I've read some folks on forums say that RT's with this amount of miles are just getting broken in. I'm looking for advice and opinions on whether this would be a good deal for me to get myself into.

Any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated.

I've read some folks on forums say that RT's with this amount of miles are just getting broken in.

Hyperbole at best.

I am sure you can find "some folks on forums" that say just about anything.

Jerry Johnston

If I had to compare it to an old dog I'd say it's about 8yrs old with about a third of it's life left.

Just my opinion!

I've read some folks on forums say that RT's with this amount of miles are just getting broken in.
That's stretching it a bit... an oilhead is probably broken in by 100k miles. grin.gif

Seriously, that is a lot of miles for any motorcycle but in the case of an oilhead such a bike may still be a perfectly reasonable proposition at that mileage, depending on condition and cost. Even if the bike has been perfectly maintained you should expect to do some maintenance in the miles ahead though. A huge factor is whether you feel comfortable of doing all maintenance yourself. If you do then the cost of most of the things that might come up will probably be quite manageable, but at BMW shop rates and full boat for parts it could be an expensive proposition.

The 1150 in question is priced under $5500.

I am well aware after several months of reading posts on here and on other BMW related boards that opinions on forums are as varied as the color of folks hair and eyes. But there seems to be a high percentage of posters who continue to mention 75000 to 100000 miles as just the beginnings of a boxer if they are well maintained.

This particular bike has a very long list of service items that have been complted and the receipts to go with them. And I have spoken to the dealer who did 90% of the service.

Dealers I have learned will tell you they never make mistakes and never overcharge. And of course a bike they serviced is in prime condition.

I am simply asking if, through experience and knowledge, folks think I can buy a bike with that many miles and have a relatively long period of time to own it before it hits the parts heap.

Like it is commonly stated everyone has a certain body opening and everyone has an opinion. Some are just much more informed than others.

Thanks again. Keep posting your thoughts and any advice.

I am simply asking if, through experience and knowledge, folks think I can buy a bike with that many miles and have a relatively long period of time to own it before it hits the parts heap.
I think the simple answer to your question (for a bike that was and will continue to be well-maintained) is yes. I would have to reiterate my prior comments about self-service though.

The oilhead engine is as near-bulletproof as such things get and from many reports is not even halfway through its life at 100k. As you have read the rest of the drivetrain has had more than its share of issues but if everything made it to 100k miles on the bike in question then I guess you have one of the good ones. And of course there is all the other wear-related stuff that exists on any high-miles bike (shocks, brake lines, wheel and swingarm bearings, etc.) but it sounds like you are no stranger to that.

Anyway, I have 90k on my bike and I'd ride it across the country tomorrow if that tells you anything.

Anyway, I have 90k on my bike and I'd ride it across the country tomorrow if that tells you anything.
I have 126K on my '02 1150 RT and I just did ride across the country and back. I think that $5500 is too much though for a bike with that many miles, even a BMW. What do you know about clutch, pivot bearings, wheel bearings, brakes, shocks etc?

How many miles do you intend to put on it? If you'll be doing 50K a year, don't expect that bike to live long. If you're the average 10K rider, it has a lot of life left in it.

The Oilhead motor is pretty much bulletproof, and 100K miles on the motor is not excessive. There are a lot of other parts, though, that will be suffering from wear and tear at this point. On the 1150, clutch splines can go out at anywhere from 20K miles to infinity. Particular bikes seem to be prone to multiple spline failures, so whatever the service history shows, expect it to continue. If they've never been worked on, at 100K you have to start expecting issues with the tranny or driveshaft u-joints. The final drive on all Beemers is suspect, but if it's the original one, it could well go forever like that light bulb in the firehouse in California. You may find issues with the nose or tail subframes, depending on how the bike has been loaded and abused. The starter could get to be an issue at higher mileage.

Basically, you have to expect that on a bike with this mileage, stuff will break and you'll have to fix it. That's built into the low price. Can it be a reasonably reliable bike with that mileage? Sure. I rode my RT in the IBR at 130K miles, I rode it to Torrey this year at 150K miles, and I wouldn't really hesitate to take it across country tomorrow, except for the fact that it's overdue for a service. Granted, it left me stranded in Wisconsin (and could have left me stranded in Minnesota or Utah) with a broken fuel injection manifold this summer, but if you can accept that some sh*t will happen, it could be a good bike. Just don't whine too much something breaks. grin.gif

Here's what has been done to the bike

Clutch Package replaced at 60K

Fuel pump and all hoses around 65K

Starter replaced around 65K

Brake pressure modulator replaced around 85K

Battery at about 85K

Left and Right Throttle Bodies at about 90K

Throttle cables replaced 90K

Alternator belt about 90K

Front and rear shocks replaced w/ohlins at abot 60K

Spark plug wires about 95K

Had the 96K service (not sure what that entails)

So it's been pretty well taken care of, right?

Sold my '99 R1100RT two years ago for $4000, with about 170K miles on it. Still running strong with new owner at about 200K.

ShovelStrokeEd

When you start getting into that high a mileage, you are looking at some wear items that just don't come up on the normal course of wear and usage. At some point, the valve guides are going to get too worn to provide a good seal. Results are increase in oil consumption and some loss of power (you might never notice).

As previously stated, swing arm pivots and bearings, drive shaft U-joints, shock absorbers. Electrical niggles like switches and relay contacts, bulbs and, depending on local air contaminants contacts in the connectors on the wiring harness may all have some issues. This has more to do with the age of the bike than the odometer.

Entropy can have a devastating effect as bikes age. Fasteners corrode, threads wear and stretch, hexes become more round, as do Phillips screw heads, bulb sockets are particularly susceptible.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the bike if the price seems right to you but be aware, your maintenance costs are likely to be higher over the 2nd 100K miles than what the previous owner encountered.

I think the technical information is spot on. If the seller has done just an average job on maintenance (and it sounds like he's done more than that) the motor should serve you fine for another 100k, or more, who knows.

If it were me, I would calculate some "what if" situations as far as failures, and make sure that those costs are factored into your purchase price. Run some scenarios, maybe take the average, and present that to the seller as you negotiate. If he's a reasonable guy, he'll understand. If he drops the price, cool. If not, maybe you pass on this one. Keep in mind that while these are great machines, they are production motorcycles. It sounds like you are focused on this one...just keep in mind that 'tunnel vision' can be a bad thing (and I speak from experience!). I hope it works out for you- gun for a great (not good, GREAT) deal, and if not, I'd pass. thumbsup.gif

I am looking at a 2002 R1150RT that has just over 100K miles on it. It appears that the owner has done an outstanding job of maintaining it. It has lots of farkles, which I know don't ad much to the reliability.

I've read some folks on forums say that RT's with this amount of miles are just getting broken in. I'm looking for advice and opinions on whether this would be a good deal for me to get myself into.

Any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Taking everything into consideration, couldnt you find a newer,lower milage model available for similar or lower price.

Let's be honest - it isn't that cheap, so who is going to benefit? Only the seller me thinks!

Andy

Here's what has been done to the bike

Clutch Package replaced at 60K

Fuel pump and all hoses around 65K

Starter replaced around 65K

Brake pressure modulator replaced around 85K

Battery at about 85K

Left and Right Throttle Bodies at about 90K

Throttle cables replaced 90K

Alternator belt about 90K

Front and rear shocks replaced w/ohlins at abot 60K

Spark plug wires about 95K

Had the 96K service (not sure what that entails)

So it's been pretty well taken care of, right?

About the only think I don't see on the list (presuming normal maintenance stuff like filters, brake pads, etc.) is the swing arm and final drive pivot bearings. If they've never been done, by now they are likely due.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Never was "married" to this bike. It was available locally and sounded like it MIGHT be a good deal.

I've looked for over a year for a bike and will keep looking for the right one.

Thanks for the feedback, it was definitely helpful and appreciated.

thumbsup.gif

DrFood: I'm on my second used beemer. Got my 87 K75C with 98,000 miles for $2100 and my present R1100RS with 29,000 miles for $4400. Considering my R bike is like new and the later models didn't change much, I would suggest that the bike you are looking at should be gotten for $3500 - $4000. Yep, these babies can take lots of mileage, but why give your money away. Who really wants to buy a bike with 120,000 miles? No-one! The value just isn't there. Don't let the owner sell you on the mystique of the BMW. Buy based on the value.....

Tipover Bob

I agree. My friend values his 96 R1100RT with 12,000 miles at around $6,000. He is thinking of buying a new R1200RT after riding mine.

In owning a repair shop for 34 years, I have learned that almost everyone thinks they take care of their cars but VERY few actually do. Those who really do take care of them usually have a friend that has been waiting for them to sell and the cars never hit the market.

BE CAREFUL and don't forget the value will be near-zero if you want to sell. Most people value on appearance and mileage, not condition.

That's a lot of stuff replaced.Concider the bike like newish.

My RT-P has 115000 or so with all the stock stuff 'cept a clutch before the 60K miles, CHP is hard on them.

Lots folks put way too much money in the dealer pockets before the bike is really ready for parts going on gut feeling and what someone else said.

I've never done any valve work on a bike that had less than 100K. My 80/7 needed valve work so I got a crashed R100R engine/trans combo for less than the cost of a valve job.

Lotsa Beemers go 200+ miles without too much problem.

My buddy sold his 95 RS-A for 3200$ or so at the Top of the Rockies...fair price for a bike with 140K miles on it.

wave.gif

In owning a repair shop for 34 years, I have learned that almost everyone thinks they take care of their cars but VERY few actually do.

Most people value on appearance and mileage, not condition.

Well put thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

integritynumber1

Hi Dr Food,

This is a coincidence. I too am looking at the same model and year AND milage at present with a view to buying. The bike I am looking at presents as new looking BUT it has done 163,000 klms. My heart says its mint but my logic side keeps saying "dont touch it" cause there are others on the market that are cheaper with much better milages, they are just a little inconveniant to check out. I am going to try and resist the "newish looking " rt and keep looking. Its hard! Good luck.

Archived