IGNORED

Tire Pressure Monitor

Jones

I have written several times on this board that I believed the tire pressure monitor (TPM) to be a neat toy but that a regular pressure gauge was cheaper and better.

I take back everything I said.

Was riding yesterday and the rear-end felt kinda weird towards home. This morning during a pre-ride check, found the pressure in the rear tire critically low. With a big frown I started rotating the tire and there was the nail.

The TPM would have warned me of this potential disaster.

I take back everything I said (There, I've said it twice.)

Can a dealer retrofit this item? I've seen some after-market units, any recomendations?

This sucks.

The TPM can be retrofitted, but it will be pricey. The control unit has both the TPM and Anti-Theft Alarm system in it, although only one or the other has to be activated so you aren't paying for something you do not want. The problem ends up being the labor time for install and the time to update the on board computer with the new addition. I checked into it at one point at our shop and we came up with a rough estimate of about $750. It may be a little cheaper depending on who quotes it but I would expect around that price range from a dealer.

SmartTire, according to their Home Office, is no longer manufacturing a tire pressure monitoring system for motorcycles.

Vulcan Tires apparently purchased a fair number of the units and still sells them.

"They" (Person I talked to @ SmartTire earlier today) said the company will continue to "support" the product, as well as honor the warranty.

Joe Frickin' Friday
SmartTire, according to their Home Office, is no longer manufacturing a tire pressure monitoring system for motorcycles.

Vulcan Tires apparently purchased a fair number of the units and still sells them.

"They" (Person I talked to @ SmartTire earlier today) said the company will continue to "support" the product, as well as honor the warranty.

Aerostich has them here. Just bought one last month and installed it. Works well, monitors temps as well as pressures. thumbsup.gif

I have an 800S and it came with a TPM which I thought I didn't need but it warned me when I had run over a screw and I was able to make it back to a garage to get it plugged. Without it I would have had very little warning and would have had to try and plug it myself or call someone. So, if the tire pressure monitor is an option on the next bike I purchase I will get it.

Engle Motors in KC got me right in 30 minutes after I called them. $270 fir a new rear skin and an oil change. Small nail just off center and totally pluggable.

Now I have a spare rear tire. Just what I always wanted!

Oh well. Gotta pay to play.

Question about the SmartTire installation - How does the large clamping band get by, not interfere with, the valve stem inside the wheel?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Question about the SmartTire installation - How does the large clamping band get by, not interfere with, the valve stem inside the wheel?

The installation kit includes a small steel bridge piece (one per wheel), whose two feet rest on the rim directly on either side of the valve stem's base; the large clamping band passes over this bridge piece, and underneath the bridge is a gap that permits flow of air through the valve stem.

The installation kit includes a small steel bridge piece (one per wheel), whose two feet rest on the rim directly on either side of the valve stem's base; the large clamping band passes over this bridge piece, and underneath the bridge is a gap that permits flow of air through the valve stem.
Ah, I see. How did the whole thing effect wheel balance once installed?
Joe Frickin' Friday

Used to use one or two 1/4-ounce weights to balance; this time it took nine or ten, but once done, everything's fine.

During the initial installation of the sensors, you cut the overly-long band clamps to length, with only an inch of extra length remaining. If I can find similarly sized clamps again somewhere, next time I do a tire change I think I will install a countermass opposite to where the sensor is; then I'd be back to only needing one or two balance weights when installing a new tire.

I have had some problems with my monitor and sent it back to Vulcan. Have not had time to put it back together yet but Vulcan has been GREAT to deal with.

The TPM can be retrofitted, but it will be pricey. The control unit has both the TPM and Anti-Theft Alarm system in it, although only one or the other has to be activated so you aren't paying for something you do not want. The problem ends up being the labor time for install and the time to update the on board computer with the new addition. I checked into it at one point at our shop and we came up with a rough estimate of about $750. It may be a little cheaper depending on who quotes it but I would expect around that price range from a dealer.

What!?

I've had both pressure sensors and the RF module installed in the tail prior to taking delivery of my bike in June. The dealer told me the only element missing was the software to allow the on board computer to communicate with the module. No such software was forthcoming from BMW.

What else must be done to activate the system? Have you seen this done? I'd very much like to know more so that I can get my shop to finish the job.

Used to use one or two 1/4-ounce weights to balance; this time it took nine or ten, but once done, everything's fine.

During the initial installation of the sensors, you cut the overly-long band clamps to length, with only an inch of extra length remaining. If I can find similarly sized clamps again somewhere, next time I do a tire change I think I will install a countermass opposite to where the sensor is; then I'd be back to only needing one or two balance weights when installing a new tire.

I have installed two sets of these, and not really encountered an issue with unbalanced wheels. The amount of weights that i used was inline with the norm for the two bikes I did.

Jim cool.gif

Looking at the two aftermarket systems available I see the following pros/cons. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Kisan unit?

SmartTire

- Batteries required in the senders (but doesn't really appear to be a significant issue due to long replacement intervals.)

- Simple and clean installation, although requires tire removal.

- Lowest price ($199)

Kisan TireAlert

- Attaches to metal valve stems (doesn't require tire to be removed for installation or service of the sender.)

- No batteries (but requires a pickup to be installed near each wheel, a possible one-time installation hassle plus in the way during service(?))

- Displays both tire pressures at the same time (dual readout display.)

- Displays additional info (0-60, max. horsepower, rolling horsepower, etc.)

- Slightly higher price ($249 for on-stem unit, $299 for valve stem replacement model.)

BTW, how does the Kisan unit determine rolling horsepower (horsepower required to maintain a given speed)? I can see how it can calculate max. horsepower by knowing the weight (which you give it) and measuring acceleration, but how does it determine steady-state power requirements?

Archived