IGNORED

If not for the BMW community of riders like you

Kinsley

russell_bynum

One option would be to ride a bike that isn't prone to expensive failures, but still hang out with the BMW rider community anyway. smile.gif

That sucks man...I'm sorry to hear about this. frown.gif

Ken,

Under 36k, close to warranty date, I'd keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I agree with you, there is familial aspect that exists here.

One option would be to ride a bike that isn't prone to expensive failures, but still hang out with the BMW rider community anyway. smile.gif

frown.gif

Ditto...

Pretty sad commentary huh? bncry.gif

Now if everybody did that, we would no longer be a "BMW rider community", would we?

(and I'm not sure that's a bad thing)

Mike O

I noticed some dirt collecting near the hub after following Mitch at El Paseo X (maybe that’s the problem)...

I don't think that's it--when I have been following Mitch for a bit, I usually have problems with my brakes. tongue.gif

I admit I bought a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 so I didn't have to worry about this failure and that failure.

I also admit it doesn't handle like a Bmw. It is not very stable at high speed sweepers.

It wiggles all over at anything over 100 even on a straight line.

BMW does have some serious mechanical issues but I really wish I could afford one just for the way they handle when they are running properly.

Sorry to hear about that. I hope they do the right thing, at least eat part of the cost.

One option would be to ride a bike that isn't prone to expensive failures, but still hang out with the BMW rider community anyway.

But then he wouldn't need to write full page posts about how to check the oil..oh, wait, that was you. :P

cross your fingers.. maybe BMW NA will do the right thing.

FWIW, BMW NA just bought me a new ABS pump ! - NOT a cheap part -- and it's a few months out of warrantee. Maintenance was always done and documented, and my service guys checked the book. I was happy as a clam.

I'll be using the local dealer more as a result of his extra effort (he could have just shrugged his shoulders and said 'oh well' !). That's South Sound BMW, in case anyone's interested... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Good Luck !

Joe Frickin' Friday
I noticed some dirt collecting near the hub after following Mitch at El Paseo X (maybe that’s the problem)...

I don't think that's it--when I have been following Mitch for a bit, I usually have problems with my brakes. tongue.gif

Maybe you should replace your brake fluid with nitrogen. tongue.gif

I admit I bought a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 so I didn't have to worry about this failure and that failure.

I also admit it doesn't handle like a Bmw. It is not very stable at high speed sweepers.

It wiggles all over at anything over 100 even on a straight line.

BMW does have some serious mechanical issues but I really wish I could afford one just for the way they handle when they are running properly.

Wurty,

Lower your fork tubes about 15mm in the triple clamps and it will fix that wobble.

My frustration with BMW is tempered somewhat because I know the community would not be the same elsewhere, but my eyes would be on other brands if I only thought about the troubles I’ve had.

Masochists R Us. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

What a bummer, Ken. I don't want to sound like an alarmist like some members of these type of discussion boards, but this is the number-one worry in the back of my head with my 12GS. Still, it's an intermittent worry that only gets brought to the forefront when I read of a fellow rider suffering a failure such as this, especially with the added bit of "the-warranty-just-expired" information. Hopefully BMW will do you right and help you with this all-too-frequent, it seems, incidental failure.

Instead of worrying and getting into a frothy panic, I think I'll just keep riding and deal with things as they occur. Be where you are, not where you want to be or where you could be. Existential to be sure, but it keeps me sane. (Relatively. grin.gif)

Instead of worrying and getting into a frothy panic, I think I'll just keep riding and deal with things as they occur. Be where you are, not where you want to be or where you could be. Existential to be sure, but it keeps me sane. (Relatively. grin.gif)

Hi Magnuson,

I missed you at El Paseo X, hopefully I'll see you again in the spring. clap.gif

Yes, I guess my "change the oil in the final drive while you're at it" was a way of easing my worry of the failure once the warranty was over, but as you can see that didn't prevent anything.

This tale is looking like it will have a happy ending, though it's not a done deal yet. I may come out of it with a "newer design" final drive and a 2 year warranty on an 05 GS with 35K on it for little or no money . I'll keep the thread updated as it unfolds.

Remember you need to worry about the immobilizer ring to...... smirk.gif
Oh, great. You mean to tell me that BMW doesn't make the most reliable piece of equipment on the planet? eek.gifgrin.gif

I've made such a terrible mistake... dopeslap.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Maybe you should replace your brake fluid with nitrogen. tongue.gif

What you really need to look out for are the sticks he kicks up in Deals gap.... crazy.gif

Long story eek.gifdopeslap.gif

Shawn

Well, if it makes you feel a little better... My son and have a trip planned for this weekend, but, we may not be going because his 2006 fjr (14,000 miles) is leaking final drive oil on his rear tire. He ordered parts (2 seals) from a dealer about 700 miles away because he could not find any at local dealers. If the parts arrive tomorrow we will be able to go.

One of his buddies had a st1300 and traded it in after two year on a triumph because he was tire of expensive repairs.

It's not just BMWs.

Good luck.

Well, if it makes you feel a little better... My son and have a trip planned for this weekend, but, we may not be going because his 2006 fjr (14,000 miles) is leaking final drive oil on his rear tire. He ordered parts (2 seals) from a dealer about 700 miles away because he could not find any at local dealers. If the parts arrive tomorrow we will be able to go.

One of his buddies had a st1300 and traded it in after two year on a triumph because he was tire of expensive repairs.

It's not just BMWs.

Good luck.

that's true about expensive repairs...

My 02 Vulcan Mean streak had an issue with the cooling fans overloading the fusible link. The fuse would go without people noticing and water cooled motors don't do so well when the water's not cooling.

I got a letter from Kaw. notifying me of the condition and offering me the option to fix it myself and get some swag or have the dealer do it.

I think it cost me about nothing..... lmao.gif

I missed you at El Paseo X, hopefully I'll see you again in the spring. clap.gif

I was hoping to make the pilgrimage down for the final one, if even just for some of that fine ale that was passed around, but opted to go to Toronto the weekend before instead. Hopefully I'll be making it down that way again, perhaps for the newly christened gathering in the spring, but probably just to visit family and ride the roads of that area then.

Yes, I guess my "change the oil in the final drive while you're at it" was a way of easing my worry of the failure once the warranty was over, but as you can see that didn't prevent anything.

I'm wanting to change my final drive oil soon now that I've reached nearly the 13k mark on my 06 for the same reason. Perhaps it's not that important because apparently it has nothing to do with the failure rate or preventive maintenance.

This tale is looking like it will have a happy ending, though it's not a done deal yet. I may come out of it with a "newer design" final drive and a 2 year warranty on an 05 GS with 35K on it for little or no money . I'll keep the thread updated as it unfolds.

That is great to hear. Please keep us updated.

Here's an update.

I didn't ask how, but I ended up riding out with a new final drive without it costing me a dime clap.gifclap.gif

I have no idea how my dealer handled it with BMW of NA, but they came through for me, so the loyalty continues both ways thumbsup.gif

I understood there was a new design which has a drain plug, but it turns out the ABS sensors on my 2005 model don't match up with the new finals, so my new one still has no drain plug. I was advised to come in after 600 miles or so for an oil change.

Here's an update.

I didn't ask how, but I ended up riding out with a new final drive without it costing me a dime clap.gifclap.gif

I have no idea how my dealer handled it with BMW of NA, but they came through for me, so the loyalty continues both ways thumbsup.gif

I understood there was a new design which has a drain plug, but it turns out the ABS sensors on my 2005 model don't match up with the new finals, so my new one still has no drain plug. I was advised to come in after 600 miles or so for an oil change.

Rock and roll, my friend. smile.gif Nothing more to say than rock and roll. thumbsup.gif And ride! grin.gif

Great news Ken. I guess I missed this thread. I had very good service when my RT had the spline issue. I paid 50% and then 5 months later when the shaft and tranny went, I got all new parts and 2 years warranty.

There are good stories. It helps to be nice and reasonable.

Here's an update.

fan-freakin-tastic! clap.gif

Archived