IGNORED

Runs Nice When Cold

Perlova

The gearbox on my R1100RT seems to run nice and smooth when cold. Within an hour, when accelerating in 2nd gear it sounds like a bad Black and Decker drill. Makes me want to get out of second as fast as I can.

Would a heavier oil in the gearbox help?

The gearbox on my R1100RT seems to run nice and smooth when cold. Within an hour, when accelerating in 2nd gear it sounds like a bad Black and Decker drill. Makes me want to get out of second as fast as I can.

Would a heavier oil in the gearbox help?

Perlova, possibly.. Worth a try anyway.. More than likely it will just delay the gear noise until the thicker gear oil gets thin when very hot.. But still worth a try..

Maybe try something like the Red Line Heavy..

Twisty

Bad Black and Decker Drill" -- I Love it !! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Mine is the same way Perlova. Twisty reccomended Redline Shockproof heavy to me, but I have yet to try it. I have Mobil 75/140 synthetic in there now, and she screams like it wants out of there in second gear, but only when hot !

yes....I used to have a 3/8" Black and Decker drill, one of those orange ones, with really bad bearings. It worked, but whenever I used it, the armature sounded like it was about to jump out of the casing.

That's how I describe second gear on my RT.

Maybe I'll just bypass second and double shift into third.

What was that famous line from Blazing Saddles?

"2nd?. We don't need no stinken 2nd!"

It's funny that there is a thread up in the Motorcycle Talk section that describes a R1200 as having a Turbine sound. Man I would love to hear that.....That is what I expected to hear from my Beemer but alas, it was not to be.....

And everyone tells me that what I hear is normal..... frown.gif

The only vehicle engine I have heard that I would describe as a turbine is the Mazda Rotary. I rebuilt one once and they are an amazing engine !

I have the advantage of high frequency hearing loss. I take off my hearing aids when I go riding, and all I hear is the wind! Maybe, its just as well...

I have the opposite problem on my Subaru Outback. It sounds like a ringing phone when the ambient temperature is cold but purrs like a kitten in the hot weather.

Maybe I'll only ride my bike in the winter and drive my Subaru in the summer. Oh...wait...there will be snow in the winter...right?

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried the Shockproof heavy and it has made no difference to my "Black and Decker" transmission. 2nd gear is still a damn hemorrhoid to me !!

Archived