IGNORED

Akrapovic exaust for RT

vfrman

Hi guys,

I just noticed on Akrapovic's website that they make a slip-on for the 1200RT. Does anyone have any experience with this pipe? Anyone have it on their bike and want to shed some light on it's sound/performance?

I'm currently in the market for an exhaust system for my RT, and am leaning more towards the Laser unit... but the Akrapovic unit looks quite nice.

Thanks in advance!

Check this link out http://www.leovinceusa.com/cart/search.php?Model=R%201200%20ST&Make=BMW&Year=2006 I have had two Leo's on two different sport bikes with excellent results. Great build quality and a deep, smooth not too loud sound (the kit also has an optional quiet plug included). I confirmed with the tech guy at Leo Vince this is the same part number for the RT....they will be updating their web site in a few weeks, or so I'm told. I have not personally tried one on an RT but I'd imagine the fit / finish / final product is outstanding.. Only concern I have is the center stand stopper on the factory pipe. Not sure if it is on the Leo pipe or not. Price is right too!! Check www.pipecity.com for info (also had great results with their service / shipping speed in the past)

Keep in mind, the Akro is kinda pricey. I don't know an online source other than this but the price isn't far off from what I've read on Advrider.

Keep in mind, the Akro is kinda pricey. I don't know an online source other than this but the price isn't far off from what I've read on Advrider.

But, I don't speak German! How can I buy? blush.gif

The Akrapovic is a beatifully made slip-on. A little too noisy for me without the inserts in place (better not rant too much about that dopeslap.gif), but you certainly feel a boost in power when they are out.

In short, expensive but worth it.

204212803-M.jpg

I bought the Akrapovic for my R12S from http://www.evoluzione.net He had a pretty good discount from MSRP. He doesn't list the RT, but he might be able to get you one. No, I am not affiliated with Evoluzione.

after_akra.jpg

The R12S system is quite loud. Mine did not come with any baffles.

Well, you could try your local BMW dealer or even Chicago...

The BMW part number for the GS is supposedly 7160-7702-466 (or 71607702466 if you're looking it up on Chicago's site.) I'm not sure if that one works with an RT or not.

However, if you're looking for the aftermarket RT one, any Akra good dealer should be able to get one for you. Try contacting these guys

Well, you could try your local BMW dealer or even Chicago...

The BMW part number for the GS is supposedly 7160-7702-466 (or 71607702466 if you're looking it up on Chicago's site.) I'm not sure if that one works with an RT or not.

However, if you're looking for the aftermarket RT one, any Akra good dealer should be able to get one for you. Try contacting these guys

I bought my one direct from my local BMW dealer.

The Akrapovic is a beatifully made slip-on. A little too noisy for me without the inserts in place (better not rant too much about that dopeslap.gif), but you certainly feel a boost in power when they are out.

In short, expensive but worth it.

204212803-M.jpg

eisen you would'nt happen to have a sound clip of that Akropovic on your RT, would ya??? I'd love to hear what it sounds like but I can not find a sound clip anywhere!!

And I also agree,, BEAUTIFUL R1200S!! thumbsup.gif

I tried unsucessfully to install the Remus system last spring, and despite have 2 units to try they both had the same poor fit at the hanger point just behind the center stand.

I had a note from a board member who had just sold his RT and remembered my postings looking for help...and offered to sell me his Lazer 'Duo-Tech' system for a very good price, ( thank you Harold...). I agreed to give it a try and must say am pleased with the result.

1. The Lazer system doesn't even attempt to use the factory hanger point at the center stand. Since there is so much less mass and weight without the Cat Conv it doesn't seem to be required. It is included for GS installs I guess because of the possibility of 'grounding out'...

2. The Lazer uses Stainless Steel and so has a very nice color at the heads. Bonus.

3. Lazer retains the 'crossover' at the front of the headers and I feel this helps 'balance' the flow.

4. Without the connection at the center 'hanger' there is noticeably less vibration coming thru the bike.

5. The performance improvement is significant albet subjective...i.e. the front wheel comes up (surprise) easily in second gear, gulp. I don't have a dyno so thats the best I can do.

6. With the 'Duo-Tech' system you can switch the 'tailpipe' at the 'exhaust' end of the muffler in about 1 minute. Want a nice throaty rasp...or a rumbling burble...your choice.

7. I am super picky about fit and looks. Most folks don't notice the difference, I left the Lazer sticker off, and think it is stock by looking at it. Untill they hear it that is!

Just my personal experience wave.gif

Jim W.

Hey Jakfrost can you please post pics of your Laser system and guestimate it's weight. Does the R1200RT use the same system as the R1200GS? Did you have to make any modifications other than what's required for the original system? I looked up Laser systems and they only have them for the K1200S and the G1200GS.

Aloha

Hi Gordon, sorry to take so long to reply, just got home. Ahh, it'll take me a day or two to move a couple of things around to take the photos...but I'll do it.

The paperwork that came with the Lazer indicated that the system I bought works on a GS or RT 1200. I'll see if I can get a model or skew # for you.

No modifications req'd. Well, actually I wasn't happy with the fit where the muffler hooks up at the passenger foot peg point so I made another bracket out of stainless with a little different profile. But I'm a bugger for perfection, my curse, OCD. And it took some 'finagaling' with a floor jack to put some consistant pressure under the center of the system in order to get everything to line up just the way I thought it should,i.e., the muffler not hard against the bottom of the saddlebag and rubbing against the rear tire. Not too much to ask, eh? By using the floor jack, (thanks again Harold ), to push up hard on the exhaust at the center stand point I was able to rotate the muffler which brought it down and out. I now have 1" clearance under the bag and 1/2" from the tire. Goodenuff.

Love the sound, performance is a bonus clap.gif.

Jim W.

Boy you guys are really pushing the envelope on my technical limitations...taking pictures and actually getting them up on the board was a major accomplishment for me a few months ago, NOW you expect me to record sound and get THAT up as well?? Geeez eek.gif.

OK, I'll try. But I'll need some help. Like what should I use to actually record this sound...do I have to buy a Sennheiser mike and tape deck? Must be a simple way to do this confused.gif

Jim, glad to hear you're happy with the Laser system. Lifting that front wheel can be fun - kinda addicting. With my 2003 RoadGlide I didn't lift the front wheel too many times in 2nd gear but sure spun the rear tire easily - was FUN (no I didn't over inflate the Metzelers to do this ).

Can't remember if I mentioned to you that the guys I bought the Laser from said that on their dyno tests there was no Hp difference at all between the K & N filter & the stock filter.

Harold

I had San Jose BMW dyno my RT with a K&N filter. We performed 4 runs on the bike... with the K&N filter, there was a 2 hp gain at the very top.

Based on that, I wouldn't purchase a K&N for performance gains... but I would based on a maintenance standpoint.

I don't have to mess with it for 50,000 miles.

The biggest gain to be had with the RT is by getting rid of the cat.

Archived