IGNORED

ChiTown Christmas/Holiday Party

Ron_B

Even with the lack of snow so far, there was some rain and low temps tonight. Grayslake, dumped out a bunch of salt on a few roads I drove home on tonight.

Usual stuff, the car tracks are clear, but most intersections have a small pile that's perfect for a bike to slide on in a right hand turn.

FYI.

Well, it looks like the snow might spare us, with a little bit on Friday morning and then on Sunday.

I hate to appear like a grinch, fretting about snow at a, gasp, Christmas party. It's a real pain for me.

The main problem I have is the parking restrictions during a, ahem, "snow storm." The street is supposed to be cleared if there's more than 2" of snow. In reality, the plows hit the street when it's less than 1/2", and they get surly if there are any parked cars.

Some of you remember the party a couple of years ago when I asked some of the guests to move their cars when the plows came. One plow driver verbally assaulted my guests , shouting "move those f***ing cars or I'll have them f***ing towed away." I nearly got that driver fired after I e-mailed the Mayor and the entire village board . (I made sure to tell them what he said, and that he shouted it at both male and female guests) An extremely apologetic public works supervisor called me a few days later.

Since then, I stop at the Police station if it looks like it may snow that day and inform them that I'm having a party, and ask them not to ticket or tow. Still, it is a big pain in the arse to worry about. Last year, it snowed heavily the day before. The snow removal service contracted by my HOA to do the drives did their typically bad job, tearing up my yard, mixing mud with snow and getting it all over my driveway the morning of the party. (traversing the driveway is the only way into my place) I couldn't hose it off because of the freeze coming that evening, so I spread around some oil-dry.

I hope it doesn't snow. I hate snow. Really.

Arrrrrggg!!! dopeslap.gif

Forecast: Saturday chance of precipitation **90%**. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Daytime: SNOW! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Saturday Night: Rain! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The ChiTown Christmas Party Curse continues!!! grin.gif

I'm glad I learned how to drive in snow last year. I just remembered Gleno driving me to the airport 3 years ago after we took the pics of us standing in the snow after breakfast. Remember pizza when he and Jake showed up and surprised most of us. I am so glad to have spent time with Gleno over the years. Hug your friends!

Lone_RT_rider
...3 years ago after we took the pics of us standing in the snow after breakfast...

961403-D.JPG

One of the better moments in my life... I miss you all very dearly... frown.gif

Thank you Ron... bncry.gif

*big hugZ* to everyone....

Shawn

Chance of snow in the morning...then snow and sleet in the afternoon. Snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Highs in the lower 30s. Light and variable winds early in the morning becoming southeast 10 to 20 mph in the late morning and afternoon. Chance of precipitation 100 percent

I think Ron needs to stop having these partys..... bncry.gif

Well the graphic I posted comes from John Dee, who has been pretty good in his forcasting. Worse case we could find a larger parking lot and shuttle people to/from. The Washington Train station would be an easy pick.

We're a late IN!

Bike is broke, car is questionable, airfare's too expensive, so.... We're going to take Amtrak KC to Chicago.

Well the weather forecast all the way between Kansas City and Chicago is pretty sucky starting at about 3 AM tonight, so this will be, uh... "Interesting." Wish us luck!

Those of you driving in be careful out there!

Well, it looks like the snow might spare us, with a little bit on Friday morning and then on Sunday.

I hate to appear like a grinch, fretting about snow at a, gasp, Christmas party. It's a real pain for me.

The main problem I have is the parking restrictions during a, ahem, "snow storm." The street is supposed to be cleared if there's more than 2" of snow. In reality, the plows hit the street when it's less than 1/2", and they get surly if there are any parked cars.

Some of you remember the party a couple of years ago when I asked some of the guests to move their cars when the plows came. One plow driver verbally assaulted my guests , shouting "move those f***ing cars or I'll have them f***ing towed away." I nearly got that driver fired after I e-mailed the Mayor and the entire village board . (I made sure to tell them what he said, and that he shouted it at both male and female guests) An extremely apologetic public works supervisor called me a few days later.

Ron, should you EVER have another incident with a Village person, let me know. The mayor and a couple of the trustees belong to my church. One of the trustees is a decent friend and is more than willing to help me out and go to Mayor Perry as necessary, though I was set to do that myself, too. thumbsup.gif

I'm looking forward to a fun party, snow or no snow!

NOW IS THE TIME TO PREPARE. PERSONS IN THE WARNING AREA SHOULD

STOCK UP ON NON-PERISHABLE FOODS...FLASHLIGHTS...BATTERIES...AND

MEDICATIONS IN THE EVENT OF PROLONGED POWER OUTAGES. ALSO...IT

ONLY TAKES A SMALL AMOUNT OF ICE ACCUMULATION ON UNTREATED

ROADWAYS TO MAKE TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE

STORM BEGINS TO PREPARE!

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.ph...r+Storm+Warning

Enjoy the day Chi-Town Crew. I'd be there, except I didn't see Bud on the attendee list, and I have my limits. That, and, well, today's my Birthday. It's a great gift knowing you all are getting together to share laughs, memories, and thoughts toward the future.

I shall now bestow upon thee the Annual Food Blessing from the Grand Grillmaster From Beyond...

128650013-L.jpg

And so it begins.........

This Afternoon

Windy. Widespread snow...sleet...and freezing rain. Precipitation may be heavy at times. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. New ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Temperatures nearly steady in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph at times early in the afternoon increasing to 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph at times toward evening. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

Ron (and anyone else from Chi-Town) -

Can you recommend some interesting tourist activities in the Chicago Metro area that might fill an afternoon?

Sledding or skiing?

Hey,

This clown from florida made it slipping and sliding. Where is everyone?

Jake,

Happy/Happy Birthday. wave.gif

We had breakfast at the Copper Kitchen this morning, then said so long to Tasker, Mitch, Masako, Ken, Donna and Marty as they began their treks to faraway homes. It's amazing how far some people will travel for a good party with good friends.

The annual C-TCP weather curse took it's annual shot at us, and like usual, failed to put a damper on the festivities. When Chi-Town wants to party, we WILL party. When Marty arrived in the early afternoon, the snow had made the roads slippery as a(n) ***insert favorite witty simile here***. As the party drew near, the snow turned to freezing rain. Yuck.

Unable to attend due to weather or feeling under the weather:

Rich and Ady Elarde

Kathy Rayburn

Paul & Lynda Burkett

Tracy Laluzerne

Rebecca Vaughn

Glenn DiNicola

Lynda Murphy

Dave West

Bill Rayburn

Sorry you couldn't make it. You were missed.

Those that managed to make it:

Steve & Karen Knapp

EeBie & Sally

Rich & Roxanne Patenaude

Kathy Rayburn

Dennis Murphy

Marty Hill

Tasker Day

Ken & Kate Deline

Jon Diaz

Hans Fiedler

Fran Kokes

Allen Lykins

Mitch Patrie & Masako

Hank & Cindy Barta

Marc & Karen Zone

John Zolot

Vic & Char Ivanovic

Ken & Donna Harbeck

Jim Roskin

And surprise guest SHAWN!!! clap.gif (it was great to see you buddy!)

All had a good time. This was the 5th Chi-town Christmas Party that I've had the pleasure and privilege to host since taking over the tradition from Kathy in '03. Thank you all for gracing my home with your smiles and laughter.

'Til next year... wave.gif

So here is a weird event...

On our way home from my Grandma's 90th birthday party, we're driving north on I294. As we approach one of the bridges the southwest chief, Ken and Donna's train, zoomed overhead.

Figure we were doing ~70, and the train was doing at least 40. A strange coincidence! smile.gif

Ron, thank you for your time and hard work to give us all such a great time every year! This year's party was as wonderful as ever! It was great to see everyone again!

Today's drive back to Indy was what I imagine driving through a huricane would be like. Amazing wind and rain, but at least is wasn't snow!

Amazing wind and rain, but at least is wasn't snow!

Well, it was sleet, freezing rain, and snow yesterday afternoon. I know that because I was trapped at O'Hare for almost 24 hours. Ironic, with the party going on at the same time. smile.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Ron, thank you for your time and hard work to give us all such a great time every year! This year's party was as wonderful as ever! It was great to see everyone again!

Today's drive back to Indy was what I imagine driving through a huricane would be like. Amazing wind and rain, but at least is wasn't snow!

No wind for us, but virtually non-stop rain. We got home about 4:30, all's well. 9:30 now, the wind finally blew into town. crazy.gif

Thus spake Ron:

It's amazing how far some people will travel for a good party with good friends.

Ron, I haven't missed one yet since my first visit to Kathy's place in '02; I've enjoyed each one. Thanks a bunch for hosting, I'm looking forward to next year, weather be damned! My bacon goodies disappeared within a few minutes after I set them out; I think I'll have to make more next time... cool.gif

Well, it was sleet, freezing rain, and snow yesterday afternoon. I know that because I was trapped at O'Hare for almost 24 hours. Ironic, with the party going on at the same time. smile.gif

Geeez David, you should have called. I'm sure that we could have found some way to get you to the party. Heck, there is a Metra line that goes right through Grayslake.

frown.gif

Thanks, Ron. When I landed around noon, I found that my 2:40 flight was cancelled. I spent the rest of the day waiting on the later three flights, all of which didn't work out too well, so I didn't want to stay but couldn't really leave, as we had plans today--which obviously blew up. smile.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Funny, my flight went out on-time at 6:27 AM on Sunday... grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks so much Ron for putting up with a last minute guest. A special thanks to Steve and Karen Knapp for making me welcome in their home with little or no notice. As always, the hospitality was 5 star at Casa de Knapp. smile.gif It was great to see everyone once again. Not living as close to Chi-town makes it ever that much more difficult to get to see you folks. And of course, to get this.....

227809385-L.jpg

Thanks again! Happy Holidays to everyone!

Shawn

Well, duh, mine did too. I wasn't trapped there on Sunday, but on Saturday. smile.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Well, duh, mine did too. I wasn't trapped there on Sunday, but on Saturday. smile.gif

See, if you would have just intrinsically known that there was no way the weather would have worked out for you and booked your flight on Sunday morning, you wouldn't have had that issue. smile.gif What terminal did you fly out of? I was in B terminal.

Lone_RT_rider
I'm not sure what Terminal, but I think it was 3? I was on American.

Ahhh.... gotcha. I wasn't in terminal B, It was Terminal 1, Gate B7. I flew United thanks to a last ditch effort to get a cheap flight. It worked out ok for everyone except Steve, who had to drag my sorry behind to Ohare at 4 AM. Many thanks for that Steve.

Shawn

Thanks so much Ron for putting up with a last minute guest. A special thanks to Steve and Karen Knapp for making me welcome in their home with little or no notice. As always, the hospitality was 5 star at Casa de Knapp. smile.gif It was great to see everyone once again. Not living as close to Chi-town makes it ever that much more difficult to get to see you folks.

Thanks again! Happy Holidays to everyone!

Shawn

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well, Shawn. It was great seeing you up here in the Frozen North.

Thanks Ron for the invite, hospitality, good eats (everyone) and bedroom. It was great to see some of the people we missed at other things earlier in the year!

Thanks also to everyone who gave us lifts to and from the train stations.

Our Amtrak ride back was as uneventful as the one coming. Sure beats driving for the relaxation and speed, and flying for the convenience and luxury!

I'm not sure what Terminal, but I think it was 3? I was on American.

Yup.

American is based out of Terminal 3.

Shawn left out of T1, Concourse B.

Archived